“Unexpected Peace & Joy” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mountain Dale Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in McClure
Mountain Dale Farm
330 Hassinger Way, McClure, PA 17841   |
Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
“Unexpected Peace & Joy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

What a delightful discovery - both for the pastoral setting and for the sweet proprietors: Ken and Sally! We had planned a quiet weekend away in another part of PA, then changed our location at the last minute to support our friends in their time of need. While we cam to Mountain Dale out of necessity, we will return because of our wonderful experience. Gregory & Colleen Davidson

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

13 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

In July 2012 I stayed at Sally and Ken's Mountain Dale Farm bed and breakfast for a week. The cast of farm animals included chickens, geese, peacocks, rabbits, horses, cows, goats, pigs, kittens and an old german shepherd named Brittany. Since I am from the city I found living at the farm very interesting and fun. I even got a chance to collect the eggs from the henhouse!

Their farm was the base of operations for me and six other students taking the McDonald's Digital Nature Photography Workshop. Sally and Ken were very gracious and made us feel right at home. Ken is also an auctioneer and the farm has a treasure trove of old signs, antiques, paintings, statues, and other very cool stuff making it rich with photographic opportunities. My room was located directly above the kitchen in the main house so every morning I woke up to the smell of homecooking. The delicious food was prepared fresh everyday. I highly recommend spending time at their farm to explore the beautiful surroundings and to enjoy a peaceful retreat.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Highspire, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

We have used Mountaindale farm 3 years for our family reunion and plan on going back again this year. We have had between 25-40 people and Sally and Ken (the owners) have been extremely helpful with making sure everything goes well. The kids love saving scraps to feed the animals and hiking in the woods. The parents love being able to let the kids play outside without having to worry about traffic. With so many of us we end up using 4-5 of the cabins plus the Apple storage building for our common space which has a pool table/ping pong table/lg room for gathering/plenty of folding tables and chairs so everyone could sit together for meals and a large kitchen that was perfect for all the cooking we did.

Keep in mind this is a working farm in the middle of a country setting. There are animals on that grounds that will make noise and I also have seen a mouse or two but thats all part of being on a farm. For the people who commented on the mismatched furniture/animal noises/etc I would suggest staying in a hotel where you can have industrial furniture with no character and contend with the noise from the hallway and next room. For me I would spend my vacation on this farm any time

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Newtown, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

After having read some of the reviews on this site, I was a bit nervous about having booked our stay at Mountain Dale. It was at least however, a reminder that we were visiting a farm and should expect it to be just that.

We never heard the dog barking, in fact Brittany the Shepherd was an absolute doll. She loves people and is super affectionate. Was there farm equipment and random "stuff" hanging around the grounds? Yes, but it didn't bother us at all - it's a working farm; the owners are very busy doing their daily chores, I'm sure landscaping and groundskeeping is not at the top of their priority list! I wouldn't have felt nervous letting our 2 & 3-year olds walk around with area with us.

I'm not going to lie about the mice - there was definitely a "pitter patter" going on in the attic of our cottage that brought about a couple, "did you hear that?" ...but even that was not as disturbing as one might think.

You have to put yourself in the context of your environment / surroundings. I would advise bringing a white noise machine if you don't want to wake up with the roosters, but that's just common sense, you're on a farm! Can't speak to the reviewer who found animals in the dresser drawers except again, you're on a farm and these are not hotel rooms--heck the buildings are probably not occupied full time and they don't have a full-time cleaning staff so I'm sure it's a struggle for the owners.

We and our friends enjoyed seeing all the animals, especially the baby ducks and chicks. We also saw a calf, goats, sheep, geese, goats, a peacock, a baby barn kitten, and all sorts of chickens wandering about. I tried scaring the fainting goats but he just kinda stumbled away - guess it takes a lot to spook them now!

We didn't get the opportunity to do any of the chores, our stay was brief. But the family was friendly and there certainly wasn't any sense of obligation that we needed to do any hard labor. If you want to have a quiet, lazy stay, I think the option is there to let it be what you want.

We stayed in the "Log house" which is just the right size for four people (2 full-size beds). Larger groups should be prepared to use the bunk beds, as that's what the remaining capacity listed on the site is. The furniture was dated and eclectic, but clean and certainly useable. The fridge looked new and super clean.

The TV looked like something my grandma had back in the day but as the folks there say, people don't come here to watch TV (bring a little DVD player though if you have kids looking for their favorite shows, you literally get 2 channels!).

The nearest restaurant (or anything) is 10-15 minutes away, so be prepared to either cook your own food or do a little driving.

I felt compelled to give some comments to counteract some of the foul reviews I read, and tell folks that if they're prepared to stay on a farm and accept what comes with that, you'll have a really nice time here. We look forward to bringing our boys next time to get familiar with the animals and learn how they are cared-for.

Room Tip: If you don't want to sleep on bunk beds, confirm ahead of time which cabin will best suit you an...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Woonsocket, Rhode Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

We've stayed at farms before. So, we can compare. With livestock on the grounds, you shouldn't be surprised to hear some noise at night, but it shouldn't be the owners dog at 3 in the morning! Several times per night, the dog found something to bark at.
Also, the animals shouldn't reside in the dresser drawers. Upon opening the drawer, we were greeted with chewed newspaper and rodent droppings.
In the bathroom, a sign hung next to the toilet advising the patron to make sure the toilet didn't keep running. Gee, we're paying for this? We stayed 2 nights. We were not provided with fresh towels/washcloths the second night.
We couldn't wait to leave this place.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington,DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

Not looking for a fancy hotel. Just wanted our granddaughter to learn about farm life, so spent a delightful weekend at Mountain Dale Farm. Had our own cottage with full kitchen and bath, and a front porch to sit on. As Sally explained, there aren't too many working farms these days with the variety of animals found at Mountain Dale. Chickens, geese, beef cattle, a horse, goats, sheep, a pig, a peacock, rabbits, pigeons, even a guinea pig. The sheep, goats, cows, and chickens all had babies. Best part for Sydney was helping feed the animals every day at 7 am and pm. She really learned a lot about the farm animals. This is not a B&B, so bring your own breakfast food. We did get to cook the fresh eggs Sydney gathered from the chicken coop. A rare experience for today's kids to get "up close and personal" with real farm animals.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

I stayed with my wife and children ages 9, 7 and 4. This is a wonderful low key, non-commercial way to spend a vacation with your family.

Our kids enjoyed the farm immensely and couldn't wait to do the farm chores (feeding chickens, pigs, horses, cows, goats and turkeys) twice a day. The Hassinger family are exceptional hosts and make themselves available as needed to make your stay enjoyable. Beyond the farm there are other activities in the region including an amusement park (Knoebels), markets (including a cattle auction which my kids enjoyed), Penn's Cave, and depending on the time of the year, county fairs.

The accommodations were clean, comfortable and homey, but not fancy. Our cabin (The Richards) had a fully functional kitchen where we were able to cook eggs fresh from the farm for breakfast.

On the whole I would recommend this strongly for a family vacation.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Still looking for a hotel?
Also consider these accommodations in or near McClure
BEST WESTERN Nittany Inn Milroy 4.0 of 5 stars 59 reviews
View all 0 hotels in McClure, ranked by popularity

Been to Mountain Dale Farm? Share your experiences!