“Best B & B I have ever stayed at!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Railroad House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Marietta
Railroad House Inn
You added Railroad House Inn to your Saves list
280 West Front St, Marietta, PA 17547   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Marietta B&B and Inns
Central Jersey
“Best B & B I have ever stayed at!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

I had the pleasure of staying at the Railroad House Inn this past weekend. I was in the area for a family event and my sister and I decided to stay here instead of the hotel the event was taking place in. It turned out to be an excellent decision.

We arrived at Railroad House fairly late in the evening - close to 11:00p. The tavern was open and had a few guests/patrons having drinks, watching tv, and talking with each other. My sister and I decided to sit down there and have a drink before going to our rooms for the night. Both of the owners greeted us upon arrival, and one took our bags to our rooms for us while the other went to get us a small snack (just some hard pretzels, but they really hit the spot and went great with our beers!).

Each of our rooms was very nice. The sheets and towels were soft and smelled so fresh and clean. I love the way the rooms are decorated to keep with the style of the building. There is a private bathroom in each of the rooms, which is appreciated (I have stayed in other B & Bs where the bathroom is down the hall from the bedroom and I do not like that at all). I had a great night of rest and was a little sad to have to get out of the comfortable bed once morning came.

Breakfast was out of this world - stuffed french toast and delicious bacon that was cooked just right. We ate in the dining room and had excellent service from our waitress, who made sure our coffee cups were never less than half full.

I was sad to leave Railroad House, but who wouldn't be? The delicious food, the gorgeous rooms and views, as well as the very friendly service from every employee makes it a perfect place to stay. This was actually my fourth time staying over at Railroad House this year (the other times I was on business), and I will continue to do so as a result of the excellent customer service that I have always encountered. Thank you, Railroad House, for making my nights away from home comfortable and enjoyable!

• Stayed October 2009

Families
Solo
Business
central PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

Eric and Tracy were so kind and accommodating. The food was top notch and the atmosphere in the restaurant was enjoyable. Everything was clean and comfortable. We will be back very soon.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
MS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

We encountered the Railroad House Inn on an extended train trip. I had to cancel a previous accomodation in a hurry because I had accidentally misread the train schedule and that particular destination was not available that particular day. We had to find accomodation in a hurry, and the entire staff of the Railroad House Inn was delightfully nice. Although I found it already warm in the room--they had just turned on the baseboard heaters--one of the owners also moved the office heater into our room to accomodate my traveling partner, who is more cold-natured than myself.
One very nice thing about the Railroad House Inn was the feeling of History there. The main building was actually built before railroads, in the canal days, but there is recent history too. If you look close enough you are able to see little touches of the 1970s in the corners and details--the bathroom light fixture, for example, and the black and white picture of Jane Fonda addressing a crowd in the back yard of the Railroad House. So this would be good if you are trying to please those in your family with views that differ from one another, because the older history is even more evident. There is a huge working fireplace in at least one dining room.
The only drawbacks would be the closeness to trains--I love that sound, though--and the little step-down you need to take to get out of the shower. I waited in the room while the other party in my travel group bathed, just as a precaution, although the danger was certainly not great.
The whole building had a very good feel of cleanliness, safety, and solidity. (It smelled very clean, also.) Although there was a separate tv room, I walked down the hall, and stood outside on the balcony (as my hosts had told me I could), and enjoyed the cool crisp night for awhile. You can't do that just anywhere.

Stayed November 2008
Milton, DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

This was our first experience with a B&B and we are now converts! It was a very pleasant and relaxing getaway for us. We chose the Railroad House because of its location in Marietta and we were so please with the accommodations. Our room (#5) had luxurious linens and towels, a comfortable queen-size bed, a small en suite bathroom with shower and a window air conditioner. Just outside our room was a coffee maker for early risers and a mini-fridge stocked with water and soda.
After our friendly hostess greeted us, she gave us a tour of the lovingly restored hotel. It is an amazing property! Staying at the Railroad House was like going back in time. Thick walls of the historic building provide a great sound barrier from any noise that might come from a passing train. The rooms are tastefully decorated with period furniture creating a warm and relaxing atmosphere.
I regret that we did not make dinner reservations since we had made previous plans. When I peeked in the dining room, diners were enjoying delicious looking meals. We did make a trip down to their tavern room on Thursday evening and enjoyed competing in the weekly trivia games while sipping on some Yingling lager.
Being formerly from Lancaster County, we knew there were some places we wanted to visit on our short mini-vacation. Our itinerary included shopping in Columbia at Burning Bridge Antique Market and while in Columbia we had to do the “local” thing and have a meal at Hinkle’s Pharmacy Restaurant (www.hinklespharmacy.com). It may sound strange to want to eat at a pharmacy but Hinkle’s has great local home cooked food such as baked oatmeal, oyster pie or chicken & waffles at very reasonable prices to boot! I also love the items they have for sale in their gift section.
Crossing over the Susquehanna River into York County, we had two places in Wrightsville on our agenda. The John Wright Store (www.jwright.com) located right on the river has a little café but what I like most is bargain hunting the sale items in the gift shop. We left with a cast iron pan to make a gingerbread house (made in USA) and a few other items. I was disappointed to find that they are now having their cast iron items being produced in China. While in Wrightsville the best place to eat looks like a biker bar but it really is a good family restaurant. If you have never had “Broasted Chicken” then have got to go to the Wrightsville Inn (www.wrightsvilleinn.com) and find out why the locals flock here on Friday nights. The moist and flavorful chicken can’t be beat.
Back in Marietta, we parked our car in the spacious parking lot at the Railroad House. A quick nap and we headed back out again, this time on foot. Our destination was Shank’s Tavern (http://shankstavern.com/). On the way, we ducked into Mcleary’s Public House. My daughter had told me she heard good things about Mcleary’s and by the number of people in the joint, I believe she was right. It has been remodeled since the last time we were in the area and I must say they did it right. The locals seem to prefer the back bar and outdoor courtyard but it is all beautiful. We had one drink (the barmaid short changed us so count your money) then we headed on to our main target. Shank’s Tavern is a friendly neighborhood bar that services sushi on Friday nights. The owner, Bob Shank does a great impression of Rod Stewart that always packs the place.
Both Shank’s Tavern and the Railroad House are said to be haunted. Stop in Shank’s and ask Bob about his childhood experience. Our hostess at the Railroad House had a strange encounter while paying bills. And I had something unusual happen during the first night of our stay. I woke about 3:30 in the morning for a bathroom visit and went back to bed. As I lay in bed, I could hear the muffled sound of an approaching train. As the train sound got a little louder, I looked at the clock, it was 3:45 and I remember thinking that was the first train I heard since we went to bed. I heard the chugging of the train and the clear ringing of its bell, it rang several times. It took a few minutes to realize that what I was hearing was a steam locomotive like at the Strasburg Railroad museum. The sound faded. The railroad line passing by the Railroad House only carries modern trains. So what did I hear? A ghost train. I don’t know, but it was a priceless experience.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Taneytown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

We have been staying at the Railroad House since 1997. It has aways been one of our favorite places to stay. The food is great and the rooms are cozy. We haven't been since the most recent renovations, but we can't wait to go back! :)

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
Rockville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2007

My partner & I spent 2 nights at the Railroad House Inn, this past week, and we will, I'm sure, be back.

I'd never been to Marietta, PA, before -had no idea what to expect (other than this Inn is located right along the railroad tracks - hence, the name... "RAILROAD HOUSE INN"). What we found was a quiet, sleepy town, basically untouched by modern buildings. The old 1800's small town is very much as it was a century ago. I understand the Railroad House has had an interesting past, and has (obviously) changed hands many times over the years. It is now (as of 2005) under new management, and the place is just great. You feel like you've literally stepped back in time. It's well-kept, beautifully furnished - everything looks as it should. The grounds are lush - full of plants in bloom.

The dining room serves a varied menu - and the two nights we were there, my partner & I had terrific meals. No third-class restaurant here... This is first-class food, all the way. Service, too, was excellent.

I'd pretty much only been to Bed & Breakfasts in Fort Lauderdale, so was impressed with the REAL breakfast served here (as opposed to the cellophane-wrapped muffins, etc., that the B&Bs in Lauderdale serve). Again, first-class - and delicious.

We stayed in Room #4 - second floor, with it's own balcony, overlooking the train tracks. And, yes - the trains still run on these tracks - so be prepared for that. Now, did the trains bother me? NO WAY!!! In fact, I loved the sound of the trains going by - and was actually amazed at how quickly I got used to that sound, and was able to sleep through that sound of an oncoming train! (The owner was very cute about this, when we spoke on the phone. He said "Remember, this is called 'RAILROAD HOUSE INN' - it is NOT called 'QUIET CREEK INN'...") Also - the house is very, VERY well built, so that much of any outside noise is muted - unlike houses built today, where you can hear a pin drop in your neighbor's home!

So, yes - I'd go back. This is a great place to "escape the rat race" - a great place to curl up with a book (or lover). I loved it.

• Liked — The feeling of visitng an era long gone
  • Disliked — I liked everything about this place - there is nothing "I liked least"
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2004

The food is great! Some of the best seafood and steaks we've had. And the atmosphere is wonderful. Not pretentious, but a very fine dining experience. The bed and breakfast part was another thing. The "Summer Kitchen" was a very cute little cottage type setting. Romantic, and there was a loft that kids would love. It only took 5 minutes to tell that we couldn't stay there. There was a very strong smell there, along with a moldy smell. Our eyes started burning, noses started to clog up, and we had to get out of there. The A/C was a very small window unit, and it was 90 outside. There are other rooms inside the main building, but if remembered correctly, they were very small compared to the rooms we are used to staying in. There are many other places to stay in Amish country- try one.

TheRailroadHouse, New Owners at Railroad House Inn, responded to this review, October 2, 2006
Under New Ownership since October 2005! We invite guests to come and experience the charm of an 1820 country inn on the national historic registry with an outstanding fine dining restaurant, 8 guest rooms with private baths, and a newly re-opened tavern with live music performances.

Been to Railroad House Inn? Share your experiences!