“Pricey, but creative” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Macungie,PA
“Pricey, but creative”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I have eaten dinner here twice, my husband has had business dinners here as well. Over the holidays, we brought our sons and were given a table that needed to be available for call ahead seating in 75 minutes. We knew we could not linger, and that was fine. I was not thrilled with the pizza I ordered, but it was as described. The striped bass and veal ordered by two of my sons were good, according to them. We love the wine list. They have a nice Orvieto, and creative mixed drinks.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Almost perfect dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Our dinner was pretty good. We had a brick oven pizza that was great one of the best i ever had. My wife had bowtie pasta with crab and my mom had raviolos which both shere good. I had a ceasur salad with chicken, chicken was really dry and salad dressing which was probally homemade was lacking in flavor.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Carterville, Illinois
“great pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

try the pizza you won't be disappointed. thin crust, fresh basil, my husband had a steak and said it was very good.

Visited November 2012
New York City, New York
“Plastic in food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My friends and I went to Gio's after reading the other reviews on Tripadvisor. We arrived for dinner around 5 pm and were seated immediately. We order the eggplant dish for appetizers and the pizza and vegetarian lasagna for our entrees. The eggplant dish came in a timely manner but the drinks we ordered didn't come on time. Our waitress in fact forgot two of our drinks. This is where it all went downhill. As we were eating my wife pulled something out of her mouth. It was a piece of plastic!! We all were so shocked and in disbelief that there would be plastic in our food! As we were talking amongst each other, the chef whose name was Tony, while standing behind his counter, took his pointer finger and "summoned" my wife to him. The man didn't have the professionalism to go to her even when sensing a problem. My wife, still in disbelief, went up to him where he merely asked what the problem was. Not offering an explanation, all he cared was what were were upset about. Then came the most rude women ever, Gio, the owner of the restaurant. She didnt say sorry, she didn't care. All she said was that they individually wrap their lasagna in plastic. I cook, I know lasagna is wrapped in plastic when you freeze it, but how in the world was there plastic in between? How is this possible? We brought it to her attention about how rude she was and all she could say was " I took it off your bill, what else do you want me to do?"
I want you to care that you have plastic in between your slice of lasagna. I want you too take some sort of responsibility for the food served at you establishment. I want you to be apologetic when you screw up. Thats what I want you to do.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Douglassville, Pennsylvania
“Excellent or average”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

As a single guy that loves to eat at nicer restaurants I frequented GIO Italian Grill on a near weekly basis for over a year. I found their food to be either tremendous or simply ok. I believe the correlation is directly related to the owner chef (Tony DiMaio) being in the kitchen. When Tony is cooking the food is top notch. I particularly recommend the Penne Vodka which is very reasonably priced and excellent. When Tony is not in the kitchen, such as last night when I took 4 people to dinner the food is at best mediocre. I suggest that if you are making reservation that you ask if Tony is cooking, if he is you will surely not be disappointed. If he is not, you may want to try another establishment.

• Visited October 2012