“Happy little discovery” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
brooklyn, ny
“Happy little discovery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Was staying in State College for a long weekend and at the suggestion of a few faculty members we tried this place out. It's a little gem in the area. Seems to be of a higher quality than most restaurants in State College. The food is very satisfying and the atmosphere is fun.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

State College, Pennsylvania
“Ales, food, and atmosphere done right; relaibly good and fresh food; a hip crowd; hidden gem away from State College”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

This is one of those places that you want to keep a secret but it is too good not to share with friends. We were told about Elk Creek burgers a few years ago and from the first visit it has been ideal. The proprietor, a nice fellow named Tim, introduced himself to us on the first visit. One in our group happened to be wearing a t-shirt from an Oregon ale house and he explained that Elk Creek was largely influenced by the Pacific Northwest style. We concur that his was a winning model.

As mentioned, the burgers were the first appeal. The beef is by far the freshest we have tasted in PA. Our preparation of choice is medium well, with cheddar. Although the bun can be a bit large removing the top portion provides just enough bread for dipping into any remaining spread, or for dabbing up salad dressing. Although we favor the burger, the meatloaf, salads, homemade potato chips, fries, hummus, salmon, and the turkey wrap all taste spectacular. Be sure to check the chalkboard next to the bar for specials we have had chili (oh-yeah) and trout (as good as when camping).

There are some very tasty ales; perhaps try the sampler to get a bearing on the flavor and aroma that is most appealing as each has a distinct note alone and with different dishes.

The crowd has always been very chic, locals and visitors alike; everyone is friendly in here. In particular, this is the place to go when you want to get away from the Penn State climate (nothing Nittany in there). The large windows, the color of the walls and the wood, and the local artists' works on the walls make for a bright and jovial setting. Live weekend music that we have heard include folk and bluegrass artists that make for a good vibe, although it may not be ideal for the conversational endeavors.

Although some folks may find the trek a bit cumbersome, we find that it only adds to the experience as Millheim has a great sense of community.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Penns Valley
“The Beer is great BUT . . .”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

As a local of the valley I am still thrilled that we have the Elk Creek Cafe in our area. However, over the 5 years it has been opened we have visited less and less frequently. The Beer is ALWAYS crazy good but the wine is overpriced and the food is lacking in diversity. I know everyone loves that they buy local but that doesn't mean you can't diversify the menu. They rarely if ever have a poultry dish (unless you are counting wings which I don't) and there are few things on the menu for children. They used to have individual pizza night on Wednesdays which was terrific but I guess that was too labor intensive for the chef. They do have some unique foods but again, if you want to go there frequently (which I used to do) sometimes the only thing of interest is the burger which they never spice up at all. We have attempted to tell the staff that the menu needs some work but again I don't think the chef is interested. If you go there for a one shot deal - you will love it but for me as local, some nights I would rather get my growler filled there and then go over and pick up my meal at the OIP! And as someone who works and travels to State College daily, on Friday nights I have plenty of places in State College I would rather go to than the elk creek. That being said, give it a try you will love the beer and atmosphere.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Lewisburg, PA
“Great food, great beer, spotty service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I love the Elk Creek Cafe. The food is always inventive and fresh and beautiful (if the soup of the day is mushroom, kill if you must but have some). The beer is top-notch and I'm partial to the Hairy John IPA, though that could in part be due solely to the name. The atmosphere is kind of interesting--it's a cavernous room which in lesser hands could easily become a loud echo chamber if more than five people were in it and talking, but the owners have put all sorts of sound-dampening buffers around the room so it's surprisingly cozy. But. The service can be dodgy. I've been seated right away and had to wait ten minutes for water and a greeting. I've had my food come out not as I ordered it, and then had to wait far too long for them to fix it. Or the staff has offered to get more of X (water, another beer, more condiments) and then forgotten about it. And the kitchen has gotten much better about getting their food out in a timely manner, but it's not unusual to have a long-ish wait for your food. It's not always like this; other times I've been there service from seating to leaving has been perfect. But it does happen.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pennsylvania
“Small village atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Creative menu and live music. Be sure to go early on entertainment nights, since the wait time can be long.

Visited July 2012