“Dining at the Desmond Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

The Desmond Hotel
1 Liberty Blvd., Malvern, PA 19355   |
Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Malvern
Pottstown, Pennsylvania, United States
“Dining at the Desmond Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I wanted to leave a review for a place that my family frequents, the Hunt Room at the Desmond Hotel.

This is my favorite place to dine in Chester County. I’ve tried almost everything on the menu and everything tastes terrific. Great service, great food, great ambience. Also a great hotel to stay at. It is convenient to the PA Turnpike, therefore easily accessible from Philadelphia and points West and East. Can’t say enough about the Desmond.

Signed, Isabelle

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Mike_Chain, General Manager at The Desmond Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments and your review, tell all of your friends! I hope you will return to our restaurants again soon, we just sent out a great offer to our rewards members, check the website for details.

123 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Stayed at the Desmond in Malvern 4 nights and enjoyed every minute. Very nice rooms with super comfy linens and plenty of extra towels in the bathroom. The room was quiet and temperature was easy to adjust to our liking. Loved Fox & Hound pub. The staff was super friendly. The wine and beer list is extensive. The atmosphere quiet and comfortable. The Hunt Room food was delicious. Chef Chris Calhoun and staff prepared beautiful and tasty meals. The hotel location is great and the shuttle was such a nice perk. Will be back in the area and will certainly stay at the Desmond. Can't wait for good weather so we can visit the patio and live entertainment. Would recommend to everyone!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your business and your comments, I will be sure to pass them along to our staff. Hopefully we will see you again soon,

Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Recently stayed at the Desmond - and its a throw back to 1985. Floral wall paper everywhere and the halls have a very 'shinning' feel.

Stayed on the 2nd floor and it appears to be under renovations. Never got a great sense of clean here, but it wasn't necessarily dirty either. Again, my room looked like grandma's would - more floral everything; bed cover, walls, decor.

One thing that was really weird was the lack of drinking water. The beverage concession didn't have any...and there was none left in the room for either purchase or for free. I finally went to the front desk and they worker gave me one and made some comment about them being normally $2, but I could have this one on the house. The whole 'transaction' felt forced and there was no opportunity to get a second one (mind you, this is a 12oz bottle of water - I could easily drink two throughout the course of a night).

If I had any advice for the owner, put some water in the room. I don't mind paying - but make it available. Or put a sign up that water is available at front desk at least. Never seen this before.

The Fox and Hound had pretty good food: had the crab bisque which had a nice spice...also had the crab enchiladas, which when asked if was any good while ordering, the server said 'yes, if you're hungry'. What does that mean? Of course I'm hungry, i'm at a restaurant. Does it mean - this is if your fat and need a bit more? Tip to the servers there: learn how to describe the menu there a bit more. Hey, this is me being critical - they were all very nice people.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us, we really appreciate your business. We are in the middle of improving our decor, thank you for noticing; new carpet, wall-covering, new lighting in the hallways and new soft goods and bathrooms for every guestroom.

I am so sorry about the water, I understand how you feel. We do have a sundry shop at the desk, that I thought was well marked, perhaps we can improve our signage there as well as the vending areas on every floor. Please send me a note when you are planning to return and I will have some cold water waiting.

I will review your other feedback with all appropriate staff, I hope you will join us again when you return to the Malvern / West Chester area. Thanks again.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

I just paid $19 for the brunch buffet and ate almost nothing. I have not one good thing to say....I asked for an egg white omelette and less oil, the chef was unable to manage this and gave me a sloppy white mess of half cooked slop that I didn't even taste, it looked that bad. Potatoes were swimming in grease, grey and half uncooked. I guess half cooked is a theme here, because the bread pudding was also a mess of under cooked bread.
This visit was to check the food out before deciding if this is a candidate for my sons wedding, it's not!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Mike_Chain, General Manager at The Desmond Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am so sorry about your brunch experience, its very unusual that we would receive that kind of feedback. I feel terrible and wish we could have offered some amends on Sunday. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel. I know we are better than we showed you last weekend and while your experience was what it was, I respectively suggest it was exception and not usual. I believe we are an wonderful special event host and if given another chance we would be a great fit for your son's special event. I would be happy to speak directly to you if you were willing to give us another chance.

Green Lane, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

My husband and I have dined frequently at the Hunt Room restaurant over the past few years. We recently dined in the Hunt Room and stayed overnight. The new dinner menu is spectacular. The presentation of each course is contemporary but sophisticated, and all the food is fresh and absolutely delicious. Our favorite entrees were the scallops and duck. The lime risotto is amazing. We stayed in one of the recently upgraded guest rooms. The colors of the room were warm and inviting, and the new bedding has a clean, elegant look. It was an enjoyable evening. We look forward to another visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your business and you positive feedback. I hope you will choose the Desmond when you return to the Malvern / King of Prussia area.

Sicklerville, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed at the Desmond for 1 night to attend a business meeting the next day. Check in was quick around 5:30 pm, as the room was direct billed I only needed to sign and not provide any other information. I had a room on the 4th floor. The room was right next to the elevators, but was quiet.
There was the bed, dresser/Tv stand, desk and sitting chair in the room. There was a space for a refrigerator in the dresser, but there was none. The room had a faint smell of carpet cleaner or similar cleaning product. The television was HD, but there were only 4 or 5 HD channels, the rest were in standard definition. The bed was comfortable and had plenty of pillows. There was no safe in the room.
The bathroom was very small and had a coffee maker and hair dryer. The shower had adequate water pressure and temperature, but the shower head was small and had a small water spray area. The tissues were some of the thinnest and smallest tissues I have encountered.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your business and your feedback. I hope you will choose to return to our property the next time you travel to the Malvern / King of Prussia area. I am sorry that you didn't receive all of the HD Channels, you should have received 8 HD Channels and 44 total Direct TV channels. Please share any preferences upon your return and we would be happy to accommodate your preferences to the best of our ability.

Thanks again for your business.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I went to the Desmond Hotel on a business trip. I arrived in Philadelphia, and it was a 30-45 minute trip from the airport to this hotel. The hotel is nice, very classic. The receptionists were nice. The hotel seems to make a lot of receptions and weddings, which is good for people who stay there for the event, but not so good for people who are staying there for other things. There was a wedding when I staid there, fortunately the event did not go up until very late with loud music.

The room is nice. However there was no safe to put things, which I had already been used to in other hotels. Bed was comfortable. The hotel is surrounded by many trees so its nice. Like being in the middle of the woods.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Desmond and for your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay, when you return, we can provide you with a safe or a safety deposit box should you feel the need.

Our entire staff appreciates your business and we hope you will choose to stay with us again.

Sincerely.

Michael Chain

Been to The Desmond Hotel? Share your experiences!