“Perfect Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Brooklyn, New York
“Perfect Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I'm so glad we picked Hiestand House for our long weekend getaway. Pam and Dallas were so gracious and helpful - truly wonderful hosts. Our room was perfect, especially the jacuzzi. The breakfasts were inspired and worth asking for the recipes! We liked the location because it was just remote enough from the heart of the Amish community that we were able to see a lot of landscape while driving into Lancaster. Marietta is also close to other towns that are worthy of exploring. I'm looking forward to returning soon for another relaxing getaway.

Room Tip: The suites offer a good amount of space because of the additional sitting room.
Green Features: They incorporate organcially-grown produce from the property in their meals.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

111 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

We loved this B&B. From the moment we arrived we were welcomed by Pam and Dallas and felt like we were in good hands. The house is beautiful and richly appointed. Our suite was quite roomy and comfortable. The meals were tasty and nicely presented. We liked that the innkeepers were flexible and let us choose our breakfast time each morning. They also gave us great tips for things to do and local gems, even arranging for us to have dinner at an Amish house. The complimentary soft drinks, beverages and home-baked treats were a nice touch. We can't wait to return!

• Stayed July 2013
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We got a very warm welcome from the B&B host.

This is a nice B&B located on a non-descript street, not far from Penn Dutch. It is near the Susquehanna River, but unfortunately you can’t see or really walk to the river from the B&B. If you care about interesting or bucolic surroundings or even just a nice walk, this place might not be for you. You can see trees and mountains in the distance, which is nice. The air quality was excellent, and there’s a quiet overhead fan as well as AC (which we didn’t use). Occasional train whistles did not waken me, but they did my husband.

Our room, the Susquehanna, was small. You’d probably need to get a bigger room if you are staying more than one night.

On the plus: brand new shower with fancy features like shower jets. Very comfortable bed; nice sheets and towels. One of the most comfortable robes I’ve had in a B&B or hotel. The screened window opened in bathroom. However, the windowsill area was not clean.

As stated on the website, there is a quiet dog. I’m not a dog person, but I had no problem with this very sweet and retiring dog.

There is plenty of comfortable common space (two big parlors with lots of seating), plus the dining room for cards or games,

An extensive DVD selection that ranges from the sublime (e.g., Winter’s Bone, Fargo) to the ridiculous (e.g., Tarzan's Revenge, Three Amigos); flat screen TV.

Two nice features: a newspaper (USA Today) at the breakfast table and a plaque with weather for the day.

While this is a nice enough B&B, two aspects of the stay didn't work for the kind of traveller that I am.

The cook did make an effort to be local and creative, but the breakfast to me was not so great. In addition to the egg dish (sort of soggy), there was polenta (bland), scrapple sweetened with pineapple (the sweetness did not work at all for me). Local strawberries and homemade orange muffins were delicious. If you're discerning about food, I think you would be unhappy with this breakfast.

Another problem that made our morning a bit of a drag. We like a cozy B&B as a getaway and –– aside from the requisite polite chit-chat with one’s table companions –– we are not into extensive socializing with fellow guests or the hosts. We were happy to get a tour and historical background of the house upon our arrival. But at breakfast, the hostess plunked herself down at the table with us and asked a string of questions to engage us in conversation. She was oblivious to our clear message (my husband’s short answers and my focus on my plate) that we preferred a private moment.

While some believe that social engagement is de rigueur in a B&B, one expects the hosts to be a little more attuned to social cues and to desires of guests who may not feel that way.

All in all, a nice enough B&B, close to Penn Dutch with very sociable hosts.

Room Tip: Away from train whistle.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Matawan, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I took my husband to this perfect B&B for his birthday. We have stayed in the area previously, but not in a B&B. I searched for the perfect place to stay and I found it.
It was perfect for us.
The bed was so amazingly comfortable,and the room was lovely.
Each morning we were treated to a yummy homemade breakfast.
We definitely would stay here again and can't imagine anyone not liking this place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Pam F, Owner at B.F. Hiestand House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
What a nice thing to say! So glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and Stefan enjoyed his birthday getaway! I hope you are enjoying the sheets!
Hershey, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a special place to stay on our wedding night (Oct 2011- I am very tardy with my review!) before we left for our honeymoon. I searched many local B&B's and couldn't find what we were looking for until I came up B. F. Hiestand. We were able to book the Cannon Cottage, which gave us the privacy and comfort we were looking for. Pam and Dallas were wonderful hosts, we had a very late check-in and they were super accommodating and we had the option to eat our delicious breakfast in the privacy of our cottage which was perfect! The cottage was well appointed and had the most comfortable bed and sheets. The spa shower, tub and heated floor were such a nice treat as well! Pam was so gracious and gave us a special gift when we left, she was so sweet! We had a such wonderful stay at B.F. Hiestand and will always cherish the time that we spent there! If you are looking for a welcoming, inviting and beautiful place to stay while in Lancaster country, this is it!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Pam F, Owner at B.F. Hiestand House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Lindsey thank you for your wonderful review! So glad you were comfortable here and enjoyed your wedding night. I hope you and Steve are well and wish you a lifetime of happiness!
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Old home renovated to be very comfortable by a caring couple. Comfortable bed and bathrooms, great robes. Delicious breakfast. Not handicapped accessible but good if you can do stairs. The town is not notable, but you are near the Amish area and Mt. Joy is fun to walk around and have coffee.

Room Tip: No pool or fitness center - it is a b and b. Good Irish pub in town for dinner.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
lowell, am
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We had a wonderful stay. Staying in the suite we enjoyed the oversized jacuzzi tub and spacious room. Our dog was welcomed and Pam went above and beyond to make sure we were very comfortable and enjoyed our stay. Both Pam and Dallas are super; providing recommendations and accomidating our requests. Breakfasts were delicious, really great quality food and service and fun to talk to other guests as well as the innkeepers. I highly recommend staying here if you are looking to be in the Lancaster/Amish Country area!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to B.F. Hiestand House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!