“Weekend Birthday Getaway” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Mercer
PA
“Weekend Birthday Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I just stayed at the Holiday Inn Express this past weekend for a quick getaway for his birthday. From the outside I wasn't expecting much out of the ordinary: the hotel is located on a strip which houses other such hotels and resturants. However, it is almost directly across the street from Prime Outlets - which was our primary reason for chosing Grove City. Upon check in, we were very impressed with the hotel, the staff that greeted us were friendly, one lady even joked a lot and had us laughing. Check-in was seamless and in less than 10 mintues we were in our room - and happy with it! I booked the King Jacuzzi Suite so we could soak, have a glass of wine and relax. The room (a little pricey at $179+ tax with AAA discount) was very clean, fresh and open. The pictures on the website are pretty accurate but actually don't do the rooms any justice! The decor is warm and inviting and more than once my husband commented on the window/coverings. It was better than the standard, beige flank sheet that most hotels throw up. The moring light was completely shut out and didn't wake me in the morning.

The bed was large and comfortable with better than budget bedding, the TV was adequate size and there were little extas like the chair with ottoman and a small table for two. It had a sink area with microwave and fridge. The bathroom was clean and bright, the towels fresh. I mean we really had NO complaints. If I have to say anything negative at all I'd say I wish my pillows were "fluffier" and the jacuzzi larger. Truly it was really only built for one. My husband and I are not small people, I'm 5' 11" and he's 6' 3", no way the both of us were getting in there together! But I'm not really a jaccuzi person, but he is so it worked out, though it did hamper the whole "soaking together" thing. I just sat on the step and we talked and drank our wine like that.

When we went out to dinner the lady at the front desk gave us coupons for discounts at the mall and we had only to show our room key at Hoss's Steak House to get a 10% discount. Breakfast at the hotel the next morning was free - and hot - I only wish they had more of an option for hot food. They served some sort of boiled ham or canadian bacon, my husband ate it - I did not. I made my own pancakes, drank coffee and orange juice and was happy.

We checked out - but did not use - the business center, the great room (where you can get free popcorn, coffee, tea or water with lemon 24 hours a day), the fitness room or the pool. I don't know what occasion one would have to be in the hotel long-term but if I had to stay there for more than two nights, I know I'd be very comfortable and probably would use these ammenities.

Overall I give this property two-thumbs up. My husband and I have gotten to be sort of "hotel conniesseurs" and I'm impressed that what you see on the hotel's website is actually what you get when you check in.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Guelph, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Excellent hotel. Clean, great continental breakfast, beds are great. In room facilities were nice, including the microwave and fridge was very nice. Freshed baked cookies available when we came in and hot drinks and popcorn always available. Will be visiting again forsure. Very friends and accomodating staff.

Only downfall was a bit too much chlorine in the pool, but it is a public pool so it is expected.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Each year we make our annual pilgrimage to Grove City for the great Labour Day sales, and each year the Holiday Inn Express provides a clean comfortable room with great staff and friendly atmosphere. Do not hesitate to book your stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Greg24cups
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

Likemany we attended this area for the purpose of the outlet mall. Greeted with smiles and coupons for local eateries. Had the answers to all our questions.

Rooms were clean but showed wear. Bathroom door was off an inch or so but closed. Mold around peeling bathroom wallpaper, tub and shower curtain. Earrings from someone else were on counter and stayed there till cleaned the next day.

Needed blankets full pullout couch.

Very thin floors meaning you can hear the people above walking around all the time.

Great breakfast though. Pool was clean and well maintained. Free popcorn 24hrs a day.

Overall very good considering it's just needed for the bed.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Beeker100
Altoona, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I knew I would be a late arrival (9pm) & advised them ahead of time. After being on the road since 6am driving 4 hours for an all day business meeting, I arrived about 8:45pm to find they had given me an upgrade to a King Suite with a hot tub, which was so relaxing after a long day. Paula at the front desk was wonderful. The room was very clean & the bed was extremely comfortable. I really like the choice of either hard or soft pillows. Check-out was hassle-free. Will definitely stay there again when in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

The room was clean but needs to be dusted better and the ac unit was gross the filter needed cleaning and i think there was mold or just dust inside as seen in my pictures also in the bathroom the wall paper was coming apart above the shower.the staff at this hotel we very nice and helpful. Even thought some of the issues i still recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

First of all the staff of the Holiday Inn Express, Mercer were out of this world. They went out of their way to make sure every guest had all of their needs taken care of and more!!!!!! The ladies at the front desk were very helpful, they gave us coupon books for the Outlet Mall and also gave us coupons for free appetizers when we mentioned we were going to "Rachel's"one night for dinner and to "Springfield's" the next. By the way, you've got to try both of these restaurants and "The Iron Bridge Inn". The rooms were very clean, quiet, newly renovated and very cozy. It was nice to have a bar sink, bar fridge, microwave and cupboards to store munchies. The hotel offered popcorn, coffee, tea and hot chocolate 24/7 (nice touch). Breakfast was very good, eggs, bacon, ham, fruit, juices, milk, yogurt, bagels, english muffins and more........there was definately something there for everyone. They even had home made cookies late afternoon and early evening...............yummy!
The Holiday Inn Express is about a 2 minute drive from the Outlet Mall and about a 5-7 minute drive to Rachel's, The Iron Bridge Inn and Springfield's.
Don't forget to make reservations. We were there from Monday to Wednesday and the hotel was full booked both nights.
Happy Shopping!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank 1Waddy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mercer
Hampton Inn & Suites Grove City
Comfort Inn Mercer
Comfort Inn Mercer
#3 of 6 in Mercer
3.5 of 5 stars 132 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Express Grove City-Prime Outlet Mall? Share your experiences!