“Top notch everything” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Media B&B and Inns
Topeka, Kansas, United States
“Top notch everything”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

My wife and I stayed for three nights in May 2012. Excellent accomodations, fantastic breakfasts, incredibly friendly hosts and staff. We were a long ways from home but would definitley stay here again, because Judy and Roland made us feel at home.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Suquamish, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Enough cannot be said of the grace and warmth with which Roland and Judy treat their guests. Judy's baking and Roland's skills with the breakfast menu would be sufficient for an excellent rating but you add the lively breakfast conversations and it puts this B&B&G over the top.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Brentwood, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

While visiting grandson at Swarthmore we stayed at the Alpenhof which is 10 minutes from the college and in an idyllic setting just outside Media, Pa. Owners very attentive and full breakfast included. Room ( Master Suite) spacious and quiet for a B&B. Very popular so make reservations early.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Lexington, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

We stayed 2 nights while looking colleges in the area. Location was great for Bryn Mawr/Haverford/Swarthmore cluster. Drive to UPenn took a little longer (45 minutes) but was quite straightforward.

Judy and Roland were very friendly and helpful and the rooms were great. We made the reservations on short notice so there wasn't a room available for both days. Changing rooms was a piece of cake. We left our packed bags in Roland's Room and returned to find everything moved to Heidi's Room. Both rooms were lovely and very comfortable.

Breakfast both days was fantastic - starting with fresh fruit and muffins or scones, I was enjoying a delicious warm muffin when Judy asked me what else I'd liked and offered to make eggs or omelet or pancakes or ... I recommend the cinnamon raisin french toast (with real maple syrup). It was exactly the boost we needed to make it through a day of peppy college tour guides and enthusiastic admission officers.

I know exactly where I'll be staying should my daughter end up in the Philadelphia area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
south Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

First and foremost, Judy and Roland are down-to-earth, warm, friendly hosts who do their best to make sure you enjoy your stay. They have social backup in Clyde, the enthusiastic quadriped greeter (Black Lab); Clyde’s less outgoing canine companion Abbie takes longer to warm up.

Second, Judy and Roland collaborate to prepare ample breakfasts of pretty much whatever standard fare you request (unlike some B&B chefs who tell you: "Here's what you get.") You want only light, healthy fare of fresh fruits, maybe live culture yogurt, or oatmeal? You got it. Or if you’re an omnivore craving a meal likely to bring on a cardiac arrest, they'll cook it up. And they're so nice that I bet they'd even drive you to the ER if needed.

Just by looking at the attractive stone exterior, you might not suspect that it's stood for some three centuries—mostly as a barn. Roland will gladly provide more details on the history of the restoration and the interior.

During our brief stay we found the neighborhood blissfully quiet. Our bed (Heidimarie's room) was perfectly comfortable. I for one appreciated having a tea tray available all day (with candies as well). Also, wonderful breakfasts, hearty and custom-cooked.

The living room has a fireplace for cozy gatherings on winter nights; the patio below offers a pool for warm weather. As an avid hiker I was delighted to find plenty of moderately-challenging trails just a couple of miles away in Ridley Creek State Park.

I should mention a few glitches that may or may not matter to some TA readers (I maintain five stars because more than the inconveniences, I appreciate Judy’s and Roland’s diligence in responding):

• I wanted ice for my drinks, but the fridge's ice machine wasn’t working; within 10 minutes Judy had filled an ice bucket (maybe from the cottage?) and personally delivered it to our room.

• Our TV wouldn't change channels; both Judy and Roland came during the day and managed to get it partly working. That mattered more for my wife, who wanted to watch “American Idol.” Since they couldn’t fully resolve the TV issue, Judy solved the problem by letting my wife use another room. (I stayed in our room, content with wifi and my MacBook Pro.)

• One permanent issue with our room and Monica’s Room: the floor plan has each room’s private bathroom sandwiched such that the shower of one bedroom abuts the other bedroom and is very audible.

Did I mention that they offer many choices of delicious, diverse, more-than-satisfying breakfasts? I’d hate to overlook that.

If we return to the area, we'll check here first. We may even try to find a weekend to book the entire Alpenhof for extended family.

Room Tip: If you're concerned about possible shower noise from neighboring rooms, call to ask about the la...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

My husband and I took a much needed weekend away and we wanted to enjoy the Philly nightlife. But staying in the city itself was not our idea of laid back romance. Media, PA is in the burbs, so it is close enough the the city but not in the hustle and bustle and without the bright lights and noise. We found this B and B through this site and checked it out on Bed and Breakfast.com. Great reviews. We were able to book online, a definite plus. We stayed in the Master Suite, an ecclectic yet cozily decorated large room with a private bathroom and ample closet space. It reminded me of Morraccan/International decor which was a refreshing break from the the classic antique dark wook look. Very clean. There is a doggy, but he is not allowed in the rooms nor are you allowed to bring pets unless you stay in the cottage. I liked that.
Judy, the inkeeper was absolutely lovely, and what a cook. Her breakfast were homemade, she even bakes the bread for her french toast which is wonderful. She does offer meal options, which is nice because I am picky, and I don't like eggs, but I often feel bad not eating what is placed before me. The breakfast table was beautiful and unusal all at the same time.
There were only two things I wish Alpenhof had. A tad more soundproofing...we could hear a small bit of talking and walking from our suite, but it wasn't too distracting. Also, the other rooms there had shared bathrooms. We want to bring a group of couples next time, but we aren't sure they would like the sharing bathroom idea. I will say that we would share with some buddies if it weren't a romantic trip because the price is right for those rooms and they are nice. But I am not one to share with strangers.
Overall, we loved it. We will be back....for the Master Suite!! And for Judy's cooking!

Room Tip: Master suite all the way for couples!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

My fiance, brother, sister-in-law and I were traveling to Media, PA to visit our aunt who had relocated from another area of Philadelphia. We more or less just needed a place to stay for the night since our primary activity was visiting the aunt. We looked at local motels, but were troubled by some bad reviews. We then looked at some chain hotels a little farther away that rated well, but then we saw this B&B for more or less the same price as the chain hotels, but a mere 5 minutes from our aunt. We didn't care much more than that and booked one nights stay. We chose the Roland room and Otto room since they were listed as less expensive than some of the other rooms because they share a bathroom and Otto only has two twin beds. We decided this was fine for one night with family.

It SO exceeded our needs and expectations. As an architect, I found the circa 1960, architect designed, converted barn fascinating. Beautiful stone and wood work. Totally 1960s chic, meets Hippy barn, meets German mountain house, meets zen Asian retreat, meets... The decor was very eclectic as other reviewers have mentioned, and certainly uniquely mixed together, but also very comfortable and homey. I liked that it was a genuine collection of artifacts and hand hewn furniture (Nakashima-esque dining table and credenzas created by a friend of the owner - beautiful!) rather than they way that so many bed and breakfasts are so precisely decorated in a particular theme that they seem like theatrical sets instead of real homes. These items were chosen with love, and it shows.

The rooms were small but very clean and cozy. The twin beds in Otto's room were vintage and squeaked quite a bit when we climbed in and out or rolled over in the night, but were very comfortable and my fiance and I both slept quite well. I think they would be perfect for kids or young adults but probably a bit less comfortable for an older or larger built adult. My brother and sister-in-law slept soundly in the queen bed in Roland's room. So quiet and peaceful.

We were so excited by the idea of lounging in the double height living room by the fire that brought our own scotch and dessert and spent almost 2 1/2 hours chatting amongst ourselves and a little with the staff with the dog at our feet just like home. The staff was amazingly friendly and courteous. Even the maintenance people were welcoming. Breakfast was very plentiful and there was much more variety than I usually expect at a bed and breakfast. We chose custom egg dishes and crispy light waffles with fresh fruit and it was delicious. I highly recommend the blueberry muffins too. The other guests staying when we did seemed both nice and as happy with the place as we were. I found myself wishing it was warmer weather to enjoy the lovely landscape.

I would HIGHLY recommend staying here for Philadelphia, Longwood Gardens, or even just as a get away. Perfect for a couple, a family, or even a group of friends. The vibe here is "all are welcome".

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Alpenhof Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!