“One of the worst lunches I've had in years” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #47 of 62 Restaurants in Malvern
Cuisines: American
Limerick, Pennsylvania
“One of the worst lunches I've had in years”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

I made the mistake for voting for this restaurant for a holiday lunch with coworkers because I was under the impression they knew how to prepare vegetarian food. I was mistaken.

I ordered a grilled vegetarian sub with pesto dipping sauce. Sounds good, right? Here's what I was served: cold oily salad, with several pieces of lettuce that were so old they were turning to juice, was placed atop an opened, generic grinder roll. There were two thin slices of whitish-pink tomato in the salad and a few pieces of red onion. I think the menu said something about asparagus, but there was none. Atop this was a slice of cheese, which had been melted somehow. I say "somehow" because the cold salad and cold roll beneath it can't possibly have been anywhere near a broiler or grill, the restaurant's name notwithstanding. The pesto dipping sauce was refrigerator cold, extremely salty, and had an off taste to it. It had no real basil taste to it at all, but instead tasted like salad dressing past its expiration date.

Some of the other reviews on this site suggest The King Street Grille was once a good restaurant. Perhaps that would explain the waitress's otherwise inexplicable question when she retrieved my plate: "Isn't that wonderful?" I was so taken aback I didn't know what to say. Could she have possibly eaten what I had just been served--and most of which was still on my plate? (I'm still scratching my head over that one.)

For a side dish, I ordered onion rings. They were overdone, nearly burnt, and had the bad aftertaste and dirty color that are sure signs that the deep fryer's oil was overdue for a change.

Unfortunately, the food of most of my companions looked no better. You know you're in a bad restaurant when all the dishes brought to the table have a gray cast to them.

The decor: a hodgepodge of unrelated objects, such as a Chinese print of flowers that would have been appropriate for an Asian restaurant and a photo of Paris that would have been an appropriate for a restaurant... that knew how to prepare food. It really looked like someone had gone to Odd Lots to furnish their basement.

The service was fair. No particular complaints there (just a little wonder at my waitress's odd enthusiasm for lousy food).

• Visited December 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Malvern, Pennsylvania
“Over worked wait staff and ceiling panel fell down”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

There is no hostess. Three waitress are expected to seat you, clean tables, take orders, refill coffee, deliver food, and work the cash register. As we ate there were about twenty people waiting and the resturante was half full. Waitresses had no time to clean tables and everything seemed dirty and uncared for. When the ceiling panel fell and water dripped onto the floor, staff did not want to deal with it. Panel was eventually picked up and dirty pan put on the floor to catch the water. Used to be a wonderful place.

• Visited October 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Peyton, Colorado
“What's happening to the Grille?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

For a long long time the Grille has been a favorite place for our family. The waitresses are so friendly and even know us by name. In the past year and a half or so, however, the attention seems to have come off the customers and is focused on one new endeavor or another that the owner seems to be into. The waitresses are still wonderful and very friendly whenever we go in there. But things have changed. They seem to have a hard time keeping their dishes and utensils clean. We frequently get burnt potatoes and we are seeing more and more that their grill doesn't seem to be getting the cleaning it needs. I know during the day the grill gets use, but there have been time we were one of the first ones in there and still it seems like they were cooking on a dirty grill. And it seems like they have no air conditioner anymore. Last year it was tolerable, but this past summer it has been so intolerably hot in there we almost couldn't stand it. I saw the thermostat at one point and it said 82, but with the hot food, boiling hot plates and stifling air, it's awful sitting in there especially during the summer. We are looking for a new place and probably won't be going there anymore. They need to invest in some doors for the kitchen or something. In fact, they need a makeover. The decor is not good. And I would think after all this time, they could afford a new ceiling. The stained panels are pretty gross. We have always loved the Grille, but the owner seems to have lost interest in his customers and we have lost interest in going there and sweating our way through a meal. It's a shame, we love the food and the waitresses, but it's time to move on.

• Visited October 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Berwyn, Pennsylvania
“Best Local & family restaurant ever!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

My husband & I just moved into the area from the west coast. Our neighbors recommended the Grille to us because we have 2 children & I am a vegetarian. The menu is huge with anything for anyone who is hungry. There's a kids menu & the staff treated our kids as if they were very important.The vevegatian selsctions are vast & my husband ordered a massive bowl of asian soup called U-dong. It was great.We'll be back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pennsylvania
“Varied menu, well-prepared. Courteous staff. Reasonable prices.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

We've been visiting the King Street Grille at least twice a month for many years. The menu has a comfortable variety of selections, the food is always well-prepared. The portions are generous, especially omelettes and pancakes. The staff are cordial and do a good job of balancing the fluctuations in customer traffic, taking and delivering orders, set-up and clean-up, and checkout. The seating is comfortable, whether booth or table.

As is true of most restaurants, there are rush times and quieter times.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere