“Not as great as expected, but it was decent” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn 2X HHonors Points
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Mechanicsburg
braddotcom
“Not as great as expected, but it was decent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2007

I used tripadvisor to narrow the field for a hotel to stay at for our family vacation to HersheyPark. We have two kids, ages 3 and 4, and they had the time of their life at the hotel and the park. A+ vacation.

Based on the fact that this hotel is considered the #1 Homewood Suites in the US, I was expecting a little more. The hotel was still decent, but just a few things didn't live up to the hype.

First, the bad:

The carpets were dirty. Most hotels this is the case to some extent, but our kids ran around the suite in their socks (or bare feet) and within 15 minutes they were black. We made them wear shoes in the room (as did we) the rest of the trip.

The pillows were too big. I think they may have been new or something, but neither my wife nor I could sleep on them. They were easily over a foot thick. Try laying down with your head on a stack of pillows a foot thick. You can't possibly get comfortable. We called the front desk, but no "thin" pillow were available. We ended up using folded towels as our pillows.

The sheets and blankets were not that nice. Again, not expecting the top of the line luxury here, but both the sheets and blankets had a rough feel and did not make for the most comfortable bed.

The king bed was overly firm. When tossing my kids onto the bed for a little roughhouse time, they actually said the bed hurt! That never happens at home.

The kitchen sink disposal was not functioning in the room. I am surprised the staff doesn't check this out between check ins at the hotel.

Now, the good:

We ate at the hotel breakfast every morning. There was ample seating, and the lobby and pool seating areas are nice. The food offering was modest but decent for a hotel breakfast buffet, and everyone had a good meal to start the day. No belgian waffle maker, though.

Our room was quiet and we never heard other guests. This was expecially good since we had the little guys going to sleep around 9pm.

The area of the hotel is quiet and seems to be safe. There were plenty of restarants within 10 minutes. (Applebees, Red Robin, Outback, Starbucks, Panera Bread, Olive Garden, etc.)

Note for HersheyPark visitors:

If you are choosing this hotel to stay at for a visit to Hershey, the drive is about 20-30 minutes. It's a little longer than I thought it would be. Even at 10-11am in the morning, some of the roads you take to get to the park have heavy traffic.

Overall, I still would consider staying here again, but I would consider other hotels. There might be some of better/equal quality for a better price.

• Liked — 2-room suite
  • Disliked — Dirty carpets
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Howell, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2007

We just got back from a 2 day stay at the Homewood Suites West. I can
not say enough positive things about the place. The staff were very nice. Upon arriving on a Thursday, there was a light dinner free of charge being served. Served every night M-Thurs. along with a free hot breakfast every morning and newspaper by your door. Very good. The hotel makes you feel so welcomed and at home with the fireplaces always on to the plantation shutters on the large windows and beautiful fresh flowers all over. The outdoor pool was heated too. We had a 2 bedroom suite which was large and very comfortable. The master bedroom had a king bed and master bath, the other room had 2 double beds and their own bath as well seperated by a living room with a sofa bed and living area with a full kitchen and comfy easy chair. The place was immaculate, beds were very comfortable and plenty of towels and extra pillows. Shower pressure and shower head were wonderful. Every night at 8:30 they put out fresh baked cookies.
Oh, and the light dinner offers free wine and cold beer on tap if you are into that along with big vats of lemonade and ice tea. Two bedroom suite was 199.00 pl tx. a night and was about 20-25 minutes from Hershey, but well worth the trip.

• Liked — Cleanliness and home like atmosphere
  • Disliked — Distance to Hershey
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cumming, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2007

I stayed at the Homewood Suites for two weeks while training with my company in Mechanicsburg, PA. It was an absolutely wonderful experience. Besides a lovely, spacious suite, there were Hershey's kisses beside the bed every night, a fireplace that lighted on the touch of a switch, full breakfast and dinner included in the price of the room, all of the amenities of home, and a cheerful staff that was always ready to help. The bed was the most comfortable on which I have ever slept. To top it off, there were hot home-baked cookies every night at 8:30. I'm sure that we got a company rate, but even at full price, it would have been a real deal. I fully reccommend this hotel.

Stayed February 2007
Reston, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2006

I have been to this hotel twice this year on business trips and have been thoroughly pleased. The suites were nice and roomy, the beds were comfortable, and the kitchen facilities were more than adequate. This hotel offers free wireless internet service, and the complimentary evening snacks were a nice treat. No complaints - good job!

• Liked — Roominess
  • Disliked — Nothing major
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2006

I just spent one night on a Saturday with two other adults and found the place to be excellent. Room was very clean, with a fantastic King Size Bed. My Sister in law used the sofa bed and found it quite acceptable. Acces was easy from I80 and staff was really polite and efficient; no time wasted.

The breakfast was excellent with fresh fruits, pastries, a variety of breads and waffle, and the usual scrambled eggs. By the way, the orange huice tasted great! Lots of people was there as it was the weekend; nevertheless, we used the terrasse near the pool under nice canopy with plants and flowers nearby. Just excellent.

Even when the kids used the pool at 10h00 PM, the manager took action to calm them down and ensure a nice environment.

No doubts I would return again.

• Liked — Great Beds
  • Disliked — Access to restroom was through the bedroom. Not great for sleeper in the sofa beds
  • Tips/Secrets — Check for prices directly with hotel
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Marlton, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

Based on user reviews I expected an excellent experience. I was very disappointed. My room was a B- on the cleanlieness chart. I didn't complain because I was using Hilton Hononrs Points. This is the oldest and worst Homewood Suites I have stayed in. What really upset me was that on the second day of my stay, my son and I arrived back at the hotel at 6PM to find that our room had not been made up. I called to complain and was told by the manager that they were still working on the rooms. What could I say? I had a free room as it was. I wouldn't say that it is a bad place to stay but if you have stayed at other Homewood Suites you may be as disappointed as I was.

• Stayed July 2006
Taiyuan, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2006

This is just a really nice hotel. What stands out was that all of the staff I interacted with were very nice and approachable. They were the kind of people who tried to answer questions instead of make excuses.

The hotel is also very homey and pleasant, even though the lobby decor leaned more towards country than I like. There is a very nice courtyard with a pool, also.

My room was slightly larger than other suites-type hotels I have stayed at. There was a recliner and a larger-than-usual table, but no separate desk.

The breakfast is a bit nicer than most comparable hotels with longer hours, more food options, and real flatware and cups along with disposable options. The hot food tended to include unusual options like breakfast egg rolls and burritos.

Coffee and tea are available in the lobby 24 hours a day, and there were cookies in the evening.

Internet access is wireless. I borrowed a wireless connection from the front desk and had a little trouble getting it set-up correctly.

A minor complaint--no bath mat was provided one day, and the maid never provided popcorn after the first day. The front desk said it should be provided and always gave us a pack when we asked.

• Stayed May 2006

Been to Homewood Suites Harrisburg West? Share your experiences!