“Enjoyable” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Marshalls Creek
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Enjoyable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2006

I don't know what people expect from a place like this. My wife and I were simply looking for a get-away location to celebrate a wedding anniversary and we chose the Pocono Palace's Fantasy Apple suite to be different and shake things up a bit. I have known of this place for about 30 years but had never ventured there. Given what I had read about it, I was expecting to encounter a fairly high "cheese" factor. I'm happy to say that the cheese was mild.

To get the negative stuff out of the way first...The decor could be updated, but it's not horrible. It's 70's-ish, but I didn't think overwhelmingly so. The skylight on the top level has a blue tint to it that caused the room to have a bluish glow that I didn't care much for. The suite contained two televisions that were afterthoughts, and no DVD capability. The suite could be improved 100% with the addition of a no-kidding integrated entertainment center, but...we didn't go there to watch television. The fireplace is on the upper, or living room level, which in my opinion is wasted space. We didn't use the fireplace nor spend any time up there other than to traverse through the space to enter and exit the suite.

On the positive side, it was clean. No complaints there at all. To a man/woman, the staff was very friendly, helpful, and non-intrusive. There are plenty of activities to engage in. We chose to go fishing on the lake in a paddle boat, archery, and walking the nature trail. The organized activities weren't something we were attracted to and there was no staff member there harrassing us if we didn't go along. We were left to our own devices and the stay became what we made of it. I particularly liked the little pool in our suite. The water temperature was like bath water. The heart-shaped tub was okay, but shallower than I expected.

Some general observations: We had a mid-week stay of two nights. The clientele were mostly middle aged couples obviously on the same mission we were. I did not overhear a single complaint from anyone the two days we were there. The food was adequate. We ate all of our meals there and had a table for two each time. The key is to be there when they open the restaurant for each meal.

Here's my bottom line: The hotel is expensive, but can be deeply discounted if you go at the right times and perhaps have another hook such as being military. It was worth the rate we paid. This is not a five-star hotel in Vegas or New York. It is a unique resort tucked away in the mountains that allows a couple to immerse themselves in each other. It's not at the top of my list of places I must return to, but it is likely we will at some point. We had a great time.

• Stayed May 2006

750 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2006

My hubby and I stayed here to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The brochurs shoe the place wonderful and romantic. Not so when we got there. I thought it very dumpy, weeds everywhere, lawn that had not been cut or taken care of, crass growing through cracks in driveway. The lake was ok, small but relaxing. They do offer man activities which is nice. Did not like that for dinner we had to sit with about 8 more people. Especially since the conversation were a bit distasteful. Hubby and I never returned to dining room again (waste of money since it was included), instead we went out on our own. The room..... felt like a dungeon. Very musty, smelly and needed updating. The pool was nice so was having a sound system throughout. Bathroom was big and nice. Did not dare walk on the carpet barefoot, stains throughout. Definately needs updating. The rooms have no windows (for privacy) so expect to feel coopped in and lose track of time. Food at dinner was ok- typical buffet with luke warm food. Definately not worth the prices per night. Would not go again unless they did major renovations.

• Stayed September 2005

Travelers are raving about these Marshalls Creek hotels

Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2006

My wife and I recently enjoyed a 4 day/3 night stay in the Lakeside Chalet Suites at the Pocono Palace. The room was excellent, surprisingly large (with help from mirrors), clean, and the heart shaped tub was fantastic. They were having a spring sale, so the suite was about $270/night. Pretty good deal for all inclusive.

A note about the beds: bring your own pillows. Maybe it was our suite, but the pillows were rock solid. I woke up with a crick in my neck every morning. The beds are also king-size in diameter, so for the taller folks, these beds are going to be horrible. Also, check the wheels on the bed, as they fall off from time to time.

For those reading reviews on this place, you should already know that alcohol is not included. In fact, beer will set you back about $6+tip. You can ask to be seated alone for both dinner and breakfast, but for dinner, either get there early (6p.m.) or late (after 7p.m.), as there are only about 12 tables for two. Otherwise, you can wait for a table to open up or be seated with 3 other couples.

According to the hostess, buffets are on Sunday, Tuesday, and Fridays. The buffets are decent, but nothing extraordinary. The other nights they serve dinner. On Monday night, my wife and I enjoyed a prime rib dinner. It wasn't the best I've ever had, but it was good. Having not eaten lunch, I asked for another, and the waitress told me with a smile, "Oh yea, you can have as much as you want" and brought me out the largest piece of prime rib I've ever seen. =)

For breakfast, I HIGHLY suggest you do NOT do the breakfast in bed. Sure, it sounds novel. But the food arrives warm at best, and they don't have as many options as they do when you go in to eat breakfast. In the dining room, they'll usually have a special pancake (apple walnut, etc...) and an omelette. They also have a wide range of juices (we enjoyed the pineapple the most), and other goodies, so go eat in. =)

The arcade on the second floor SUCKS! Did I emphasize that enough? SUCKS! The pinball machines don't work and just eat your money; the arcade machines are old and fuzzy. So I suggest you enjoy the other activities available.

In terms of things to do in the area, the Palace is much better than Cove Haven. CH is kind of in the middle of nowhere, whereas the Palace is in town. there's a subway across the street, and La Rosa had decent pizza. There's also plenty of grocery stores and even a CVS nearby.

We also went to Bushkill falls. $9 entrance for adults. It was a fun hike, but I've definitely seen better water falls. Overrated, but we still had a good time.

My wife and I both felt that CH had more personality, but the Palace was definitely nicer, and more convenient. The activity directors at CH were more fun in our opinion.

As many have said, this place is what you make it. It can be dumb and cheesy, or it could be an awesome getaway without having to worry about charging everything to your room.

Stayed March 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2006

My fiance and I just returned from a fantastic, too-short stay at Caesars Pocono Palace, an we felt obligated to share our experience. We read a host of positive reviews before reserving a Roman Tower. As soon as the reservation was made, we were dismayed to see negative reviews creeping in. (We were a little nervous on the ride there!) Upon arrival, though, a quick inspection showed neat, clean rooms, a clean jacuzzi, a clean pool, a comfortable bed...nothing worn or dirty or musty. My fiance's preordered strawberries and homemade whipped cream showed up on arrival--six pounds worth--a recommendation, gents! From then on, we could completely relax and enjoy ourselves...

Here is a list of our thoughtful hints for maximizing your stay:

1) Bring the chill, romantic CDs. (Amazing sound system, 5-disc player, music piped into all rooms, including pool area...an under-rated feature of this room!)

2) Bring lots of candles. (Tealights are best, but we brought scented too for just the right mood. The more, the better.)

3) Bring your favorite romantic edibles/potables. (Wine, cheese, pate, yummy bread, crackers. Mini-fridge available for storage. Each night we were there, we fully intended to get to the restaurant, but were never able to tear ourselves away from the room, so we were glad for our own little meals...)

4) Bring lots of bottled water. (Especially if you intend to use the fantastic dry sauna. You'll be thirsty...)

5) Take advantage of breakfast in bed. (Hearty meal, real eggs, good bacon, not bad coffee, comes complete with a phone call "heads-up" when it's en route...awesome.)

6) Bring DVDs. (Plasma screen TV in bedroom, Bose surround sound...because you might need to recuperate for a couple of hours!)

7) Bring appropriate romantic clothing. (Room is as warm as you like it at all times. Don't bother to dress for the outdoors, even in March...)

We have a couple of final notes to consider. The jacuzzi requires a large volume of water, so don't shower just before, and fill it with hot water only to start, as you'll likely go through what's available for hot water. We ended up not using the fireplace due to poor draw of the flue (room got a little smoky), so bring one log to try yours...we brought four that we never used. If yours does work, there's a convenience store just down the road where you can get more. And ladies, watch those heels on the stairs!

Apparently, there are many activities available for guests (for which we simply had no use...). Our limited contact with the staff was completely positive, and the grounds are nice and well-kept.

In short, if you're looking for a quiet, romatic place to spend time with your special person, this is going to be hard to beat.

• Stayed March 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2006

We stayed in one of the Roman Tower rooms. The room was VERY clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We read some reviews before we left and were a little leary, but we were surprised in a good way. The room was exactly as pictured in the brochure and the pool seemed even larger than pictured. We also placed a Do Not Disturb sign on our door - at other hotels you are still disturbed, not here - no one bothers you. We disagree with some of the other reviews in that we thought the food was fine. Breakfast in bed was wonderful and there was plenty to eat, it may not have been as hot as you would like, but the joy of not having to "dress" for breakfast was worth it. We do agree that the "family style" dining stinks!! We went away for a romantic weekend together and definitely did not want to share our weekend with strangers. However, we asked the hostess for a private table, she said one would be available in a 1/2 hour She said we could wait in the lounge and have a drink while we waited for our table. We went to the lounge, had 2 sips of our drinks and were told our table was ready. Definitely worth the wait to have a private table. We also thought the food on the buffet was good. We are looking into a return trip to one of the rooms that overlook the beautiful lake. We would definitely recommend Pocono Palace to any couple looking for a romantic weekend!!

• Stayed March 2006
staten island, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2006

We recently returned from a six day stay at Pocono Palace, actually our 30 something stay. We've been coming here for over ten years. It's almost like home to us, but without all that comes with it. Management and staff are not only attentive and helpful, they are friendly and always remember a face and name from a past stay.

We stayed in the Fantasy Apple, which is our favorite. (we have stayed in every room that is offered, except the one in the main building) Our
room is always clean, as is our pool. There are plenty
of towels, etc., by the jacuzzi, shower and pool area. The rooms (tri-level) are decorated in all shades of blue.
The living room is large, with a fire place, small
fridge, 2 love seats and a skylight with a railing that overlooks the the bedroom and view of the lake.
The bedroom has a large king bed and jucuzzi, table for two by the sliding glass door and outdoor deck.
The lower level has the pool, suana and bathroom.

The dining room is what I consider "old world charm,"
it has character that speaks of times gone by and is cozy and warm with a view of the lake. Dinner is always plentiful and desserts are a fabulous treat.
Saturday is lobster night, what a magnificant meal, loster is so tender and very large, it melts in your mouth. There is always a choice of 4, and it's all
you can eat. Breakfast in the dining room is a great way to start your day with a buffet, and plenty of choices to chose from. Other days, breakfast in bed is a luxury, and a relaxing way to start the day, especially if you are planning to spend the day in bed.
The activities are predictable, but always fun to either take part in or watch. The social directors
try their best to have everyone join in for a better time.
There's also the game room that features lots of pool
tables, ping pong tables, pin ball machines and mini
golf. The game room, along with indoor pool, are open 24/7
The nightly entertainment is always enjoyable. Whether
listening to the different bands, comics, taking part
in silly games and of course, the famous Newlywed game.
Not everyone likes everything, so here, the choice is yours. The service is always with a smile. Sometimes,
they are right on top of everything, other times, a bit slower. But this too, is part of life, we wait on lines in banks, stores, etc. What's the rush, you're on vacation.

The atmosphere at Pocono Palace is a relaxed, warm and caring one. The staff want nothing more than for
everything to be as perfect as it can be for you.
With their friendly attitude they try to accomodate everyone. If you should happen to meet the resort
manager Phil, you will know what we mean.

Pocono Palace is a blend of old and new--the young lovers, the honeymooners, the marrieds and the seniors.
It has become our special place, just the two of us. In this hurried world, it has become more difficult
to find "time" (both quality and quantity) to be completely together...alone. The Palace is the place you can find it and have it.
My husband refers to Pocono Palace as Disney World for adults.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2006

We visited Pocono Palace in November of 2006. This place is falling apart. It is in NO WAY affiliated with Caesars Atlantic City or Caesars Las Vegas (Caesars sold off this rotting property years ago, but let them keep the name). The rooms are absolutely disgusting. We visited their website and took the virtual tours of the room, so we figured that the rooms would be clean and well-kept. However, when we stayed in the most expensive room, the Roman Tower, we found mold in the champagne hot tub. There was also mold in the heart-shaped pool. We quickly asked to be switched to another room, and reported the mold. We were switched to another Roman Tower room, where there was also mold and no hot water. When we called to report the problem, we were told all of the champagne tubs had mold in them and that it was "under the plastic" so that even if we could see it, it wouldn't touch us. As if that mattered!
The rooms aside--the activities leave much to be desired. It is NOTHING like a cruise or other vacation destination where you have a social director. Expect to sit in an old, 70's style room with TONS of elderly people smoking and hacking. That sums up about every activity in the place.
The food is airline quality. Don't let the website fool you--this place is NOT a honeymoon destination! We saw two poor honeymooners on this trip that were miserable and disappointed. Thankfully, we were not on our honeymoon. We got half of our money back, but we had to fight for it, big time.
We ended up going to Disney World for our next trip and stayed at the beautiful Caribbean Beach Resort (it was during the Value Season). 4 days / 5 nights at Disney (WITH airfare, park tickets and food) ended up being cheaper than 2 nights at the Roman Tower at Pocono Palace (and we didn't even fly to the Poconos)!
This place is depressing! If you're looking for a romantic getaway, spend your money somewhere else! You'll have a more romantic time at a Holiday Inn, where at least it's CLEAN!
If you don't believe me and live within driving distance of this place, take a look for yourself. Make sure you look INTO the jacuzzis and showers, not just from 20 feet away, like on the tours. You'll see something reminiscent of Gremlins.
Oh, and we visited the other properties during our stay (Brookdale and Paradise Stream). They were equally disgusting.

Been to Pocono Palace Resort? Share your experiences!