“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Mechanicsburg
New York City, New York
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

When I reserved the room directly through Wingate I made a special request for a room that was clean enough for someone with allergies and quiet. When I walked into the room there were what I believe were biting midges since I was itching around my head and received some small bites on my arms and legs. I asked management to change our room but they said they were all booked up and would not able to make a change. The bathroom sink was slow to drain and shower lever was very loose so I was not able to get the water very warm. There was also a bad odor that always emanated from the bathroom. At about 2:30am the people next door turned on the tv and we called management who had them lower it but the walls were thin so it still did not allow us to sleep. I chose Wingate based upon its high online reviews and my experience may be an aberration, however, I thought it may be helpful for travelers who wish to consider an overnight stay at this location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
MORGANTOWN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Booked a room for an XC meet. Carefully read the cancellation policy since we weren't sure if we would actually need the room due to still to be scheduled events that might dictate driving to Carlise on the morning of the race. Noticed a cheaper rate in a tab on the same Wingate webpage, clicked on the tab and booked the room. Tried to cancel the room and was told that by selecting the cheaper rate I had "pre purchased" the room and no cancelations were allowed for any reason. I was told on the phone that I should have called to "confirm the cancellation policy" before booking. So much for the convenience of booking online. Will not stay at a Wyndham property again if we have any choice.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

BAY SHORE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

The hotel is a great value, especially with the discount you give to Messiah College families. The only negative thing about the weekend is that we had HORRIBLE neighbors. They were up and VERY LOUD from as early as 5AM - NOT COOL! That, however, is not the hotel's fault. That could happen anywhere you stay. Regardless, I make this hotel my first choice everytime I come to visit my daughter in college.

LANCASTER
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

From the moment I signed in to the morning we left, the staff and room were outstanding. I will highly recommend staying there. Even at 1030 in the evening the coffee was even good, you can't say that about most hotels.

PERKASIE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

While I enjoyed my stay and felt the hotel is clean and staff professional, I do think it would serve your hotel well to do something about the traffic noise for guests staying on that side of the hotel. I asked to have my profile updated to indicate ALWAYS having a room on the non-highway side. I don't regard myself as a light sleeper, but had a challenging time sleeping with the trucks. My 18 year old son thought the same. The "constant fan" button did not work on the A/C unit; I was hoping to use the fan to drown out the traffic. It is my understanding that another hotel nearby, and also on the highway, installed special windows. Another idea is to have "white noise" players for guests to borrow at the front desk.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This hotel was great for the money. Breakfast was very good and included hot selections. Rooms with double beds were large with sitting area. A great overnight stay with friendly people at the front desk.

CHESTERFIELD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Great location, close to the PA Turnpike. Very nice front desk, sales and housekeeping staff. I commute every week from Virginia to PA and I stay at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Mechanicsburg/Harrisburg West? Share your experiences!