“Instead of stealing picnic baskets, this park steals your money!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mill Run
Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park
You added Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park to your Saves list
P.O. Box 91, Mill Run, PA   |
Hotel deals
Tarentum PA
“Instead of stealing picnic baskets, this park steals your money!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2008

We rented a cottage for the 7 members of my a family, and rented a golf cart during our stay as well. Our stay was for 4 nights, and this was our first visit to the park. I did do a great deal of intranet research on the campground prior to the trip, and found no significant complaints to hinder a reservation. We arrived at 2:45 to the Mill Run facility, and were told that our cabin “was not even cleaned yet” and that we needed to drive down to the pool area and wait. (It was to be ready by 3)Fortunately, the cabin was cleaned by 3:15. We were given our golf cart (one of 3 that we had, the first “had been acting up a lot” before we received it, the second had no headlights). With regard to the cabin, the web site shows the floor plan as having some sort of bench seating in the living space, which we did not have. Also, the floor plan shows 3 TV’s. We had one. The cabin also had some sort of fly and cockroach problem, which was not aggravated by our supplies as we kept everything in the refrigerator or covered. The thought of using the dishes and silverware and pots and pans was revolting, so we did not use anything there. Now I understand that this is a cabin at a camp, and flies are bound to be everywhere, but when we went and purchased a 4 pack of fly strips, the amount of flies reduced dramatically. I guess it would be too much to ask that the campground would automatically provide this, since we were paying $185 per night. There was a great amount of disorganization as when we would arrive at many activities, a staff member would often not show for 10-15 minutes after the activity was going to start. On our last night at the park, my family wanted to ride one of the scheduled rides, as we had not done so yet. We were turned away, as they would only take two groups. This is after we waited in line for over 40 minutes. Our children wanted to participate in one of the water activities, and we were told to speak to pool personnel. A staff member at the pool sent us up to the main office, and the staff at the main office said we needed to speak with the pool personnel. Not a great deal of organization going on. Other families who wanted to use the activity finally just gave up. Not very smart for the park, as they lost money on this. We ate once at the restaurant. The food was decent, the service was horrible. There were 7 of us, ordering things like hot dogs and hamburgers, and it took 40 minutes for our food to arrive. The waitress kept coming over to the table, several times, asking us to reiterate our order, she seemed unsure as to what to do. All this pales in comparison, however, to two main issues. On the intranet, this facility is listed as having 2 pools. One of the pools was to be close to our cabin. When we get to the camp, however, we find out that the pool is still being built. Advertising a facility that does not yet exist is very fraudulent. The entire time we were at the park, the pool was not heated.(It had been chilly and rainy for days prior, so the pool was COLD!) Using the swimming POOLS was to be our main activity. We were told by several staff members and many irate campers that often the pool is not heated until the weekends. We complained, but we were told it was up to the manager, and that the manager was “not available“. As I spoke to other campers, I realized that we were not the only people angry at the way this campground is run. I spoke to a great number of campers who were here their first times as well, and who indicated that they would not return. I complained to the corporate office, and my complaint was forwarded to the general manager at the campground. The replies I received are incredible. Basically, she insinuated many times that I was telling untruths, that what I was alleging was not correct. She even went out of her way to cover her tracks and concoct a fabricated story. We were lead to believe that we are the only ones to ever complain, or have any issue with the campground. Of course, she could not address the main issues, that the floor plan of their cabins, and the advertisement of two pools was wrong. She also went into great detail about their activity schedule, and how it's provided to each camper...basically inferring we have some sort of reading deficiencies and also don't understand schedules. The workers, with few exceptions, seem unhappy and overworked. They also don't seem to like children, they show no interest in kids, they just seem miserable working there.The laundry facility is in this tiny, narrow room. I got the heads up on which dryers to use, that actually heat and dry. (Some did not) And I kid you not, there were magazines in the laundry room from the 80's. Which is probably the last time the room was updated. All in all, when we realized what we paid out for the pricey cabin, the golf cart rental, and all the extras that the kids wanted to do that were not included, we shelled out quite a bit of money in 4 days. (Over $1000 just for the cabin and golf cart!!!) I wish we had never come to this place, it was truly the worst vacation we have ever taken. This is my first post on here, but I will write some others soon, all very positive! I have used this site to plan many vacations, unfortunately I did not know what nightmare I was taking my family to in this circumstance!

• Liked — Meeting other nice campers
  • Disliked — Everything else!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
ROAMING SHORES
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2008

Well we had fun on vacation up until the last day. This was our first experience with any Jellystones. This experience was not a good one. We will not be going back to this Jellystone in Mill Run, PA. When I booked we were told that a pool would be in the upper section. We got there and the pool wasn't done! So we just had to go to the bottom of the hill to go to the pool.... we dealt with it. Then we went to get waterslide passes and they wanted 25 bucks for it... when the website says 17. We didn't get the passes... but didn't complain. They started working on the pool while we were there so we were woken up to the sound of tractors and bulldozers... the noise continued all day. Still we didn't complain just dealt with it again.
Then when we got back from Idlewild... we went to shower the kids up and get them to bed. Turned on the water and we had NO WATER!!! No one in the upper section had water. This was due to the fact... that they were FILLING THE POOL. So we had to go down to the office and tell them we had no water. They turned the water back on for us. Jellystone said "sorry, but the construction company told us they would be done." Blaming everything on the construction company. So whatever....we voiced our opinions and that was that. By this time we were getting fed up with everything. The next day they came around and asked us if they could shut the water off for a few hours so they could run the water to the pool wide open. We were like... "uh no". Then the manager said that it was the water company's fault because they aren't supplying enough water pressure. So after everything, they expected us to go without water. We were so angry that Jellystone pushed the blame to everyone but themselves we asked to speak to the owner. The owner came up... and I will have to say I have never ever seen an owner treat customers the way that this guy did. He comes up to us and says "What do you want? I am a busy man and have lots of things to do." Then he tried to brush off everything we said... I told him that when I reserved these sites in December, I was told that the pool would be open. The owner told me that was a lie. He told all his employees that they should say pool will be open in July. Then I said that his website says 2 pools. He replied that it says that the 2nd pool was opening in July. (the site still says 2 pools and also new for 2008 2 pools, but we are the liars) Then he started cutting off whatever we said and I told him that he was a real piece of work. He says " I sure am, I am a [--]" This was said in front of 4 kids ranging from the age 5 to 8!!!!!! How dare he use profanity in front of our children. Then he told us that all we wanted was something for nothing..... uh we never said anything about wanting a refund. Compensation maybe, (like a free round of golf, or free bag of ice... just a little gesture to show they care instead of blaming other companies for it). He did say that he would refund our last night if we packed up and got out right now! !!!! (this was the last day that we were there anyway) So to fix the problem he wanted us to leave??? I totally could not believe the lack of concern or sincerity.

Also Jellystone was filling this pool and it had 1) no ladders, and 2) no fence around it. They did have yellow plastic caution tape. Real safe huh? If a child fell in there would not have been anyway for the child to get out . Jellystone in Mill Run really cares about its campers........ not.

The summary of my ramblings.... DO NOT GO TO JELLYSTONE CAMPGROUND IN MILL, PA!!!!!

• Liked — Spending time with family. We camped with my sister in law and her family.
  • Disliked — The rude and very unprofessional owner.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2008

We stayed at the park in May 2008. We had been there previously as well as the other Jellystone Park in Natural Bridge Virginia. The children love it! The best time is when the bears come out to enjoy the children. Overall our campsite was nice. The activities that they offer seem to be the same year after year. The staff is not very kid friendly, they do not seem to interact with the guests. For example while we were in line to ride the picnic basket express there was a staff member who just stood with her arms crossed and acted like she did not want to be there at all. Most of all the behavior that bothered us the most is that the whole entire staff would be seen smoking in front of the children, for a children's park I think there should be some examples to be set. The staff did not seem to care that while they were operating the hayride, picnic basket express, the train ride or the firetruck ride they would smoke. There are things that shoul be behind closed doors, and by all means that should be one of them! Overall the children had a good time and we will most likely come back again, just not sure that we will visit this location!

• Liked — the spacious well maintained campsites and the cleanliness of the bathrooms!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2007

On a recent 10 day trek across PA, we decided to ditch the hotel scene and camp a couple of nights in Mill Run. This campground was the perfect fit for our young family! The staff was very friendly. If you don't have camping equipment or don't want to drag it all along, they have on site campers(with heat/AC/showers) available for rent (which we did) and also have several cabins. There's kids activities from daylight to dusk: train rides, wagon rides, fire truck rides (a real one with lights and sirens going), candy bar bingo, pools, outdoor movies, 400 ft water slides, putt-putt golf, etc. It's located 3 miles from Fallingwater and ample hiking trails. There's even a restaraunt for those who don't want to cook over the open flame. If you want to be in the center of the activities, then camp in the lower section. If you want to be away from it all, then move to the upper section but plan for a healthy hike every time you or your kids want to do anything.

• Liked — camping
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park? Share your experiences!