“Best lil" dude ranch in the Pocono mountains” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Malibu Dude Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Milford
Malibu Dude Ranch
You added Malibu Dude Ranch to your Saves list
351 Foster Hill Rd., Milford, PA 18337   |
lindenhurst, NY
“Best lil" dude ranch in the Pocono mountains”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

If your looking for a great family bonding experience and enjoy horseback riding this is the place. Yes, it's rustic, this is not the place for those who expect mints on the pillows and room service, there are no TV's or AC but by the time you actually go to sleep your so tired it doesnt matter. Also with the cool mountain nights AC is not needed. This place is for the people and families who can look past any flaws and just realize I'm only sleeping here. THERE ARE NO BEDBUGS!! If anyone has a backyard you should know the diffrence between a bedbug and a earwig. The food is great, George, the head chef makes the most delicious meals. The staff is wonderful and they will go out of their way to make you feel like familiy. They have something missing in today's society, FUN! All they want the guests to have is a good time. The wranglers in the barn will match up to a horse that's just right for you. Tom, the head wrangler knows his horses and any of the wranglers will give you tips on how to make your experience more pleasureable. My family and I have been to other ranches in the area and yes they may have more activities but they cant compare to the atmosphere of Malibu. You will feel like your with family.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Terryville, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

The staff were very helpful and gracious. They went out of their way to make sure we had an enjoyable weekend, so much so that they brought ice and bottled water out to us while we were sitting by the lake. The atmosphere is very relaxing and picturesque. The rooms were not fancy but again we were on a dude ranch and did not expect to be in a five star suite. Although the cabin was rustic it was very clean. The food was good and plentiful and served by a very attentive wait staff. Chef George and his apprentice Dan worked hard to prepare our daily meals. My wife and I along with the other couples we went with felt like we were staying with old friends rather then renting a hotel room. George and Staff thanks for a great weekend. The Connecticut Crew!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Paramus, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

the ranch was great staff was even better, no frills just relax and enjoy the outdoors, was clean but the place needs tlc, food by george was great.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

Awesome horseback riding, nice staff, good food. I loved the breakfast. We went in August and it wasn't crowded so we got in lots of horseback riding. This was an unexpected surprise & it was an awesome value. Very rustic, nothing fancy afterall,l it is a dude ranch! Expect very rustic and very, very basic rooms and you'll be satisfied. My 6 & 10 year olds had a great time. My son has food allergies to nuts and eggs and the kitchen staff were really good about it. We stayed 3 nights and we will definitely try to go back every year since we are only a few hours away.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
New York, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2009

My son and I first went to the Malibu Dude Ranch in August of 2009. We originally booked a three day stay and loved it so much we stayed for a week. We have been back three times since. My son had never been on a horse before. By the time we left you couldn't get him off them. The wranglers were very patient -- especially with beginners. The food is amazing. Three (!) meals a day and you never go hungry. Great for kids. Game room, hayride and bonfire (fun for adults too). If you want to just veg out the main lodge is homey and comfy with a fireplace. There is also an old fashioned "saloon". We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

The only thing good about the Malibu is the beautiful horses and unlimited riding. Tom, Rob, Chris, Allison & Katrina were friendly and very knowledgeable. The kitchen staff was pleasant, they worked hard to prepare meals for us, which were ok. Our cabins were digusting! I wasn't expecting a 5 star hotel, I've stayed in many BnBs and motels and camped, NEVER have I stayed in one so filthy! This was FAR beyond rustic!! When we received our keys we went to check out our rooms, when we first opened the doors the smell hit us immediately - when we looked around the room we saw stains on the curtains, walls, black and broken baseboards, burnt out electrical outlets and holes in the wall - I didn't even make it to the bathroom yet! The carpeting was disgusting, didn't dare walk on it unless I had shoes on. When we pulled back the bedspread there were stains everywhere, I brought my own sheets and immediately changed them. The toilet seat lid was so old that the paint was pealing off and the bathroom door was broke. There were no locks on any of the windows, I didn't feel safe. I didn't know where to put my bags for fear something would crawl in them! We went back to the front desk to complain, but she was annoyed. For the activities the archery is a bail of hay w/a target (unsupervised) the tennis court had cracks, the basket ball courts had no nets, the rifle range had a grumpy old man running it, the big built in pool had scum on the top that hasn't been cleaned in years, half the games in the playroom were out of order, the life preservers for boating were moldy cuz they are left out on a pole. You never saw anyone cleaning up the grounds, doing maintenance or cleaning the common areas - on the front porch of the Main House there were broken chairs that you couldn't sit. Never saw the owner Steve, I understand he was there, but he NEVER walked around to the tables and introduced himself. This place HAS so much potential, unfortunately they have let it run down....it's BEYOND rustic....it's down right dirty! NOW FOR THE WORST PART OF ALL....we were turning in for the evening and as the saying goes "don't let the bed bugs bite" well THEY DID! My room was infested with them!!! I have BED BUG BITES all over my body - 10 alone on my face!! When I got home I was fearful I brought them home with me, I threw out my sheets, pillows, slippers, luggage and anything else that couldn't be washed. I have not been able to sleep for days! I would NOT recommend this place to ANYONE!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

I'd like to start this by saying - the kids had fun, but please paint & clean the rooms. The wranglers & guides were WONDERFUL - the cook - very cheerful always smiling - GREAT morning cofee!!! I understood coming into this, it's a working ranch - I was NOT expecting the Marriott. I did expect clean rooms. I can deal with old furnishings, etc... But - out of the 4 rooms each with double beds and bathroom. 2 of them looked like they were beginning to get a little TLC... the other 2, one of which I actually stayed in - were AWFUL, as I said I can deal with old, even broken furniture. This was in total disrepair - the ceiling was peeling, the curtains were dirty AND dusty the carpet - GROSS, the towels were very clean and white (unfortunately I used them to cover the curtains and walk on when I forgot my flipflops at the door. There was mold on the ceiling in the bathroom (which I sprayed with bleach cleaner I had in my car and while the shower curtain was clean, once I noticed the curtains, in the room and bathroom, I started really looking around me... well - there was mold on the shower curtain hooks, bleached that. If I had not brought my own mattress covers, sheets and blankets - we would not have been able to stay here ( brought them because reviews I had read suggested it). I just thought the rooms would have been a bit more. It was a step up from camping only because there was an actual roof & walls. When my friend and I asked about getting 2 different rooms, the woman behind the desk seemed bothered that we would even ask, she had no time to explain things except to hand us an itinerary for the weekend - didn't feel we could ask more questions if we wanted to. Did not see her again until checkout on Sunday am when she was in the office and didn't even bother to look up when telling us to just leave the keys there on the desk - SHE WAS NOT FRIENDLY. The place was REALLY run down REALLY run down - I kept reading reviews about "rustic charm" - it was NOT rustic charm - it was RUN DOWN. There were boats to use - but the life preservers were moldy. The benches near the pond/lake so low to the ground you might as well sit on the ground. The rooms (at least the 2 we had - awful - not clean at all) the gameroom - run down, but the kids didn't care. The gift shop - actually had nice sweatshirts - plain but decent and priced fine. It's an excellent concept, again, the wranglers/guides were AWESOME, the horses beautiful, the peole hanging around, but not really working there, very nice. It does need an overhaul - not fancy - maybe not even an overhaul just a REALLY good cleaning, some paint - maybe adding a bunch of chairs outside on the deck for people to use. It's a shame because it's so close to the city and if a little time and effort were put into it - it would be an EXCELLENT place to go. I know I would pay more, for a cleaner feel. I feel bad because I had 4 additional families looking for a close getaway and I don't feel that I can reccommend this place - at least not to sleep there. For trailrides sure - but to sleep there - NO! I truly hope that for some reason we just happened to get the two worst rooms at the place.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Malibu Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!