“Not necessarily the best pick” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Monroeville
Altoona, Pennsylvania
“Not necessarily the best pick”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

The room was nothing like suites we have stayed in at Spring Hill or even other Comfort Suites. It was a room with 2 double beds and a love seat and desk. The closet was extremely small, the AC worked but had to be turned to 65 to keep room just cool. This room was a ground floor and always felt damp.There were water stains on the window sill and a coffee stain(which I wiped off with cold water and a Kleenex) on the desk. Also paint is peeling in three spots on the ceiling in the shower and one of the lights above the bathroom mirror was missing a cover. If you are looking for a true suite room-this is not it. Additionally the outside of the building was dirty at the entrance.The parking lot is small and the driveway "comes up very quickly" from Rte 48 and is a quick hard right to pull in. the staff was friendly-especially the lady monitoring the breakfast area. The room décor/design was pleasantly different.

Room Tip: Prehaps get a room on an upper level
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
directorofsales7, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
We would like to thank you for writing a review for our Hotel. I am sorry that you ran into several issues here. I do agree that it is very hard in finding the entrance to the Hotel. We are trying to work on the outside to make it more appealing. and the other issues I have people giving bids to be corrected. I hope that if you come back that you will notice that we are trying to be a better hotel for our guest to stay at. Again we appreciate all of your comments that we plan on fixing.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Upstate NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is a modest-sized four-story full-service hotel in the commercial area of Monroeville, not far from the Eastern terminus of Interstate 376. I paid $110 a night on business travel.

I have to say this building is the prettiest accommodations I have used in quite some time. Others have posted photos that give a hint of the ambiance of the place; I can attest to their veracity. The modern-ish glass and blond woodgrain look with blocky angles is consistently carried out through the rooms and into the common areas and even to the exterior of the building, giving the place a clean and unified look that can't be captured well in photos. The design is nevertheless practical and functional, my only complaint being the exclusive use of halogen spot lamps that cast stark shadows and complicated shaving, though even here a swing-out magnified mirror saved the day.

The hotel is not very big. I counted 40 rooms on the floor plan, and (not knowing how this escaped the notice of the local building permitting process) 35 parking spaces. Common faclilities are rather thin for the price level, consisting of a breakfast area and three pieces of exercise gear, plus a coin-operated clothes washer, and not much else. There is a meeting room that can be hired out for a small convention.

My room, besides being quite stylish, was very spacious. The sofa has a pull-out bed that can accomodate a fifth occupant. A desk and fridge were provided. The bathroom was roomy and functional. The fixures and appointments were in new condition and of appropriate quality for the price level. Wi-Fi was suitably fast for business use. I saw an ethernet socket but no cable was supplied so I cannot report on its performance. The staff was courteous and competent.

This property is an excellent choice if you need a spacious room and don't care about anything else. I, however, have to give it a merely average rating due to sub-par, for the price, common facilities.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
directorofsales7, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our Hotel. We appreciate all of the comments that we received from you. Yes our Hotel is a small Hotel of only forty rooms, But we do have exactly 40 parking spots in the lot. We do have rooms that are a little bit larger than some other Hotels. We do take great pride in our hotel so any comments or concerns that people have we look into to fix any problems. So we would like to say thank you again for the review.
West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is not your everyday Comfort Suites, hotel is very nice, when you walk in it is beautiful. We had a 2 bed suite. The room is decent size, bathroom is big and nice, has a TV on the wall in it, shower has a black and white marble wall, and the sink is red! Room had a large TV 42" small couch, small coffee table, a desk, fridge and microwave, room even had a doorbell! The beds were called queen although they are more like full size, had 4 pillows, firm and soft. And all the windows are round.
Breakfast was good, a variety was there including waffles and bacon and I dont know what the eggs were since I dont eat them often.
Just a few tips for the workout person or people traveling with kids there is a very small fitness room and no pool inside or out.
This isnt a big hotel but it is nice. The only downfall was when we arrived to see if we could check in early the woman working did not even look like she worked there, no sign of any uniform and messy hair, they had been booked the night before so we couldnt check in, when we went back that evening the guy setting at the desk did have a shirt on with CS on it but it was a wrinkled mess and he was not friendly at all, wasnt rude but did not greet you or say anything until I did. We seen 2 others working at the desk during our stay and the same with them, really just looked like someone came in there and sat down, I am normally a HILTON girl, where upon entering you are greeted with a smile and friendly person dressed in a manner that represents the hotel. The only friendly person we encountered that worked there was the older gentleman that worked the breakfast area, he was neatly dressed and friendly.
If you dont pay attention the the desk personnel you would never know you were at a Comfort Suites, I would definetely stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our Hotel. I am sorry that you did not get the welcome that our guest deserves. It is our practice to welcome everyone. I will look into your comments and see who you encounter and speak with whomever it may have been. I feel that you were treated very unfairly from the staff. I am very happy that you enjoyed the Hotel. The hotel is very different then some Hotels. But we do appreciate your comments about the Hotel. We hope to see you in the future to better serve you.
Wyoming, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

This comfort suites was nicest one I ever stayed in and I did like new modern look and feel of the place .Only down side was I wanted to stay in a room that had round windows but they were all book so we got a lower level room . Breakfast was good and considering area the price was good and easy access to road system

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
directorofsales7, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our Hotel. I am sorry that you did not get the room that you wanted. If you ever come back into the Hotel please let us know in advance and We will try to get you on the upper floor. We try to accommodate our guest with all of their request. I am happy that you liked the Hotel. We try to take pride in our Hotel. I hope to see you in the future to be able to serve you again. Again Thank-you
Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel when we went to see the Pirates play the Phillies. Not too far from Pittsburgh but much better price then the hotels in the city. We had a problem with our bill but didn't notice until we were home. We sent an email explaining and received prompt reply and our bill was made right. Would definitely use this hotel again. Easy to find and rooms were great value.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4th floor. Very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
directorofsales7, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write an review about our Hotel. I am sorry that your bill was not correct when you left. We appreciated that you brought this to our attention. We strive to make everyone stay here at the hotel the best. But sometimes we do make a mistake. I hope that the next time that you are in the area you will come back and stay with us, We look forward in the future to be of service to you and your family. Again Thank you.
Regina, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Perfect rooms, the bathroom was spacious, the property felt fresh. Breakfast items were regularly replenished and it was a perfect stay. I had two rooms booked and they automatically gave me adjoining rooms-kudos.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
directorofsales7, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our Hotel. We take great pride in our Hotel and try to make everything good here. We are very pleased to have the larger rooms. and when a guest has two rooms reserved we try to put them in the connecting double room if that is the type of rooms they requested. We hope that next time that you are in the area that you will come back and stay with us. We look forward to serve you in the future. Again thank you.
Glen Mills, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This place is super nice and have stayed here before. Room #112 has a severe mold issue. The smell is overpowering. Told the front desk clerk upon check out. I am not talking shower mold, I am talking some sort of structural or plumbing issue that was caused an extreme issue.

Nice place but room 112 has a major mold issue.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our Hotel. We are starting to have a few issues that was brought to my attention and I have someone looking into the issue. On the bottom floor part of the Hotel is lower then the ground. and with some of the wet weather we have been having is cause some damage that is giving us this smell. They assure me that they will be able to take care of this issue. So I am hoping to have this taken care as soon as possible. But thank you for letting us know of the issue for us to fix. I do hope that next time that you come this way you will come back to our Hotel.

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!