“Very poor motel for it's star-ratings” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Park Inn by Radisson Harrisburg West

You added Park Inn by Radisson Harrisburg West to your Saves list
Park Inn by Radisson Harrisburg West
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5401 Carlisle Pike, Mechanicsburg, PA 17050 (Formerly Holiday Inn Harrisburg West)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Mechanicsburg
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Very poor motel for it's star-ratings”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

My room was in the middle of the building all the way to the back of the property. The beds were VERY hard. Saw a cockroach 2 days in a row. Hopped into the shower Saturday morning as the water was slightly warm, lathered up my hairy, then suddenly water turn cold as ice! Hot water was completely gone! Had to rinse in cold water then walk into my very cold room to turn up the heat. Gave me a pounding headache which lasted most of the day. Walls, doors, and ceiling had stains and water damage. Everything in the room was very outdated, including the old tube TV that kept shutting off every 1/2 hour or so. My curtains, and at least all of my neighbors curtains, won't shut all the way. Leaving about a 3 inch gap. I had to unlatch mine and rehang them to overlap each other, making it so that they can't be re-opened. Oh Well! And as I pulled into a parking space one evening, I got to see a VERY large man walk out of his bathroom naked. Yay Me! I then noticed that all of the curtains around there were like that too. With all these "peep show" curtains, makes ya wonder if this is one of those sex/swinger type hotels. There is a connecting bar/club and at night the parking lot is full of drunks. Oh, and the wifi was very slow too. I stay in about 50 hotels/year and this has got to be the most over-star-rated hotel I have ever stayed at. If you don't consider the very nice lobby, then I would suggest a 1-star rating for this dump.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
David M, Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Harrisburg West, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future. To discuss your stay further, please contact the hotel directly, and ask for David, AGM.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Mechanicsburg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

The food in the lounge was very good. Unfortunately, that is the only good thing I have to offer. The room was dirty and noisy. Water could be heard running all night. The heater did not work well. Others in my group report holes behind mirrors that could be walked into and crawl spaces accessing who knows where from them. I will not stay at this location again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

mccordd, Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Harrisburg West, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and review on Tripadvisor! I was happy to see that you enjoyed our lounge and diappointed to see that your stay was less than satisfactory.

To the concern of holes and walkways behind the mirrors, we do have plumbing access behind some sinks that is covered by a mirror in a few rooms. This is so we can access pipe shut off valves due to regular maintainance. These access' are small and would not allow for anyone to fit in. I understand the concern, but there is no way any mischief can be gained with the pipe access.

Thank you again for your response.

David McCord
AGM
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I stayed at the Park Inn in Nov 2013 for one night for business. The first thing to note is that this property is not a hotel. It is an old-style motor lodge construction that I'd estimate was built in the 1950s (exterior brick is of that era). While normally this is a no-go for me, I trusted the four star TripAdvisor rating and booked. This was not one of my best decisions.

In fairness, the room was clean, it just wasn't THAT clean. Dust in corners, a musty smell, and that weird I-should-really-windex-my-windows film suggest that housekeeping has been cutting corners for some time. Cracks in the plaster around the doors and some staining on the carpet and ceiling stucco suggest that maintenance has been doing the same.

Although scratchy, the linens and towels were clean. The bed,however, was a rock. I like that the current trend in hotel appointment is to put a mid-range pillow top mattress in the rooms. I can credit the Park Inn for being a stalwart and not following this trend. The HDTV in the room was a plus.

When traveling for business, reliable wifi is a must for me, since it's the key to Skyping loved ones back home and catching up on news. I can't complain about the speed of the Park Inn's wifi, but that's because it was completely non-functional. The one time that I was able to connect (for ~10 mins) the connection was abysmal and kept dropping out. Same problem with the Ethernet connection- a complete dud.

So, all-in-all, I can't recommend this property. It might be good for a budget traveler looking to avoid bugs (there were none- I checked), but it just isn't clean enough, comfortable enough, or have the business amenities to get anything near a four star rating from this traveller.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
mccordd, Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Harrisburg West, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for your review of our Park Inn in Mechanicsburg, PA. We greatly appreciate feedback as this is how we are able to fine tune our operation to better satisfy our customers. I am very sorry to hear that your stay was less than satisfactory and I'm sorry I wasn't aware of your concerns while you were here that I could have addressed them. Please consider contacting me at the property to make this right for you!

David McCord
AGM
Frederick, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I'm the type of traveler that will shy away from hotels due to their distance to my destination, but this hotel is just too much value for the price. From the sports field directly adjacent to the rooms, the indoor and outdoor swimming pools, sports bar and grille (excellent bar tenders and waitresses), beach style night club and last but not least pet friendly rooms with mini-fridge and microwave, this place has been my only choice when making our semi-annual trip to Hersey Park.

The only thing keep me from giving it a 5-star rating is the maintenance staff approach to the customer. Overall, would highly recommend this hotel to all categories of trip advisor travelers.

Room Tip: If traveling with Families or Pets, request to stay on a ground floor facing the sports fields.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Nice Staff , warm pool, good restaurant on site , convenient to local highways. And the room was ultra clean , with a fridge and at a terrific price. I stayed there over a weekend with my 13 yr old son and we had a blast. I will be back. Thanks.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Lewistown Pa.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We only spent one night here as a couple and booked one few of the whirlpool suites they have to offer. This is the second time we have stayed here although a review was never written for the first stay. Our stay this time was very much like the first, the room itself was clean and very well appointed, we had no problems whatsoever. The whirlpool suites are located directly above the hotel bar/nightclub as stated online with the individual room descriptions, it is very loud if they have live entertainment, which didn't bother us because we decided to check out the band, which was pretty good. We had been asked to sign a paper stating we understood that it would be noisy, which we feel is appropriate. It may seem an inconvenience to some, because there are only a handful of rooms available in the main building, but this is a very large hotel complex made up of many different buildings. The main building has approximately 10-12 guest rooms on the top floor with many large meeting/ballrooms on the main floor and the lower level. The grounds themselves appear to be very well kept and in order, they even have a mini golf course. Although the outdoor pool was closed for the season the indoor pool area was very nice and the pool itself was very clean. We didn't have any trouble being checked into our room even though we arrived a few hours early. What we saw of this hotel and its facility's, it appears to be well run and very well taken care of.

Room Tip: Read the reviews posted here carefully, ask the staff for whatever it is you may need, they are very...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Waldron, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We spent four nights at this hotel and had three rooms in our group. We booked them separately through Hotwire for a rate that I felt was almost too good to be true, but I was pleasantly surprised by the property and the service we received.

The rooms were clean, they swept the rooms every day, and they continued to replaced our towels with the correct number after we asked for additional towels the first night.

I spoke with the Gessica at the front desk the morning before we checked in, and she arranged for our rooms to be ready early and put all three rooms together. When we arrived a few hours later, she still remembered our names and had us all squared away.

We stayed on the back side of the property, and if you're looking for a quiet room, I'd definitely ask to stay in the back. The rooms opened to the outside, which doesn't bother me, and the rooms had a standard set up with two double beds, a desk & chair, tv, fridge, microwave, armchair, and a split bathroom with a vanity outside of the toilet/shower area.

I slept fine in the beds, although I did notice that the other bed in our room (the one I didn't sleep on) was softer than mine, so if you find the bed in your room intolerable, try the other one, or ask for a different room - this is a big property with 200+ rooms, so unless they are just crazy busy, they probably have a bed you'll like, don't suffer through more than one night of discomfort. I also had no problem getting extra towels and an extra blanket for my bed. The staff was very pleasant and prompt.

We didn't use the pools (the outside one was closed since it was October :)), but I did use the business center and it perfectly met my needs. There were no extraneous hoops to jump through and I was able to print an airline boarding pass quickly and tech-problem free. I also had no problems with the wifi. It wasn't super fast, but was perfectly suitable for my needs and easy to get on.

We ate at the on-site sports bar, Legends, and had a pleasant experience. The menu was limited, but all the food they brought us was better than average, the drinks were strong, and the waitstaff and bartender were knowledgeable and attentive. They also give Hotwire customers a coupon for 25% off the food bill, so the already reasonably priced meal was pretty cheap.

We were in town for an event at the Farm Show Complex, so we were about fifteen min away from our site, but the hotel is very close to the interstate, easy to find if you're not from the area, and conveniently near a variety of shopping and other restaurants.

Unfortunately, the hotel does not have a continental breakfast, although Legends does offer a breakfast menu. However, with a fridge and a microwave in the room and a few nearby fast breakfast options, this was easily remedied, particularly for the price we paid per night.

Overall, we had an excellent trip, and I had no complaints about this hotel. Its a bit dated looking, and if it bothers you that it doesn't look like a downtown swanky hotel, then don't stay here, but we were very happy with the value and the service we received. I think this hotel offers quite the bang for your buck.

Room Tip: Request a room an the back side of the property for something quiet, or in the main building if you...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
mccordd, Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Harrisburg West, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you so much for your review on Trip advisor. Wow! I really enjoyed reading your review and I hope that your experience at our hotel will help others choose the Park Inn for their hotel needs. Thank you again!

Been to Park Inn by Radisson Harrisburg West? Share your experiences!