“Very poor” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Chilworth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: SET IN THE PICTURESQUE VILLAGE OF CHILWORTH IN THE HEART OF THE SURREY HILLS, THE PERCY ARMS IS AN ELEGANT COUNTRY PUB AND GRILLHOUSE WITH LUXURIOUS ROOMS, SERVING MODERN BRITISH CUISINE WITH A SOUTH AFRICAN TWIST. ALREADY AN INSTITUTION FOR ITS STEAKS AND CUTS, THE PERCY ARMS CONTINUES ALSO TO OFFER A WIDE RANGE OF POULTRY, FRESH FISH AND VEGETARIAN DISHES TO TEMPT EVEN THE MOST FAITHFUL CARNIVORE. Daily specials’ boards include game roasts, specialty steaks and tempting South African dishes. The elegant formality of the dining room is perfect for a meal with friends or family, while the traditional bar is ideal for a relaxing pint or a glass of one of the specially selected wines. The cosy fireplaces are the perfect spot to wind down after a busy day.
London, United Kingdom
“Very poor”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

A big group of us met for Sunday lunch and decided on the Percy arms. I wish we hadnt. It was busy but we waited ages at the bar to get served and when we did the bar tender was so rude and unfriendly. Our table, booked at 2pm was not ready until 3pm, not good when you have three young children with you. The food was poor and included a soup starter served with a big, almost unmissable lump of plastic in it. Numerous other problems occurred and the experience gradually went from bad to laughable. The manager, in shorts and a T shirt, came over to see us but offered no apology. We will not be returning.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Guildford, United Kingdom
“Friendly atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I think this pub had a really friendly, fresh atmosphere and my partner and I both enjoyed our meal. We booked a room mid-week which we found to be tastefully furnished however we were not at all happy with the automated lighting in the bathroom which kept turning off and found it very inconvenient that there was no dressing table mirror or even a full length mirror anywhere in the room. The bathroom towels were folded up neatly at the end of the bed when ideally they should have been kept in the bathroom within easy reach when you step out of the shower.
However I would recommend both the restaurant and rooms and would visit again.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Great place for Sunday lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I found this pub having searched for somewhere child friendly for a large family gathering (12 of us) for Sunday lunch. Having then read other reviews here I nearly cancelled, but I'm so glad I didn't! It is a huge place and clearly extremely popular (be warned despite a large car park we all had to park a way away.) It is attractively laid out inside, and has a massive garden, with a great children's play area. We all went for the carvery, not cheap but such enormous portions that no pudding was required by anyone! The food was delicious and I haven't been anywhere before where you are offered up to 3 different meats and huge amounts of each. Other reviewers have found the staff rude but although we had to wait a while due to the large numbers of people there everyone was friendly, and when one of us was taken ill and required an ambulance they couldn't have been more helpful. Definitely a place we would go to again.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

This restaurant is situated in a lovely setting. I feel there is an air of complacency here. When we arrived we had to try and find someone to acknowledge our reservation. Once we were seated ( lovely booth) we gave our order but my daughter's started never arrived. Finally attracted a waitress' attention who expressed surprise' I didn't hear you order that' ( order was not relayed back to us). Delayed starter arrived eventually but no apology. Food was very nice but the delay in receiving the bill was due to cleaning of restaurant taking place! (this was at 9.30 on Sunday Bank holiday evening) Hard to attract anyone's attention. I paid £147.55 ( didn't give a tip for first time ever in my life and wish now I had refused to pay for very late arrival of my daughter's starter) for this meal and quite honestly wish we had stayed at home.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London
“Lovely place to stop for lunch after long hike”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Our London dog walking group gathered for a hike through the hills with our pups, starting in Guildford and ending in Chilworth. It was a lovely day out and despite the pub having no record of our reservation (despite ringing twice - this area needs work) we were pleased to find the pub at the end of a very long hilly walk. Dogs are allowed in the bar area of the pub but we opted to sit outside in the sunshine. My husband loved the local beer and the drinks menu was comprehensive. The food menu was varied with something for everyone. The short ribs and burgers went down a treat, followed by desserts such as Eton mess, chocolate fondant and crumble. We all waddled across the road to Chilworth Station with full bellies. All in all it was a wonderful day out.

• Visited August 2012