“A Great Place to Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Park Inn by Radisson Harrisburg West

Save Saved
You added Park Inn by Radisson Harrisburg West to your Saves list
Park Inn by Radisson Harrisburg West
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5401 Carlisle Pike, Mechanicsburg, PA 17050 (Formerly Holiday Inn Harrisburg West)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Mechanicsburg
Great Neck, New York
“A Great Place to Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

After finding an incredible deal for "a 3-star hotel" on Priceline ($52 a night), I couldn't resist booking it. After it was revealed that it was the Park Inn, I immediately checked reviews of the place and was a little worried when I saw some negative ones.

I just returned from a four-night stay there and can happily say that it was a great experience. We were initially greeted by Matt at reception, who was extremely pleasant and helpful. We asked for a room away from the nightclub (I heeded a warning by another reviewer) and got a room by the pool at the back of the hotel.

The hotel is very big -- there are several buildings. There's no doubt the buildings themselves (and the lobby) could use some updating, but the room (while small) was nicely decorated with a fridge and microwave -- and it was spotless. The bed was clean and comfortable and the AC worked well. However, the Wi-Fi in the room was a little spotty at times. And unfortunately, I do agree with another reviewer that the walls are a bit thin. It didn't really affect us b/c we only heard our neighbors toward the end of our stay.

The grounds have quite a bit to offer. There are two pools -- indoor and outdoor -- that are very nice and well kept. There's also a huge picnic area with grills that would be ideal for families or large groups. There's also a mini-golf course attached to the property.

There's an indoor pub (didn't hear great things about the food but it's good for a drink or two) and a nightclub (with mechanical bull and all) connected to the hotel, with an adjacent patio bar. The patio bar is huge -- with a large indoor section and wraparound deck area with plenty of seating, canopied areas and individual fire pits (my favorite part). They serve cocktails until 2am.

If you're looking to go to Hershey Park (our purpose for the visit), you can purchase discount tickets at the front desk. Hershey Park is roughly 25-30 mins away from the Park Inn, so keep that in mind if you are looking for something closer.

Also, the road on which the Park Inn is located is filled with every kind of store and restaurant imaginable (gas stations, fast food, Kmart, diners, Dunkin Donuts, etc.) We didn't get a chance to try any of the restaurants in the area (except for diners), but I know yelp has a good listing of places to try in Mechanicsburg.

So overall, here's my take on the the Park Inn: It's not the most beautiful, modern place you've ever seen, but it's certainly nice enough -- and it's very clean. The staff is exceptional and you have pretty much everything you could ever need in close proximity. Well worth the trip.

Room Tip: If you go to bed early or just want peace and quiet, ask for a room away from nightclub.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
mccordd, Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Harrisburg West, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you for your review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

This Park Inn was chosen as it was conveniently located to where I was on business. Initially, I did not expect it be any more than just a basic small place to meet basic needs. Though I have some fond memories of past stays and even have a Gold Points card with Radisson, this was the first time I’d heard of the Park Inn line of properties.

I was surprised to find out just how large it was and how much it had to offer. It was formerly a Holiday Inn, but larger than most I have stayed over many years of traveling through the USA. This property had many amenities. There are meeting rooms, such as you’d find in large downtown hotels, indoor and outdoor pools, and a patio for private parties, such as wedding events, and adjoining restaurants and bars.

Attached to the lobby is Legends, a sports bar and restaurant. They were having a Bourbon event which caught my attention and I did drop in later to sample the “good stuff” being offered. This is also where the hot breakfast included in my room arrangement was served. Further past Legends was Buckwilds, which I did not visit

Across the road you will find Carrabba’s, TGI Friday’s, Bob Evans, Dunkin’ Donuts and several smaller restaurants in a nearby strip mall, so you will not have far to go for a quality meal.

The staff at Park Inn was great and very professional. Of particular note was the helpfulness of Tony, working the “check-in” shift and David who never seemed to leave his post at the front desk. The other staff members were also very friendly. I’m starting to like this town.

The room was the standard design of the old Holiday Inn Motels, which I remember from the family vacations of my distant youth. All rooms open out to a sidewalk in front of the parked vehicles or a balcony walkway on the upper floors. The bathroom was located in the rear of the room.

My assigned room had two beds, but I only needed and used one. The one I selected was far softer than I prefer, but that is personal choice. There was free Internet. I plugged in, but I think WiFi was also available. The room was clean and comfortable and I got a good night’s sleep.

Due to its location to where I may need to return for business and the good restaurants in the local area, I will be tempted to stay at this Park Inn on another trip to Mechanicsburg.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
I appreciate the reivew on tripadvisor.com. Feedback is how we learn and grow to serve our guests.
Clifton, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

The best part of the property is the 22 acres surrounding it, where one can walk around the entire area and it is close to a mile. I walked in the early morning and enjoyed the nature and fresh air.
We had a handicapped room by choice and it was equipped correctly. The maintenance of the room was an issue. We reported to housekeeping that the sink was stopped up. They never came to fix it. There was a light bulb out over the sink and it was never replaced. Also, I spilled toothpaste in the sink and it was not cleaned off. We were at an event that took place at the hotel..

Room Tip: We were very close to where the events took place, because it was a handicapped room. Some rooms wer...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review.
Dillsburg, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I had my wedding and reception at the Park Inn and they were wonderful. The rooms were nice and clean. The only thing I didn't like was that the walls in the room were so thin that I could hear everthing going on in the next room. I had trouble sleeping after my long day.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review. I enjoyed reading it.
Vincentown, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Room, ok, but....several items missing had to call lobby several times. First night up till 4 AM with BIKER'S right near our room starting their Harley's right outside our door. 2nd night not much better. Also parked right there, had to walk clear across the lot while their bikes roared there in front of our door. Many hotel staff saw them, considering there is a cleaning station right at the corner of that building section. So much for sleep! Also ice machine they claim JUST broke , bartender told us was broken for ages. Did tell us the gas station down the highway sold ice! And the people out front of the lobby smoking,some convention, a smoker's convention I guess, that was good too! Sarcasm!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
mccordd, Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Harrisburg West, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and I apologize the your stay was less than satisfactory. Please contact me at the hotel to resolve. Have a great day!
NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Currently staying at this property and all I have to say is look else where. This motel is rundown. I do not expect a 3* property to have doors that face the parking lot..ie no interior corridors.
Also they promise you free wifi however It does not work in the room. I am using my phone to type this review. Staff is really unaccommodating , asked to get a king sized bed on the 2nd floor and received two doubles on the first floor. We were told no other rooms were available however the parking lot was empty. The outside noise is so distracting as you can hear people coming in and out of their cars. Even at a priceline price this property is not worth it. Rooms are also rundown and padding between walls is nonexistent. Beds are uncomfortable.

Its not all negative though they have two pools one indoor and another outdoor. There is play area for kids. The is a small Park that can be used as a baseball field. Parking is abundant. Plenty of restaurants are nearby.

• Stayed July 2013
Carlson Hotels C, Online, Customer Support at Park Inn by Radisson Harrisburg West, responded to this review, July 24, 2013

If you would like to discuss your stay further, please contact Corporate Customer Care.
Dillsburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We had our wedding at the Park Inn, Mechanicsburg. I don't think we could be anymore pleased with how the Park Inn made our day more special than it already was! Courtney always answered my questions very promptly and always made me feel at ease. She was such a pleasure to deal with. We wanted an outdoor ceremony and had chosen to have it at Park Inn along with our reception. It was very convenient for our guests and us to have everything at one location and they offered an exceptional packaged deal! We were married at Park Inn on June 7 2013 and in my opinion, summer is the best time of the year to have a ceremony there. The roses were in full bloom and it was so pretty! On the day of our wedding it was raining. At times, pouring down rain. Despite the added stress and panic the bad weather caused, the Park Inn staff was a tremendous help and Courtney made sure that we could still have our outdoor ceremony. It turned out perfect, in spite of the many raindrops. Courtney also had presented an exceptionally thoughtful gift for us when we arrived at our head table! There are some really pretty locations for pictures on the grounds. Due to the weather, there were some that we did not get to take advantage of. Our Maître’ D, Cori, was so polite. She tended to our every need from the moment we arrived and started getting ready. Our guests even commented about how spot on she was throughout our evening. The food was delicious and every one had plenty to eat. As far as our room, we were to get the Honeymoon Jacuzzi suite, however the room we did get was a normal decorated room with no Jacuzzi. We were pretty upset about that especially being we were not taking a honeymoon so this was our ‘one night getaway’. I think there was a car show in Carlisle that weekend and so our room was probably given to someone else? A little disappointing based on the amount of money paid for the wedding however, we didn’t let it ruin the whole experience. This is the only reason it is a 4 out of 5. Everything else was absolutely perfect and we highly recommend having your ceremony and/or reception at the Park Inn. It is a great location and they make it completely stress free for you! They take care of everything!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words. I will pass this along to our wedding staff

Been to Park Inn by Radisson Harrisburg West? Share your experiences!