After finding an incredible deal for "a 3-star hotel" on Priceline ($52 a night), I couldn't resist booking it. After it was revealed that it was the Park Inn, I immediately checked reviews of the place and was a little worried when I saw some negative ones.
I just returned from a four-night stay there and can happily say that it was a great experience. We were initially greeted by Matt at reception, who was extremely pleasant and helpful. We asked for a room away from the nightclub (I heeded a warning by another reviewer) and got a room by the pool at the back of the hotel.
The hotel is very big -- there are several buildings. There's no doubt the buildings themselves (and the lobby) could use some updating, but the room (while small) was nicely decorated with a fridge and microwave -- and it was spotless. The bed was clean and comfortable and the AC worked well. However, the Wi-Fi in the room was a little spotty at times. And unfortunately, I do agree with another reviewer that the walls are a bit thin. It didn't really affect us b/c we only heard our neighbors toward the end of our stay.
The grounds have quite a bit to offer. There are two pools -- indoor and outdoor -- that are very nice and well kept. There's also a huge picnic area with grills that would be ideal for families or large groups. There's also a mini-golf course attached to the property.
There's an indoor pub (didn't hear great things about the food but it's good for a drink or two) and a nightclub (with mechanical bull and all) connected to the hotel, with an adjacent patio bar. The patio bar is huge -- with a large indoor section and wraparound deck area with plenty of seating, canopied areas and individual fire pits (my favorite part). They serve cocktails until 2am.
If you're looking to go to Hershey Park (our purpose for the visit), you can purchase discount tickets at the front desk. Hershey Park is roughly 25-30 mins away from the Park Inn, so keep that in mind if you are looking for something closer.
Also, the road on which the Park Inn is located is filled with every kind of store and restaurant imaginable (gas stations, fast food, Kmart, diners, Dunkin Donuts, etc.) We didn't get a chance to try any of the restaurants in the area (except for diners), but I know yelp has a good listing of places to try in Mechanicsburg.
So overall, here's my take on the the Park Inn: It's not the most beautiful, modern place you've ever seen, but it's certainly nice enough -- and it's very clean. The staff is exceptional and you have pretty much everything you could ever need in close proximity. Well worth the trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 100% Smoke Free Hotel sits on 22 acres of land and has shopping, theaters, restaurants and other activities within a 1 mile radius. Offers Indoor and outdoor pool, 24 Hour on-site fitness center, 24-hour business center and on-site laundry facilities. There is over 16,000 square feet of meeting space, Picnic Groves, Outdoor Courtyard, Mini-golf course, sand volleyball courts, Softball field. Enjoy onsite dining at Pappy K's Ales house and Big Deck featuring salads, sandwiches, pasta, fresh quality seafood, premium all aged beef and the west Shore's ultimate craft beer experience. The hotel is right across the street from the Mechanicsburg Navy Depot and a short distance to the Farm Show Complex, Ski Roundtop, Carlisle Fairgrounds, Downtown Harrisburg, and Hershey Park. We can accommodate picnics up to 1500 people and have outdoor facilities for wedding ceremonies and receptions. We have 12 meeting rooms that can accommodate from 10 - 800 people. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Tingo, Hotels.com, Otel and Venere so you can book your Park Inn by Radisson Harrisburg West reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Park Inn By Radisson Harrisburg West Hotel Mechanicsburg
- Holiday Inn Mechanicsburg
- Mechanicsburg Holiday Inn