“Not what it used to be” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #34 of 61 Restaurants in Malvern
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are an America Restaurant serving steaks, seafood, burgers, salads and chicken dishes. Private room and catering available, see our website for details. Outside dining. Live entertainment Wed.-Sat.
Reading, Pennsylvania
“Not what it used to be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Lunch with a friend on a Tuesday at 1 PM. First thing I noticed was the lack of patrons over what used to be a thriving lunch crowd a few years back. (maybe new mgmt?). Several of the tables were not bussed so we were directed to back by the doorway to kitchen, etc. I asked to wait while another table elsewhere was cleared (only one other table had patrons in the entire section). We ordered the baked eggplant. When asked what came with the cassarole (bread encrusted & had cheese in it), the waitress said nothing else, but we could have rolls if we wanted. We did order them. Rolls were good, but I feel a small side garden salad would have justified the price somewhat. Cassarole dish was small for the 10 bucks we paid but the unfortunate part was it was fairly dry with very little marinara (which would have helped). Overall, it had the appearance and taste of having been frozen and simply heated. May go again, perhaps try a salad, but menu is a bit pricey for what you get.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Amherst
“Delightful Family Reunion at Baxter's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We gathered our Italian family together for a reunion and had our big dinner at Baxter's. They did a great job at adjusting the dinner for our needs and the food was great. The catering chef Juang went above and beyond to meet our needs . . . and even took the kids behind the scene to the ice cream bar. He did it with such grace and cheer. Our wait staff Lisa and Donna were on the spot to take care of our needs and were wonderful.Our family wanted to take all three of these Baxter employees home with us!!! Thank you all so very much for making all 40 family members of this Italian family happy with the food, the service and the great customer service you extented to us. Anytime I'm in the area, I'm guarantee I'll be back to visit Baxter's!!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Madison, AL
“Fajitas”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Split steak fajitas for two. Quick service and enjoyable food, though not out of the ordinary. Conveniently located to hotel complex across the street.

Visited June 2013
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
“Attentive Service and Good Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Met a friend for dinner and had an enjoyable time catching up together. Our server was attentive without making us feel rushed. Food was good. I had a cheesesteak & fries. Nice overall atmosphere.

Visited May 2013
USA
“Good Food, Great Service - But Mexican? What are you thinking of?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I've enjoyed this restaurant for some time. The staff is outstanding, the food, thanks to the preponderance of Vietnamese kitchen staff has been consistently very good.

The ownership however seems to be a different matter all together. On numerous occasions I've witnessed his cranky, surly and tempermental behavior and am amazed by his conduct, expecially in front of customers. This restaurant does, or did, a good business until recently when with little or no notice was given that it was closed for "Renovations".

More than a surprise it was bizarre because the renovations are centered around a change in menu, from classic and traditional dishes (i.e., shepards pie, fish, steaks, burgers, snapper soup, salads, cheesesteaks, open faced turkey, roast beef, daily soups and quiche selection) to Mexican fare.

I don't know about anyone else but the last thing I want to eat is spicy Mexican food for lunch. It might make a lot of sense if there were a large hispanic customer base in the surrounding area but that isn't the situation. This is a Great Valley office location with a high percentage of professionals, none of which I've heard express a desire for Mexican fare or for that matter speak Spanish.

Stranger still is that this restaurant closed for renovations with less than one weeks notice and even then it was a small printed notice on the door (really small font) that would be overlooked as most people wouldn't be reading anything printed in such small letters. The notice explained that this restaurant would be closing for at least three weeks (not for a finite period of time) as they were renovating and introducing a new menu.

How many restaurant operations have you seen shut down for a range of time (not a specified start to finish) and suggest that you try them afterward? Me? None. Now ther are well past the targeted re-opening date and their voice mail indicates that they still don't know when they will re-open, although it does suggest you check back soon.

I can't help but wonder what the staff has been doing during this hiatus. Will they return or will they have been forced to find employment elsewhere? In my opinion this is a move by management to replace higher paid employees while introducing lower cost fare. I don't know when or if this restaurant will re-open but I doubt it will resemble its former self.

In the meantime I've found other choices that are as good or better than Baxters that I wasn't aware of simply because I was forced to do so. McKenzies Brew house, about 3 minutes away, is substantially better, more comfortable and upscale than the prior Baxters was at roughly the same cost. I don't own or run a restaurant but I do have a business. Customer service is king. That's what made Baxter's great - the staff and the kitchen, especially the kitchen in this instance.

Change one or both and you likely have a bad outcome for the owner. Time will tell but I doubt Baxter's will be the same and possibly may soon be history.

• Visited January 2013