“nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Malvern
Bridgeport, West Virginia
“nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

I reviewed this hotel many, many years ago. It was nice then. Still nice, but is showing its age, could use a few updates, to keep this hotel current.

Check-in was fast and simple.

Room was nice and roomy (double rooms do not have the canopy beds), beds were comfortable. No refrigerators in room (unless you request one). Room service available. Room and bathroom was clean. Bathroom is a little dated but still very clean, shower head has good pressure and lighting in bathroom is good also. Air/Heat worked well.

The staff is always super nice and eager to make your stay comfortable. We had a slow draining shower, we mentioned it to the front desk and they said they would have this taken care of for us. And the next day shower was draining great.

Had great appetizers and drinks in the bar. Didn't eat in the restaurant, as I was here with a private group. We did however have super breakfast buffet each morning.

I would stay here again, if in the area.

Room Tip: Some rooms are very far away from elevator, so if you are concerned about walking, request room clos...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

Should have written this some time ago, but our son's wedding reception was here in September 2013. Block of rooms for family and friends was discounted and furthermore, as we were parents, we received another discount! The rehearsal dinner was held at The Farmhouse at People's Light and The Desmond arranged for transportation to and from the facility for those out of town guests.....great service!
The wedding reception was outstanding and the waitstaff very attentive! We had a wonderful experience :) Some of the guests complimented the staff saying this was one of the best wedding receptions they had ever attended!
Yes, the rooms could use some updating, but they were clean and comfortable. We spent little time in the room with all the other activities that we had that weekend and the out of town guests had no complaints!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

My wife and I just spent 2 nights at the Desmond for a wedding. We wanted to stay where everyone else was staying so we did not shop around for other places. From the time we walked in we were pleasantly impressed. The hotel is obviously a place that is used to handling weddings and conventions. The people at the desk were friendly and very efficient. We got to our room and saw the canopy bed which was a very nice touch. My first, actually. The soaps, coffees and teas in the room were very nice, as well. If traveling to Malvern I would recommend you try the Desmond. This was my first Desmond experience but I would try on in another city without hesitation after staying in Malvern.

Room Tip: One tip suggested to me by some in the party -- choose a higher room for a little quieter hallway af...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

It is a good quality hotel which as some others have said is in need of some updating. The hotel itself is nicely set out but the room, especially the bathroom, was a little dated, it is clean and has everything you could possibly need but the décor is just a little old fashioned, not a problem for me but just a note for those who want a modern chain feel to their rooms.

The Breakfast was lovely, Dinner tasty and the outside bar a great set-up.

Room Tip: A colleague did mention that the bar could be heard from their room but I had no issue.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Lansdale
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

I stayed for a wedding last weekend & was asked for a card to keep on file. I gave my debit card, but was assured that I could pay the next day with a credit card. I now have a charge to both my credit & my debit card, which resulted in a negative balance on my debit card. I spoke to a woman at the front desk to ask her why both cards were charged & she said they put a hold on the debit card & it will be released "in a few days" meanwhile, they have already charged my credit card. When I told her that I was not advised that both cards would end up being charged, she threw in my face that I initialed something upon check in authorizing it. I don't need an attitude from their staff & I already told her that I was not told both cards would be charged. Why would I agree to that? I would NEVER recommend staying at this hotel to anyone. I don't want to be treated that way & no one else should be either. On top of that terrible experience, the hotel was way too expensive for the quality of the room. If I wasn't staying for a wedding, I would have never stayed there in the first place.

• Stayed August 2014
Mike_Chain, General Manager at The Desmond Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

I am sorry for the trouble you experienced with your credit / debit card. I know we were in the process of trying to help you yesterday and became disconnected somehow. Based on your post, we could have been more explanatory upon check-in, your bank actually holds the funds once we use it to hold the room for the evening. Please call my direct line at the hotel, 610-249-2133 and I can work with your bank to immediately release their hold on your card. I will be happy to compensate you for any overdraft fees you may have incurred.

Michael Chain
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I've stayed at the Desmond Hotel a couple of times for business and can say that it is very clean, however, the showers could use some updating as they are not nice and even as well as the decor.

This hotel has a pub which is connected to a huge patio. It is very nice on a warm night. They also have a formal dining room catered by very nice, professional staff. The food was good but a bit on the expensive side and I would like to see some healthy options on the menu. Some items such as the yogurt parfait seems like a healthy choice but the fruit was obviously loaded with sugar.

The front desk staff were not as friendly or happy. This tainted my experience a bit. It is a good choice if you don't have a vehicle as they have a shuttle which will take you within a certain range, however, make sure you book the shuttle when you book your reservation as I tried to book the shuttle when I arrived for the rest of the week and it was already 'booked'. I didn't experience 'going the extra mile' from the front desk staff which was disappointing as this hotel could definitely cater to a more formal audience if it chooses to make a few changes.

Room Tip: I found the rooms on the upper level to be better maintained. The room I had on the first floor had...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for your review. I am sorry you had trouble with the availability of our shuttle. As you may read from other comments, our staff typically receives high marks for going the extra mile for our travelers. I will review your feedback with them, I am sure we could have been a bit more creative to find a way to help you with the shuttle. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel should you need anything further.

Michael Chain
Knoxville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

The last leg of our vacation this year took us to Philadelphia. We wanted to be close to the city but not actually "in" the city. My husband had heard of the Desmond from a collegue who lives in the area so we though that we would check it out. I was a little apprehensive at first because it is not connected with any hotel chain, but that is not an issue at all. I was quite happy to arrive to a lovely small hotel located in a suburban setting. We were given 2 connecting rooms on the first floor. After all the traveling we decided our girls deserved to have a room to themselves and not have to share a bed. My husband and I had a king room. Both rooms were of average size with 4 poster beds and colonial style furniture. The bathroom was average with tub/shower combo and grantite vanity. The hotel has restaurants of it's own from a casual pub to upscale dining. We did not take advantage of these for no other reason than at the end of the vacation we were doing a little less splurging and a little more saving. I read from the hotel's literature that they specialize in meetings and conferences as well as weddings and events. The grounds are really lovely and I wish we had spent more time looking around, but we were in sightseeing mode for Philadelphia and once back at the hotel all we really wanted to do was take a nap!
The beds were very comfortable and the linens and towels were of better quality. The only things that I found could use improvement were minor, but to me, took away from the upscale, full service aire that the hotel seems to want to live up to. The first thing would be that a mini fridge in each room was not included. There is an armoir in each room that would accomodate a small fridge and it would be kept hidden. We had asked about getting on in the room and were told they would bring us one, but it never came. Also, they supply 2 disposable coffee cups at the coffee maker and 2 small, plastic cups in each batthroom. I would have expected to see real "glasses" in a hotel of that calibur. And what was really crazy was that I used one of the coffee cups as a toothbrush holder in the bathroom so housekeeping only replaced the cup that we had used to drink from. I was not given a second replacement coffee cup since I guess I still had one in the room. That seemed a little petty and childish. I would still recommend The Desmond to folks, but at the price I would expect a few more high end touches.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Desmond Hotel? Share your experiences!