“Nice Clean Lodging, Convenient to Camp Hill” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Mechanicsburg
Santa Rosa, California
“Nice Clean Lodging, Convenient to Camp Hill”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

We were looking for a nice clean hotel to stay for a week while visiting family. The Wingate fit the bill. The rooms were clean and quiet - we asked for a room facing the parking lot and not the Penn. Turnpike. No complaints. OK breakfast provided daily, not gourmet, but what most folks eat. Very Reasonably priced. We would stay there again. Nice staff too!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room on entrance side of the hotel - NOT facing the Turnpike!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I stayed for a one-night layover while traveling the PA Turnpike. The hotel seems to be new, and is clean, modern and comfortable. The staff was very helpful when I checked in -- offering me a very good discounted rate, and ensuring that I was on the side of the hotel that does NOT face the highway (which appears to be a good thing, based on other reviews). Breakfast was exactly what you would expect, and I was happy to see fresh fruit and oatmeal available.

The walls seemed to be a bit thin -- I could clearly hear alarms going off in nearby rooms -- but luckily I'm an early riser so I didn't hear any other alarms before mine.

All in all, it's on par with the Hampton Inns, Fairfield Inns, and Holiday Inn Expresses of the world -- and a it costs a few dollars less. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Stay on the side of the hotel that does not face the highway.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
New Braunfels, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I reserved rooms for myself and my husband, as well as our son, daughter, and 3 adult grandchildren for 3 nights during the holidays. I had requested a guarantee of a rollaway in one of the rooms. The marketing manager phoned me to tell me that she had a room layout that she thought would work well for us. We had 4 rooms, 3 of which had connecting doors all the way through, with the middle room being like a living room, with no bed, just a sofa bed, the rollaway, a bathroom, microwave, fridge and small sink, as well as a flat screen tv. By leaving the connecting doors open we had a small apartment to ourselves. It was great, since we were coming from Texas, Ohio, New Jersey and England, and were able to visit in comfort. We heard no road noise and the hot breakfast was great. Coffee and juice was available 24 hours a day. The staff was very accommodating and friendly, and the rate was very reasonable. The indoor pool and exercise room was an added benefit. The hotel was very clean and quiet. Each room received a "snack bag" upon checking in, which made us feel special. We would definitely recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Milford, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

Thanks to other reviews about the turnpike noise I was able to ask and receive a room on the other side of the building so it was a quiet night. The Wingate had a holiday rate of $69 which I hope they offer every year because I will stay there when I see my family for Christmas. The Wingate was extremely clean and inviting. The bed was comfy, the bathroom very clean. I was very comfortable there overnight, and the complimentary breakfast was very nice too. The room was nice and big, I had a King bed...and there was an over-sized chair there too. I did not use the pool or the exercise room but I did see them and they looked very nice. I give this hotel a high grade and I would definitely stay there again if my plans include being back in that area!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the odd side of the hall...another reviewer said this and that's how I knew th...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

I cannot say more wonderful things about our recent stay at the Wingate. From the moment we checked in, we were impressed. We asked for a room on the west side of the hotel to combat highway traffic noise and were pleasantly surprised to find that our request had been granted and we were put on the first floor which made it very nice to get to breakfast, the pool area/fitness center, and the front desk. Not once did we have any trouble with any outside noise.

The hotel was first and foremost, very clean. I had actually gone to look at the location before booking our stay there because cleanliness is of the utmost importance to me when selecting a hotel. Rest assured, this hotel was spotless, from the lobby to the bathroom in our room. The pool area was the only place that could have used a little pick-me-up, especially the bathroom. There had been a bunch of kids that splashed a lot of water onto the floor, but it was notated with caution signs which I thought was pretty efficient. Other than that, we we pleased by the high level of cleanliness throughout.

The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. They even provided me with a toothbrush and toothpaste since I forgot mine! Check-in was a breeze. The only qualm I had was checking out. Since we had an early flight to make, our fourth night had not processed through and I never received an accurate bill for all four nights. The gentleman said it would take another hour to process, but we obviously couldn't wait and miss our flight. I was told I would be emailed the bill, but never received anything. However, there were no problems in charges. I was given paperwork for my records and there were no pricey surprises when we were charged for our stay. Throughout our stay, we called the front desk a couple of times about general questions regarding the surrounding area and places to eat and we were always provided with helpful assistance. The staff is very attentive to their guests and willing to help in any way they can.

The bed was extremely comfortable. We were both knocked out anytime we laid down which was a benefit on a vacation. It's a soft mattress with squishy pillows, perfect for us since we prefer it, but I know some people prefer a little more support and firmness. The fridge was nice but very small and not enough freezer space. Water pressure in the shower wasn't too bad, but it could have drained a little quicker in my opinion. The towels were a little on the small side as far as hotel towels go and the same applied to the pool towels as well which were like dish cloths.

Speaking of the pool, it was all right. The water wasn't freezing, but a little too cold at this time of year for us to really take advantage of it. The hot tub was really nice, but the jets were broken on the last night of our stay which was a bummer. The bathroom definitely could have been cleaned up a little more, but over all, it was nice to have the indoor pool/hot tub option.

One of the deciding factors for us too, was the breakfast served. We were excited to learn about the hot breakfast options. Personally, we both found everything absolutely delicious. We left full and happy every morning. There was a large selection of both hot and cold items, including eggs, sausage, waffles, and french toast sticks. Plenty of cereal, muffins and pastries, oatmeal to choose from along with fruits, yogurt, and more. Great variety of beverages too ranging from coffee to chocolate milk. Very impressed with the breakfast.

The wireless worked but it was admittedly very slow. We both use our laptops frequently and we both received messages that told us we were browsing too quickly at times and our connection would therefore be slowed. This was disappointing and the worst part of the wireless experience. After a few minutes figuring how to connect though, it wasn't so bad. It was free which was a must for us, of course.

The location was great too. Everything we needed was nearby. Plenty of restaurants, including a Crackle Barrel that you can literally cross the parking lot to get to, drug store, grocery store, and bank.

We will definitely be staying here again and are looking forward to it when we're in town again. Great stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the west side of the hotel to avoid highway traffic.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

I've stayed several time over the years and have always liked the consistency of the rooms. They're larger, well-lit. The rooms have a few blemishes here and there but overall, I've been pleased. The pool and hot tub are nice. I've not eaten at the breakfast. The rooms all have microwaves and refrigerators. The wifi is strong. The tv's are all flat panels and they have a nice selection of channels. I'm generally very happy with the hotel. I would recommend it. The hotel is built near the turnpike, but there IS NOT constant noise. I turn the fan on the ac unit and I hear nothing. The parking lot is well lit and it's close to many restaurants and even a grocery store. The hotel does have laundry facilities and its always clean. The staff have always been nice and professional. I do have to say that the rates of the hotel really goes up and down, and while generally priced appropriately sometimes the rate is to high for me. Why pay $50 more for the same room that I got for $50 less last week...no rate integrity.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

Older hotel build too close to Interstate 76. Transport noise is constant, day and night noise. Rooms have no curtains, so the outdoor spotlights, which are designed for hotel visibility, shine in the rooms. There are a lot of hotels to chose from in the area, all will be quieter. Forget about the 100% satisfaction guarantee, it doesn't exist here.

Room Tip: There is no quiet side to this hotel.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Diane Q, Director of Sales at Wingate by Wyndham Mechanicsburg/Harrisburg West, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Dear K1787,

I am sorry to hear that your stay here was less than enjoyable. I will be more than happy to discuss this with you over the phone at your convenience. Please call me at (717) 766-2710.

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Mechanicsburg/Harrisburg West? Share your experiences!