“Rotten Egg Smell in Water not worth it.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn

You added Comfort Inn to your Saves list
Comfort Inn
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   488 West 3rd Street, Mifflinville, PA 18631 (Formerly Motel 6 Mifflinville)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mifflinville
Madison, Wisconsin
“Rotten Egg Smell in Water not worth it.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I agree will other who have said that the water smells like rotten eggs. Apparently this is cased by hydrogen sulfide in the well water. In response to some other reviews the hotel seems to say that they treat the water in some way to remove this smell but whatever they were doing when my wife and I stayed was not working. We were in bad need of rest after a long trip and I otherwise would have given the hotel an excellent review but this smell is horrible.

According to The Texas A&M Agrilife Extension even high amounts of hydrogen sulfide can be removed from water. They say, " Continuous chlorination using an automatic feed pump can effectively remove medium to high levels of hydrogen sulfide." It is mentioned in their publication that this may be expensive but it can be done.
(soiltesting.tamu.edu/publications/L-5312.pdfchemical )

Until The Comfort Inn in Mifflnville, PA installs a system to remove this smell from the water I would suggest avoiding this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ComfortInnLanCo, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you sir for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry for your inconvenience. We do have treatments for the water but clearly it was not working well the day you had stayed with us. We are also looking into a permanent solution with the chlorine drip system that you have mentioned. Our Water experts tell us that for that system to work properly, the water needs to be exposed to chlorine for at least 10 minutes. Due to that, we will need a storage tank to assure that water gets its minimum exposure. We are looking for creative solutions to storage since our current maintenance room does not have the area. I have been assured by our contractor that this water problem will be solved within the next two weeks. It is our number one priority currently. Thank you once again and I do hope we will get a chance to better serve you down the road.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Kresgeville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

This is a comfortable, clean hotel. They could do more business if they added carbon filtration to remove the odor from the water. The breakfast was good, hot and cold options. The staff at this hotel is friendly. There is not much around this hotel but you are only a short drive from everything. Even with the smelly water, I would stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Anderson, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We reserved this hotel room for an overnight stay on the way to Upstate New York from Ohio. We (my husband and I) were traveling with our 18 yr. old daughter, so we chose the room that had a separate bedroom with a king bed and a main room with a queen bed. The room was spacious. The main area had the queen bed, a TV, small fridge with microwave, and a smallish couch with a coffee table. It also had an easy chair with ottoman. The bedroom had a king bed, desk area with chair and tv. The single bath had doors leading to it from both areas, which was convenient.

The space was appreciated and worked well for our group, but the furnishings were very worn and dated. Things appeared clean however. There was an odor of cooking - perhaps curry? - permeating the building. The king bedroom had a cracked window and there was also a lot of colder air coming in around the heating / ac unit. The shower was okay, but the water there smells of sulfur. One of the reasons we booked it was for the hot tub area by the pool, but it wasn't working.

Overall, the facility was quiet and secure. It was convenient for our stopping purposes. It was comfortable, although worn. For the price we paid, I thought it was a pretty good value. I would stay again, however the place really needs to take care of some maintenance and updates. There's not a lot of eating establishments near by. I think I recall a McDonalds and a Subway.

Fine for the money, but don't expect higher end finishes.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We wanted to spend a weekend exploring Rickett's Glen State Park (waterfalls/hiking...) and got this through hotels.com for 85.00 per night. We decided, as it was right off of I80, it would make for a good "base of operations".
We arrived late Friday night-- the staff was courteous and helpful.
Overall, I'd say this was a reasonable lodging for what we paid. The room as in fairly good condition with newer (but not new) furnishings. Bathroom was sizable with nice sink area. There was a min fridge, desk... etc. The bed was firm and comfortable.
On the plus side, while near I-80, outside noise wasn't an issue. It did give us convenient access to Rickett's Glen SP and some quaint restaurants and ice cream places in between.
The closet had an iron/ironing board, which could be handy. The breakfast food choices were pretty ample.
As for negatives, there were numerous little flaws--while not big, showed a lack of detail. Smudged or splattered room mirror (note pic), crooked lampshape (note pic), and a showercurtain that was too long, so you had to avoid stepping on it (note pic). While the water pressure was fine, the shower temperature was what I'd call 'very warm'. So if you are a fanatic for hot showers (like we are), then you will be disappointed.
The walls and floors are not very noise-proof. (We heard the guy snoring next door and people walking around upstairs.)

The weekend we were there, the place was OVERRUN with kids. I attribute this to two things:
1. It's not far to Williamsport (i.e. there was probably some little league baseball tournament going on and families were looking for a reasonably-priced place rather than overbooked/overpriced downtown Williamsport ).
2. This motel has a nice indoor pool.
The result was that in the morning, there were little kids running and yelling up and down the halls. The breakfast area was CRAZY (we felt we were eating in a kindergarten classroom). On our way back to our room after eating, we noticed a trail of crushed cheerios and fruitloops and the rest in the the elevator and halls. Don't get me wrong: I don't blame the hotel for this and, frankly, though we don't have kids, we didn't really mind (kids will be kids and all the parents seemed to be doing their best), but I just mention this as it might be a plus (families needing a good place where there's something for kids to do and lots of breakfast goodies that the kids will love) or a minus (business travelers or singles/couples wanting a quiet getaway or to eat or swim in peace).
In sum, it was reasonable for the money we paid and fulfilled its purpose, but keep your expectations realistic. This would be a great place for some, but maybe not for all.
A few suggestions if you want to stay here:
**Bring your swimshorts (the pool!)
**If you want a complimentary weekend newspaper, grab one early (there were some by the front desk, but they were all gone by Saturday).
**If you want to get work done, bring your own laptop. The one computer for guests is in the main lobby, so it's not a great work area.
**If you are going to Rickett's Glen S.P. take the local route 487North (which you kind of have to do anyway). Heritage House family restaurant is 'good eats'! Great place for home style meal a very good price. As well, if you like local ice cream stands, stop at Melonies Kold Kup (careful, it's easy to miss) near Orangeville or to Krazy Kone (which is further north, in town).

Room Tip: **If you don't like noise, get a room at either end of the hallway. **Ask for a room facing the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ComfortInnLanCo, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at our property. Your buisness is very important to us and we value your feedback by telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve it. You are helping us to deliver superior expereince for you and the other guest in future. We hope you will come back and see you again soon.

Thank you again for taking the time to write review. We appreciate your loyalty to our brand.

Milan Shelat
Manager
Comfort Inn
Bear, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Came to the area for a picnic and was spending the night. Our room was perfect...clean, nicely updated bathroom, comfy and the desk clerk was very nice. We even took a dip in the pool. Breakfast was good; just what we needed to start our day.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at our property. your buisness is very important to us and we value your feedback by telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve. You are helping us to provide superior expereince for you and other guest in future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your loyalty to our brand.
ann arbor
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We booked this hotel on Hotwire for one night on our way back from New York to Michigan, just to get some rest before the main part of our drive. We paid $85.

We checked in around 6pm. The woman at the front desk told me she needed my credit card because it got declined for my reservation. Of course, this made no sense as you have to pay for the room on Hotwire before you even know the name of the Hotel, and I did this a full month ago. I kept telling her it had already been paid for, and she kept saying "I understand", she must have resolved the problem during our conversation as I never did repay, and she didn't explain what the problem had been.

Our room was on the second floor. It seemed to be in the middle of being remodled as things were either brand new (bathroom console still had the "wilsonart" sticker on it) or Super old, as in the desk from the 1970's. It had a fridge and a microwave. The AC was loud, but drowned out other noise so that was okay for sleeping. We looked at the pool, it seemed small and kinda green and full of screaming kids so we stayed away. A few doors down from our room in the hallway was a pile of what looked like ripped towels on the floor, possible wet. The strange thing is that they were still there when we checked out of the hotel a full 15 hours later.

We left the hotel in search of some dinner and maybe a couple of beers for that room fridge. There is nothing in this area, we found a subway at the gas station, I think there was an Arbys, maybe a Mcdonalds. There was a Loves food store and a conveince store too. What was strange is we could not find any beer in the area to go with our Subway. I don't think it was illegal, just nobody carried it according to the store clerk.

So, the nights sleep went well. I don't know if it was worth $85, but at least we were rested for our long drive the next day. I checked my credit card, and had paid for the visit a month ago, so that whole ordeal made no sense. The breakfast was pretty good-they had waffles and sausage, bananas and yogurt-something for everybody. I should also mention that our GPS in our car could not find this hotel, and that the exit for this hotel is under construction.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing a review regarding your recent stay at our property. On behalf of our entire staff i would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations.Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we will offer better expereince for the guest in future. I hope that you will consider staying with us again. So that we can have another chance to provide you with superior expereince.
Addison, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed at this Comfort in as a group who had traveled to a wedding - 25 in our group, we reserved 6 rooms. We called prior to check in several times to makes sure everything was all in order as we needed a handicapped accessable room and parking as well as a crib and a rollaway - rollaway was convienently unavailable upon check in. Reservations were totally screwed up - ended up with only 5 rooms - were told no more were available - I asked if there were ANY in the hotel - why yes, but not on your reservation. ????? REALLY????? Just give us the room then!!! It was seperate from the rest - the third floor and as an added bonus the toilet kept over flowing. Front desk staff were the worst - I felt like I was on the movie set of "Deliverance". Only people with half a brain were the dining room staff and the manager. The owners were cleaning the rooms - they were friendly but banged on doors at 8am and yelled "Housekeeping". Do not disturd signs are worthless when someone is yelling. They charged my card DOUBLE, and another family member TRIPLE - said they did a reversal - LIES. Three days later my card company confirmed that Comfort Inn had collected the full amount - I called Comfort Inn a few more times and the desk clerk said it wasn't her fault, she didn't do it and she was overwhelmed because the whole weekend had been a disaster and everyone was calling and yelling at her - Boo Hoo. My final call included a threat to call the police because this is fraud and theft. Hmmm.....money was back on my card in MINUTES!!!!! NO HOT WATER until noon - pool was greenish blue and freezing - this is August and it is indoors??? Rooms were clean, beds were nice but rather small. Very quiet. Other reviews remarked on noisy AC units - ours was was quiet. Broken window in room 103. Our room was fine - water did not smell. Breakfast was good, parking lot freshly paved but too small. If we had not been overcharged I could overlook everything else and give a top review. Sorry Comfort Inn, thanks to your moronic desk staff we will never be back - we all travel to Knoebels a few times per year and have family there. We are going back to Danville to the Hampton Inn.

Room Tip: Room 103 has a broken window. Some rooms on the third floor have toilets that over flow. Had a gro...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for writing a review regarding your recent stay at our property. On behalf of our entire staff i would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we wiil be using the feedback you gave to us to implement improvements to ensure we will offer better expereince for guest in future. i hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with superior expereince.

Milan shelat
manager
Comfort Inn.

Travelers are raving about these Mifflinville hotels

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!