“Very nice property” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Malvern
Knoxville
“Very nice property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

The last leg of our vacation this year took us to Philadelphia. We wanted to be close to the city but not actually "in" the city. My husband had heard of the Desmond from a collegue who lives in the area so we though that we would check it out. I was a little apprehensive at first because it is not connected with any hotel chain, but that is not an issue at all. I was quite happy to arrive to a lovely small hotel located in a suburban setting. We were given 2 connecting rooms on the first floor. After all the traveling we decided our girls deserved to have a room to themselves and not have to share a bed. My husband and I had a king room. Both rooms were of average size with 4 poster beds and colonial style furniture. The bathroom was average with tub/shower combo and grantite vanity. The hotel has restaurants of it's own from a casual pub to upscale dining. We did not take advantage of these for no other reason than at the end of the vacation we were doing a little less splurging and a little more saving. I read from the hotel's literature that they specialize in meetings and conferences as well as weddings and events. The grounds are really lovely and I wish we had spent more time looking around, but we were in sightseeing mode for Philadelphia and once back at the hotel all we really wanted to do was take a nap!
The beds were very comfortable and the linens and towels were of better quality. The only things that I found could use improvement were minor, but to me, took away from the upscale, full service aire that the hotel seems to want to live up to. The first thing would be that a mini fridge in each room was not included. There is an armoir in each room that would accomodate a small fridge and it would be kept hidden. We had asked about getting on in the room and were told they would bring us one, but it never came. Also, they supply 2 disposable coffee cups at the coffee maker and 2 small, plastic cups in each batthroom. I would have expected to see real "glasses" in a hotel of that calibur. And what was really crazy was that I used one of the coffee cups as a toothbrush holder in the bathroom so housekeeping only replaced the cup that we had used to drink from. I was not given a second replacement coffee cup since I guess I still had one in the room. That seemed a little petty and childish. I would still recommend The Desmond to folks, but at the price I would expect a few more high end touches.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Raritan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I only require a few thing on my stay at hotels. Clean room, comfortable bed, and hot tub. Room is very clean, bed is serviceable and the hot tub is cold! I asked them to turn up the temperature and no can do. 1.5 out of 3 in my book. I read other reviews and they are an accurate depiction of what to expect. Those other positives mentioned don't matter to me.

• Stayed July 2014
Mike_Chain, General Manager at The Desmond Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

I am sorry our hot tub wasn't hot enough for you. We have been checking the temperature daily and haven't found it below 100 degrees. I am confident, your experienced as described, was an isolated incident. We will keep a close eye on consistently monitoring the temperatures in our pools. I am glad your room was clean and your bed was comfortable, thank you for staying with us.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

It has an old school charm to it, with lots of modern amenities. Great, relaxing beds, the oxeyginating showers we're literally a blast--very soothing. My room had a balcony attached which made it even better on a beautiful Sunday morning. I went out there and completely lost rack of time. Fantastic and inexpensive brunch, particularly for all the options they provide. If you're in the area, it's worth at least one night.

Room Tip: Try for a balcony.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Stayed here for two weeks for business. The staff were all great, however for price my room was very tired. The hotel of going for an old style look, but it's just old. The rooms are dated and dark, you can everyone talking as they walk past your door and every sound from the next room. The bar and restaurant have great room, with friendly staff, but again the restaurant is crying out for an update.
If the management only updated the rooms with modern beds, doors that stopped the sound from the hallways and lighting it would make a big difference.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Mike_Chain, General Manager at The Desmond Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, recognizing our team and for choosing the Desmond. We have a significant renovation planned to begin in the coming months. I am confident you will like and appreciate our improvements. Thank you again for staying with us we hope you will choose us for your next trip to the area.

Latham, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the Desmond. It just needs to be updated. The people were all friendly and the rooms were large enough but a little tender loving care would be ideal right about now. The food was average but the room was clean - no complaints.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank your for your feedback, we begin a property improvement shorty. I am confident you will like our improvements. Thanks for your business and I hope you will return again soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

I enjoyed my stay.
The only problem is to contact you from overseas:
1. No e-mail adress
2. The "contact- me" function doent work
3.Phones are busy
4.No answer to faxes
Very easy to handle issue become a really time consuming matter.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Mike_Chain, General Manager at The Desmond Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your business and your feedback. I am so sorry to hear of your troubles; we have tested all of the features you mentioned and found no issue. Perhaps this was a temporary occurrence for which I am sorry. Please consider trying us again, I am sure you will find the communication during your experience to be first rate.

Scranton, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Visited for a work conference which was also held in the hotel.
Pros: Great Location, Comfortable rooms, friendly staff, Free Wi-Fi.
Cons: Dated décor, slow elevators, touchy thermostats.
Not a terrible stay, not a remarkable one either. Just fine for what I needed.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Mike_Chain, General Manager at The Desmond Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing the Desmond, I will investigate your comments pertaining to your thermostats and the elevator speed. I haven't received any comments about this previously, but we take all of our guest comments seriously and address whatever we can. Please consider choosing us again the next time your travels bring you to Malvern, as we continue to invest in and make improvements to our property.

Michael Chain

Been to The Desmond Hotel? Share your experiences!