“Beautiful inn” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 1740 House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lumberville
1740 House
You added 1740 House to your Saves list
3690 River Road, Lumberville, PA 18933   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Lumberville B&B and Inns
Piscataway, New Jersey
“Beautiful inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

The 1740 House is a sister property of Holly Hodge estate, where my niece was married on Aug 30, 2013. My bff and I had taken a ride to check it out ahead of time, and we both fell in love with it right away, so I knew my family was in for a delightful evening. We booked the largest available suite, #6, to accomodate three of us. We could have easily had several more people! The panaramic views of the Delaware are spectacular. The furnishings were teriffic; buttery soft leather sofa and love seat, a huge king size bed, seating arrangements comfortably placed, access to the balcony......and all this on top of a fabulous breakfast buffet. Richard is the sweetest man; even loaning cufflinks to my son-in-law for the wedding! Friendly staff, great location, beautiful rooms.....highly recommended!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for all of the compliments of the 1740 House and the staff. We all love creating the "WOW" in every one of our guest's stays.

Innkeeper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

This is a wonderful B&B! We stayed overnight for a wedding and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Our room was clean and had a great view. They offered shuttle service to and from the wedding. My husband even forgot his cuff links for the wedding and the innkeeper lent him his for the night. They really went above and beyond for us. This is a great place to stay!

• Stayed August 2013
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for the kind words and compliments. Trish and the housekeeping team truly appreciate that their efforts to have a clean inn are acknowledge. The inn life does not extend the need for cuff links too many times so I enjoy when I can assist someone with a lending hand.

Please think of us the next time you just want to get way!!!!

Richard L.
Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our 20th anniversary at the 1740 house on Aug. 15. The property and service were exceptional. The view from our room was breathtaking, and the room itself was picture perfect. As for the breakfast; WOW? The cook made an item called "Country Bake", a mix of eggs, potatoes, etc. Lets put it this way, if I stayed there a week, I would have to buy new clothes. First rate experience.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank You for the kind words and compliments. Tammy (breakfast) and the whole staff have fun making the 1740 House the perfect place to stay and celebrate events like Anniversaries. Hope we see you for many more!!!!

nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

We stayed at the 1740 house years ago and many of my friends have frequented many times since. We all just love it. Richard , his wife and staff could not have been more helpful. Any thing we asked for they exceeded our requests. View was wonderdul. Six of us took 3 rooms on the second floor. Richard made sure every thing we needed was possible. And the food at breakfast was FANTASTIC.. Rooms were wonderful and now they have a bar menu which is to die for. we stayed there for fabulous homemade hor dourves and ended up skipping dinner. Trish (the cook that nite) made homemade cookies for us and bag themin little bags for our bedtime snack. Who could ask for more than to come back to this romantic accommodating place. Thank u all at 1740 house - Sharon D

Room Tip: 2nd floor has a wonderful view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful compliments. The entire staff, Tammy-my wife and Breakfast, Kim- Assistant Innkeeper, Trish- Housekeeping and Evening Tapas , Kate, Heidi and Tay-Housekeeping and Wendy and Debbie- Bartenders, all love the making the 1740 House that perfect place to be with friends.

I hope your group will return soon for another great weekend!

Timonium, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Our stay during a recent wedding had some good moments however overall the inn has too many flaws to rate it over 2 stars. Our visit started out very well,we arrived early and we were allowed to check in early. We spent a few hours sitting on the porch overlooking the water. The trouble didnt start until it was time for bed. The mattress in room 19 is so bad we all agreed it would have more comfortable to sleep in the car. My daughter had the pull out couch when she sat on the mattress her butt hit the floor. Although the bathroom appeared to be clean the carpet was so dingy I was hesitant to walk barefoot. After a terrible night of debating wether or not I should try to sleep in the car,we headed to breakfast. The breakfast was so/so however they only serve it from 8:30-9:30 on the weekends. They only replenished a few items during the hour,so if you plan on eating breakfast after 9:00, good luck! Now onto the billing nightmare. I went into the office the day we checked in and asked if the balance of the room could be put on another card,I was told that would not be a problem,the inn keeper told me we could handle it at time of checkout. When we went to settle up we found out the inn keeper had credited my debit card for the deposit I had already paid. Instead of just charging my husband's card for the balance he charged the card for the entire amount. The problem with that was my husband didn't have enough in that account for the entire amount. The inn keeper was understanding and waited until Monday for us to transfer funds into that account. I do want to mention that I thought all of the employees I encountered were friendly I have no complaints in that area. My mom fell down the stairs leading to the patio,several staff members came to her aid, they may have just been concerned about a law suit but they seemed to genuinely care about her well being.

Room Tip: Avoid room 19 and room 5(that rooms smells like cat per)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
The ownership and staff work very hard to exceed the expectations of every guest. When a post is received with concerns, we review the comments and compare them to other guest comments to see where the staff can improve.

On behalf of the 1740 House, we thank you for sharing your opinion.

Regards
Huntington, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed at 1740 House last night for a friend's wedding at their sister property, Holly Hedge. You couldn't ask for a more idyllic and scenic location. The room we stayed in (#9) was quite large, with a king sized bed and (just like every room) a beautiful view of the river. The staff was courteous and helpful, poured some excellent drinks at the pub/bar, and put out an excellent breakfast (a potato/egg/cheese hash was particularly delicious). We would definitely come back again - and we are very much hotel snobs (i.e. prefer Ritz, Four Seasons, etc.).

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms in the south wing are likely the quietest.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Richard L, innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for sharing your stay at the 1740 House on Tripadvisor. I love when guest compliment room #9, It is my favorite room (but that is suppose to be a secret). All of the rooms offer a great view and each decorated a little different. We have guest that just come back for the breakfast. I hope you will become one of them.

Hazlet, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed at the 1740 house for one night celebrating our "Babymoon". Living on the Jersey Shore, New Hope is the closest getaway for us, and we visit there often. Usually we stay right in town, but once I found the 1740 House, I knew it was the perfect location. Just a couple of miles outside of New Hope, it's RIGHT on the Delaware River, in a relatively secluded area. The rooms are gorgeous, very clean, and beautifully decorated in the country style. The breakfast that came with the room was DELICIOUS. Very creative, an different - not your basic bacon and eggs and pancakes.... Best of all it was an all you can eat buffet style. The innkeeper was kind enough to recommend the Black Bass Hotel Restaurant, literally steps away, right up the road. Don't miss it... we had an amazing meal! Not only do I recommend the 1740 House, I CAN'T wait to return there myself! My husband and I frequent many Bed and Breakfasts and Inns and this is by far, one of my favorite!!

Room Tip: All rooms have a river view!! I love how you can see each and every room on their website and pick y...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank for sharing your stay on Tripadvisor. You described the inn exactly the way the staff and ownership envision our guest experience feeling when they have to say goodbye.

Come back soon!!

Richard L.
Innkeeper

Been to 1740 House? Share your experiences!