“Horrible restaurant” 1 of 5 stars

Comp Champagne on Ice
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Milford
“Horrible restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a review of the restaurant, not the resort.
Just went to the restaurant for dinner. Absolutely horrible. I should have guessed it was bad when I first walked in and smelled the entranceway which smelled moldy. We had the buffet: 1) pizza: gross, my children hated it. 2) lasaga rollups: no flavor- could have been OK with some garlic/ onions, 3) ribs: horrible, tasted like something was reheated numerous times, 4) pork chops with gravy : the first 2 bites tasted pretty good, then I got to the middle of the pork chop-not so good, 5) meatballs: OK- but not really tasty, 6) pasta bar: vodka sauce: not good, no flavor. alfredo sauce: probably the best one there, marinara sauce: ok- no flavor. Perhaps a little onion and garlic would have helped. They had a huge salad bar and with pasta salads which was quite good. As for desserts: mousse: very good, rice pudding: very good, fruit dipped in chocolate: could have been good if some of the fruit (strawberries) weren't bad/moldy, canolli: good, cakes: horrible: all of them were stale except for the carrot cake which was very good. So, if you are going there, stick to the salad bar and choose either mousse/rice pudding or carrot cake.
Next, they had entertainment. A man singing Neil Diamond songs all night long. He was a good singer, but I think we are past the Neil Diamond popularity years. More updated songs would have helped. Only a few people gave him tips, which was really not that polite. I hand it to the guy, he tried really hard and was entertaining, if you liked Neil Diamond songs.
I would never come back to this restaurant again as I think for the price there are much better places to eat.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Succasunna, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed here Valentine's weekend. Yes I would agree that the place is a little dated and in need of some updates, but it was clean and comfortable. We Stayed in 8C (townhouse), it had the gas fire place between the queen size bed and the jacuzzi tub for two which was very nice and romantic. The food was great and staff was very nice.

Room Tip: Townhouses very nice with gas fire place between the queen size bed and jacuzzi for two.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

If your glass is half empty, read no further. Go be miserable someplace else. You don't deserve Mt. Haven. But if your glass is half full & you're looking for a great place to re-connect with your special someone, then Mt. Haven is for you.
Mt. Haven is a cozy, romantic, old fashioned getaway that gives you the opportunity to block out the outside world & just enjoy each other in very comfortable(not new but definitely clean) surroundings. The food is amazing & its included with the very reasonable VIP package. Yes, LOBSTER TAIL, PRIME RIB & PORTERHOUSE STEAK are included, along with a huge salad bar & a special made to order pasta bar.
Mt. Haven has all types of rooms, townhouses & cottages. We have stayed in all the different styles & each has something special to offer. If you're into a big in-room jacuzzi, fireplace & comfy bed, then look no further. Their website www.resortmthaven.com has pics and descriptions of the different types of accomodations & their friendly staff will answer any questions by phone or email.
We have been going to Mt. Haven for the past 7 years.We are already planning our next trip back.
Mt. Haven is a throw back in time to when things were simplier and more appreciated. Check out their website. YOU DESERVE IT!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We read some of the 'rough' reviews and thought, well, we don't need the most updated place and if the food is good, the price is good, why not? I called & spoke with Andy who said he'd 'take care of us' since we were used to staying in other resorts and promised me we wouldn't be sorry. I have no idea who the last "Had a great time" review was from but I can assure you that our experience showed this is far from the kind of place that brings you a coffee pot and fresh coffee to your room in the morning.

My list of disappointments is a long one but among the top reasons I would never return - our jacuzzi in our first (yes, first) room - we were in it before we turned on the jets, only to have brown gross stuff start bubbling up through the water - we had to get out and shower. Waitress service at dinner was worse than any dive-diner we could have eaten at. The 'all-inclusive VIP' isn't really all-inclusive and is certainly not VIP anything. The food was just ok, drinks were literally $14 a piece. Back to our room - Our fireplace switch didn't work, and fireplace kept turning off - then we were in bed and started to smell gas. We have a similar gas fireplace at our home, my husband tried to figure out what the issue was and couldn't, we called and talked to Andy who said we could change rooms - I would have much rather (in the middle of the night) just had them fix the fireplace. 15 minutes later, I stood up and was dizzy and sick, the 'help' came in, smelled the gas immediately and said "Well obviously there's something 'f**king wrong with your fireplace, so we're just going to have you move rooms, this is the townhouse key" - he and the fellow trying to look at the fireplace very clearly had no idea what they were doing (and really? that's professionalism at it's finest).

By the time we were packed and moved to the other room, I was vomiting and had a severe headache but still thought - well, they couldn't have predicted the problem and things happen. (benefit of a doubt, right?) In the town house, none of the switches to lights or heaters worked properly, all of the wiring was off and so it was 80 degrees throughout the house and turning down the thermostats did nothing, making my being sick even worse. Showered with door open to let cool air in and went to our friend's room to cool off before breakfast & check out. They reported the same issue with their jacuzzi tub, gross.

Oh, and we were supposed to refrigerators in both rooms, the one in ours was broken and theirs was missing entirely. The age of the room decor was a turn off but not a deal breaker, the cleanliness was ok (with a huge exception to the comforters on the beds and the jacuzzis)

Went to breakfast and sadly got the same terrible waitress, checked out and Andy said "sorry about that room thing" And something to the affect of he was glad they could 'upgrade us' and that they knew there was an issue with the fireplace but figured if they left it on, we'd be fine because the wiring was off - WHAT?! When I mentioned how sick I was all night and woke up with a splitting headache, he said, "Well, you look ok now." WTH?!?! So, if we didn't wake up in the morning, or the place blew up that would be normal? What the heck is wrong with these people? Heed the warnings of others and go somewhere else. Just plain awful, even for someone on a budget-conscious weekend.

Also - tips are not included in any of their prices, which is what made them less expensive than other local places so it's really not that much different in price, especially when you see that the all-inclusive isn't really that way.

Room Tip: Villa 8a has a severe gas leak & broken refrigerator, lights don't work on switches, and mud...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Kingston, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My boyfriend just took me there last weekend (10-19-12 thru 10-21-12) and we had an awesome time. The room/cabin he originally wanted was booked, and we stayed in villa #10 that was clean and comfortable. They brought us a coffee pot with coffee, sugar, filters, milk and creamers to enjoy the mornings on our porch. To the side was our own little place for a fire if we wanted. Inside the room was an awesome fireplace, and a large jacuzzi for two, queen bed and a bath with shower and tub if you didnt want the jacuzzi experience. All the staff was friendly as well as our neighbors staying here. The all inclusive package was awesome since your got to decide if you wanted the all-you can eat buffet or order off the menu. It also included the brunch which was also all you can eat. the entertainment was really good and they were having a halloween party with dancing on Sat. evening.
I WOULD DEFINITELY STAY THERE AGAIN IN A HEARTBEAT!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Syracuse, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We spent two nights at the resort for a family wedding. The setting was lovely. Perhaps twenty or so years ago, this place would have been a "must stay". Not so much now. While the food and service at the restaurant were good, the resort left alot to be desired on the lodging end. The grounds needed a good cleaning. The view of a small waterfall was marred by having to look past all of the trash tossed on the bank. The cracks on the basketball court were growing lovely green weeds. It just looked a bit shabby around the edges.
Our room was spacious, but lacking in the more modern amenities. There was no in-room coffee pot. The web page listed Wi-Fi, but our room was missing a router. We we mentioned this to the management, they said they would have one for us the next day. It never appeared. While one of the perks was a small fridge in the room, it was missing parts and ran loud enough to keep waking us up at night. The room was well soundproofed unless you were in the bathroom. If folks next door were in their bathroom, you could clearly hear their conversations.
Our room was clean (although the smell of air freshener was overwhelming when we first opened the door.)
We stayed in the "motel" section of the resort. Perhaps the cottages were better.
The food was the saving grace. The wait staff were wonderful. Very attentive and friendly. We enjoyed the advertised Sunday brunch. The food was plentiful, fresh and tasty.
All in all, we've stayed at better places for the price. If you just go for the food, you'll do fine.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
West Park, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We decided to spend the weekend there because of a wedding. What a mistake!!! The "Villa" that we reserved is best described as double-wide trailer, split into three rooms. When we entered the room, we were overtaken by the musty smell of terrible mold and decay. Parts of the floor were sagging, particularly in the bathroom. The furniture was oddly mismatched, (think 80's formica), with broken edges and missing pieces. The fridge was missing a panel and just looked odd. The toilet didn't work, and once repaired, it flooded the bathroom. The young man who came to fix it used a few (tiny, scratchy) bath towels to mop up the floor (nice, those will be someone else's towels tomorrow). The shower leaked all over the floor...the fireplace was really pretty until we lit it, and the light hi-lighted the disgustingly unwashed windows on either side. Although not pleased with any of the above, I fully knew we had not booked a 5 star resort, and I could have overlooked a lot, IF I had been able to SLEEP!!!! The bed was the hardest surface I have ever slept on in my entire life, (and I even include camping in a sleeping bag here!!) I woke up so very sore. And I use the word "sleep" very loosely, as I didn't get much of it due to being so uncomfortable the entire night. When we mentioned this to the owner the next morning, he said he would "fix everything, as he wanted us to come back again!" AS IF!!! His idea of fixing it was to send two young men in a pickup truck with a second mattress, only slightly more comfortable than the first. I'm sure they pulled it out of some pile of old mattresses, as it had cigarette burns in it, and I think I was even more skeeved, if that was even possible. At least I didn't see any bed bugs.... There was only one up side...the food was decent...nothing gourmet, but acceptable for buffet-style food. Ironically, we had family there in another room (the ones by the restaurant), and their room was in better repair, but they left at 6am this morning, without even waiting for breakfast, as they had been up since 3am, also due to the horrible mattresses. There have got to be better places to stay in this area...not that I EVER plan to go back again...

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mt. Haven Resort & Restaurant? Share your experiences!