“Superlative Bed & Breakfast.” 5 of 5 stars

Alpenhof Bed and Breakfast
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   2001 N Ridley Creek Road, Media, PA 19063   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Media B&B and Inns
Whitby, Canada
“Superlative Bed & Breakfast.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed in Heidi's room in the main house for 4 nights during U.S. Open Week. The room was immaculately clean, and though not huge, perfect for us, well appointed and beautifully furnished. The breakfasts are to die for - really anything you want made to order - and you have the pleasure of meeting people from all over the world who have also discovered, or are discovering, what a real gem of a place this is. The gardens of the house are amazing, featuring trees and plants of vast variety and colour. Anyone visiting must walk through the grounds and look around in wonder, as my wife and I did. Well done Roland ! Judy is a great hostess and treats EVERYONE with an enormous amount of concern and respect, always great advice to all her guests, and responds to any questions or requests with the utmost professionalism. I am not sure how the cooking is split between Judy and Roland, but it doesn't matter as everything is delicious. Whenever I come back to this area, I will be returning here, no doubt. Thanks ever so much. Ian.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My uncle and I booked this little gem over a year ago for the US Open Golf tournament. We stayed in the cottage from June 10 - 17, 2013. I could not have been treated better than if I were staying at the Ritz. Judy welcomed us and made sure we could get wherever we needed to be and on time. Not to mention what an awesome baker she is. I have the 5 weight gain to prove it (well it might also be from the umpteen hotdogs and beer we had at the tournament) She stays on top of things and watches over the guests as if they were family.
My dear sweet Roland, the energizer bunny has nothing on you. The work and love you have put into this beautiful home is amazing. I wish I had your talent. Thank you for the ride to the airport. I don't know of any cab drivers that get out and hug their fares goodbye. I know your parents are looking down and smiling for the treasure you have created for others to enjoy. I will see you both again.
Sharon
Houston, Tx

Room Tip: Choose the Cottage, private and quaint.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Ten of us stayed here for two nights in mid-May. We rented the cottage and three bedrooms in the main house. We had small children and the grounds were great for them to run around. Lots of little paths and this place has just gorgeous gardens throughout. The pool was just ready to be opened, and it looked lovely. The cottage gave us a place to "hang out" during the day, but frankly, the main house would have been fine. A beautiful great room with grand piano and TV, and a patio area off the dining room was also available. Breakfasts were custom order with several kinds of homemade bread, large bowls of fresh fruit, eggs, waffles, breakfast meats - really, a big meal, and excellent coffee. Roland & Judy are caring and conscientious innkeepers who run a very tight ship here. It is just as nice as The Brick Path B&B in Berkeley, CA, which up to now, has been the one to surpass. Highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed one night at this bed and breakfast. Room was ready even though we checked in early. Had a lovely room upstairs with all the conveniences; hosts could not do enough to make it a pleasant stay. Huge breakfast made to order in the morning. Lovely grounds to explore and you are free to wander through the house which has many middle eastern and european items. The house was an old stone walled barn from the mid-1800 and converted to a home. About 20 minutes to Philadelphia; right near Swarthmore College. Close to Ridley State park which is lovely to explore with a huge Mansion on the grounds and easy paths to follow around the grounds.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Herndon, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night while at a wedding in the area. We splurged and rented the cottage. The space is really quite spectacular with every amenity of home one can imagine. What a great place to stay if you are on business in the area and would like to be able to cook meals for yourself, wash and dry your clothes, you name it. The cottage has a nice patio that looks out onto the gardens and a small pool. It even has a gas grill if you wanted to cook out. Everything in the cottage was immaculate, and even had a Wii game system if one had kids with them. It's also very quiet.

As I said, you could make meals for yourself, but please don't ever make breakfast there. You'd miss the best part of the experience with Judy and her husband cooking and acting as great and generous hosts. From the handmade plates and cups and bowls to the eggs or french toast from homemade bread, everything was quite special and highly detailed. We didn't get to see any of the rooms in the main house, but I don't doubt that they are excellently appointed and also immaculate. It must be beautiful there during the spring and summer. As much care and detail is paid to the gardens as is paid to the rooms and house.

We've been to our share of B&Bs, but this was by far our best experience at one. If you have business or pleasure anywhere in the Philly suburban area, stay here!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Grove City, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

my husband and I were travelling to Philly and decided to stay here, based on the good reviews. i must say - believe the hype about this place, people!!! when we pulled up, the house is absolutely stunning. it looked like something out of a Better Home & Gardens magazine. then when we walked in, Judy greeted us right away by name. that alone is incredible and made our experience feel very personal - like we were family visiting from out of town. she is a lovely person and was attentive to every need! then she showed us to our room, which was the Grand Master Suite. my immediate reaction made her laugh - i couldn't stop squealing like a 5 year old girl in a candy store. this room and this B&B are worth EVERY PENNY. every single hard-earned shiny penny. the grand master suite is HUGE, beautiful, comfortable. the walk in shower and bathroom with a bidet is enormous (and i'm a huge fan of bathrooms). the room includes everything you could want or need. the king size bed was SO comfortable, and the furniture was gorgeous. the bathroom was fully stocked with care - including everything from q-tips, to soap, shampoo, body wash, lotion, loofahs, toothpaste, a Keurig (!!), cups, extra towels, plenty of shelves to put your things. I did not ever want to leave that room!! the next morning, we went to the dining room, which is where you are served your breakfast and drinks on a beautiful wood/tree table. Roland asked us what we wanted for breakfast, and he made it, right there, from scratch. the homemade cinnamon french toast was absolutely delicious! my husband had the homemade waffles. Roland is also wonderful, personable, and both him and Judy are obviously hard workers, love their jobs and their visitors, and deserve only the HIGHEST praise for their bed & breakfast. I simply cannot recommend this B&B enough. -oh and a side-note - they also have 2 dogs, a black lab named Clyde and a terrier mix named Abbey. What a sweet amount of charm to add to this already pristine and picture-perfect abode! my husband and I thank you from the bottom of our hearts, Judy & Roland. we will never ever forget your service, hospitality, food, and personalities. thank you for making this past weekend absolutely memorable!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: the Grand Master Suite is a bit higher in price but worth EVERY PENNY!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Barkhamsted, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

we stay in b & b's several times a year. we were very pleased with alpenhof. the decor is eclectic. the stenciling in the heidi room where we stayed was beautiful. the water pressure in the shower was tremendous. at breakfast we were served a bowl of fresh cut up fruit and homemade cinnamon buns and then asked to place an order for eggs, omelet, pancakes, french toast, waffles. it was all delicious. there is a nice pool behind the house with beautiful landscaping. we visited longwood garden which was about 30 minutes away and was an impressive destination, don't miss the light and fountain show after dark. we would highly recommend this b & b.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Alpenhof Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!