“Just what I needed!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Olde Fogie Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Marietta
Olde Fogie Farm
106 Stackstown Rd., Marietta, PA 17547   |
Pensacola, Florida, United States
“Just what I needed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

My friend found this B&B and we went specifically so her kids could get the "farm experience." It was wonderful. My mother and I stayed in one room and my friend, her mom, and the kids stayed in another room. The morning chores were the highlight of the trip. We all loved the hands on with the animals. We left the farm during the day and did outings and came back in the evenings. The breakfasts were great and very filling. The "Chicken Coop" bathroom was a little small, but everything was clean and worked. The "Garden Room" had a nice size bathroom, but no kitchen. (We knew in advance from the website, though). Biz and Tom gave us all kinds of suggestions of what to do, where to go, and the best (most scenic) routes to get there. I could not have been happier there and was not ready to leave. I am from Florida and plan to go again.

Room Tip: "Pig Pen"- bath only, no kitchen; "Garden Room"- shower only, no kitchen; "...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

43 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Chesapeake, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

First, a disclaimer: If you are looking for a luxury B&B experience this is not the place for you.

I have a 6 year old boy and a 3 year old girl and this was most definitely the best vacation we have taken. We traveled to PA with my mom and some family friends. Our party stayed in the Chicken Coop (a suite) and the Garden Room. The website clearly states that breakfast is not included in the suites however Mrs. Biz told us that if there was room in the main kitchen she would be happy to have us eat as well. We were able to have breakfast each day (we were there for 3 days). Each breakfast was better than the last. The kids were counting the seconds until 8 am to go and do their farm chores which included bottle feeding a calf, brushing the horse, feeding the cows, horse and pigs, collecting eggs and even oiling the pigs one morning! Ms. Vickie led is through our chores and though she is quiet she was sweet, calm and patient and allowed the kids to do things on their own. My son now plans to be a farmer and my daughter a "farmer princess"! We saw many sights in Amish country during the day and were back at the farm at night to get ready for chores the next morning. Our room was rustic to say the least but very clean and comfortable. Biz and Tom were warm and friendly and by the end of our trip I felt like we had made some great friends. The communal feel of the farm made us feel welcome and we loved spending time with the other guests. My son cried when we left. If you like to get dirty and be outdoors this is the place for you, we are already planning next year's trip!

Room Tip: Hayloft suite has a more modern kitchen and larger bathroom but no shower. Chicken Coop suite has a...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

This is a true farm experience for families and children who love or are curious about animals. Biz and Tom are wonderful hosts, warm and attentive. Biz is a great cook and they will give you the coats off their backs. Marietta is about 20 or so minutes from Lancaster, so I stayed 3 nights and made several day trips. The morning chores were the highlight.. milking a goat, feeding the chickens,goats,cows and Annie the horse was a blast. We also collected eggs from the chickens and fed the baby calf, Elvis, his bottle. I also loved the grounds which offer a playhouse and a swing/slide in treehouse style for children! There is a lovely creek as well. I stayed in the Hayloft suite and slept well. There is a separate bedroom and bath with no shower and a kitchen area which has everything one might want for cooking. The negative reviewer obviously did not check their website out clearly....They clearly state that there is no breakfast for people staying in the suites (as they have a kitchen) Vicki did the chores with us in the morning and was very helpful and informative. They also let you roam the farm ( even inside with the animals) whenever you like. Biz and Tom have had this place for 50 years and run it hosting guests for 24 years... that shows that they love what they do. The cons were few. There was no internet service up in the Hayloft Suite ( but it was never promised) and there are stinkbugs ( harmless little things that do not bite or sting) but they are annoying and it makes it hard to read or have the lights on after dark as they are attracted to the light. After the first night I was fine though because I could read outside where there was a bright light on the porch. From my understanding these lil creatures are only in the hayloft suite. That being said the view is lovely from the Hayloft, you can look out onto the farm and there is enough room to have 4 chairs out there. Bath only was no problem ( it was mentioned on the website) Bathroom was clean and welcoming. OLD radio and TV added to the charm and worked perfectly. I am quite sure all kids will love this place, it is old fashioned farm fun, marbles games, a playhouse,lots of room to run around etc. etc. The price was very reasonable and I enjoyed having my own space to cook. Expect Roosters in the morning, a little dust and
mud, some friendly animals and friendlier people and you've got the ingredients for Olde Fogie Farm.

Room Tip: I liked the Hayloft Suite even with the stinkbugs
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Templeton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

My daughters ages 11 and 9 and I traveled over 900 round trip just to stay at Old Fogie Farm... It was 100% worth it. If you are looking for a kid friendly farm experience that will leave you feeling like you just spent some time at Grandma and Grandpa's house? This is the B&B for you. Very Rustic farm house with two bedrooms without kitchenettes, and two units available with bedrooms, baths and small kitchens. All have country charm and decor.. (Amazing.)... Depending on kids ages...mine are 9 and 11 so they were able to roam freely around the property at the free will... petting goats, chickens, cows, horse, kittens, dogs, turkeys, etc.. collecting eggs, and bottle feeding baby calf in the morning was a high point. Breakfasts made by Biz are sooo Delicious.. and homemade and served up piping hot at family style kitchen table. We felt like we were at home being greeted after a long day and my kids enjoyed Biz and Tom listening so patiently to all their stories about the their day at Hershey Park or Dinner with Amish family Ruth Esh... I can not say enough about how comforting, caring , rustic and wonderful this experience was. If your afraid of getting down and dirty with farm animals, if your afraid of hosts that make you feel like family, or if your afraid of your kids begging you on the way home.. MOM WHEN CAN WE COME BACK.. THAT WAS THE BEST TRIP EVER... then this is not the B& B for you. Kids loved playing capture flag in woods by brook, playing in tree fort and walking the fields while watching Tom plow. Casey and Eli (the doggies) enjoy plenty of attention from guests.. We found the B&B to be conveinently located to many area attractions as well... all in all a great trip.. we can not wait to go back.... Thank you Biz and Tom for being so good to my girls... they truly enjoyed the hugs and kisses...

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

I overpaid for the room and was told my deposit wasn't paid in full. Ibelieved the owners until I got home and looked in my checkbook. The owners also told me we could all have breakfast there even though one of the rooms had a kitchen (we were with a large party that booked 3 rooms.) However upon checkin we found out that we weren't getting breakfast. Then they were very clear about their gratuity sytem. I tip very well when warranted but that was not here. Also, some of the rooms only have bathtubs and no showers so keep that in mind when booking.
The male owner is very unfriendly and told my daughter to leave the dog alone even though the dog was following her. The chores wrere led by an unfriendly, unhappy relative.
The gardens were beautiful and the pond was very well kept but other than that it was not worth the $750 we paid for the weekend.

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Havertown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

We just got back from an overnight stay at Olde Fogie Farm and it was lovely. We have a 4 year old son who loves animals and this was fantastic trip to take if you want to experience a day on a farm. A farm stay is not for everyone. There are smells, roosters at 5am, and the accommodations are not The Ritz Carlton. None of this is a complaint from me - I thought it was all great and part of the experience, but for those who have never stayed on a farm, it's all good to know.

We stayed in the Hayloft room, which has a little kitchen, bathroom, trundle bed off the kitchen/dining area for kids and a main bedroom with queen bed. Lots of toys and crayons/markers for the kids. There is a nice porch that overlooks the beautiful countryside (see my photos for the view.)

The grounds are beautifully manicured. There is a lovely screened in picnic area with BBQ, koi pond with waterfall, an adorable playhouse for the kids, a tree house with slide across the creek. Exploring all the nooks and crannies of this place is a fun activity in itself. Leave your gadgets at home and take advantage of all the property has to offer!

The morning chores were really fun for the kids: milking the goat, feeding the horses and cows, picking eggs from the hen house and feeding the 1-week old baby cow its bottle. Bring your boots or grubby shoes and be open to getting a little messy.

The eggs, picked by the kids that morning, were fabulous. Biz made these amazing granola pancakes that were out of this world. We had seconds, thirds (and fourths for some!) We had dinner at Marco's - hamburgers, fries and drinks for 3 was less than $20, and it was good. They had veggie burgers, which I appreciated being a vegetarian.

My only cons: the bed in the Hayloft is a bit hard, and no shower in the bathroom. We only stayed 1 day so not a big deal. These are minor, so I still give it 5 stars. We will definitely go back and recommend to friends.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Ridgewood, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2010

I stayed at the Olde Fogie's Farm with my husband, my two daughters, 4 and 6, my sister and her hubbie, and their two boys, 3 and 1, and my parents. We all really enjoyed the stay. It was easy to find. We stayed for two nights. The children had a great time helping out with the farm animal chores in the morning. The parents loved the gourmet, bountiful breakfast each day. Tom and Biz are great cooks, great hosts and great farmers. On the first day, we left the farm after breakfast to explore Lancaster County. We went on a amish buggy trip, visited a huge automated dairy farm, celebrated the 250 anniversary of Maytown at their MayDay festival and had dinner at a great local brewery. On the second day, we stayed at the farm until checkout time and the kids and my husband went swimming in the pond, and made great friends with Bubba! I highly recommend this trip if your kids like animals.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to Olde Fogie Farm? Share your experiences!