“Wonderful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 1740 House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lumberville
1740 House
You added 1740 House to your Saves list
3690 River Road, Lumberville, PA 18933   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Lumberville B&B and Inns
Old Bridge, New Jersey
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Spent a week end with family and friends enjoyed their delicious meals their indoor fireplace and outdoor fire over looking the river and canal, laid back atmosphere .They are just up river from Lambert ville and New hope and all that kind of shopping that I like and above all else is their friendly and helpful attitude.

Room Tip: They all have great views our room had a fireplace king size bed could not have expected more !
Rlobach, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. It will soon be time to put the outdoor fire pits away as the weather gets warmer and enjoy the Delaware River shoreline as it gets green. Would love to share another season with your group. Summer and Fall are a great time to return.

Innkeeper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

After working for Westin Hotels I find the level of my customer service expectations to be much higher then most establishments can meet. The 1740 House has not only met my expectations, but it has exceeded them. Soon as I walked through the door I was greeted by the Inn Keeper. Richard expressed how the staff of the 1740 house were there to make my experience memorable and did they ever. The breakfast was unique in its flavor combinations while staying classic in it's ingredients, the work of a true culinary wizard. The housekeeping staff was prompt in response to any and all requests and also offered more then once to help with baggage to and from my car. The internal decor and exterior layout of the property enhanced my experience all the while hugging the banks of The Delaware River, reminding me of easier times growing up when I would run bird dogs through the fields of my grandfather's Pennsylvania farm. I can not give The 1740 House enough Stars. "A MUST!"

Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
The beautiful scenic surroundings of the 1740 House provide an exceptional palate to serve our guests in a fun and loving way. Through compliments like the ones you shared here on TripAdvisor, it is great to know we got it right. We all look forward to seeing you again soon.

P.S. Remember to request Blueberry French Toast when making your reservation.

Franklin, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

After staying at the 1740 House last winter, we chose to have our wedding guests stay here for our wedding this past weekend. It was a beautiful weekend - snowfalls on Friday and a beautiful and warm day on Saturday. All our guests remarked at what a wonderful time they had and said this was the best wedding ever. The food was outstanding, and the staff went above and beyond for us at every opportunity. The innkeeper, Richard, and his wife, Theresa were very accommodating and sweet as could be. We had exactly the rustic and cozy atmosphere we were looking for. The Grand Suite was large enough to host 25 people for a Friday reception, and provided amazing views and a large outdoor deck with cute furniture. We held an after-party for about 40 people with desserts inside and a firepit with s'mores outside. We had some friends bring guitars and had a blast just singing songs, eating the wonderful food, and lounging in the living area. I would recommend the 1740 House to anyone looking for a relaxing getaway or a charming, rustic wedding.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice, although we especially loved 6, 18, 7, 23, 18, and 2.
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for allowing us to be host to your wedding guests overnight needs.

The group was a true pleasure to host. I will be certain to pass all of the compliments on to the staff. The staff had a great time being of service and the sing-a-longs by the firepit were contagious. (We caught ourselves singing too!) We hope to see you next year for your first anniversary.

P.S. Bring the guitars, I will have the firepits set up for the second set.
Keansburg, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I recently visited the 1740 House for my best friends wedding. I have never had such a wonderful experience. The food there was outstanding and the staff was friendlier than I could imagine. The staff was very accomadating to all of our needs, the fires never went dull and the smiles never vanished, If you are looking for a romantic weekend getaway with outstanding food, wonderful staff and views that take your breath away then this is the place to go.

Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank You for sharing your experience at the 1740 House. The entire staff loves hearing that we contibuted to a wedding groups wonderful experience. I heard many of the attendees say that they would love to come back. Hope we get to see you with them soon!!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

What a wonderful B&B! The room was beautifully decorated with a lovely view of the river. The staff was attentive and helpful; making our staff very enjoyable. Breakfast was delightful and staff fulfilled our requests with pleasure. We would recommended the 1740 house to all!

Stayed February 2013
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for the sharing your visit on TripAdvisor. The inn's staff always appreciates hearing that our guest enjoyed their stay with us. Come back soon the inn is even more beautiful in the spring!
Toms River, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We had a family wedding here from a Friday to Sunday. I stayed in suite 19, first floor. The room was spacious and clean except the carpet looked like it needed a good deep wash. The king bed was extremely uncomfortable, the only complaint about the room. The place is right on the river, with beautiful views. Since it was all family staying there, I got to go inside many of the rooms. They all seemed very nice. Our Friday night event was held in the Grand room - its a huge room, with a huge outdoor private deck and awesome views. At night we were able to sit around the fire pit outside and make smores or go inside to the common room where a nice fire was burning too. The workers were ok, the main owner guy wasnt that friendly. I think he seemed annoyed because we had so many people there all over the place. But everything was really nice and the breakfast on both mornings was good. Lots to choose from and a nice room to eat in. it was a 10 minute drive into new hope which was nice.

Room Tip: suites are much bigger and the Grand room was awesome
Richard L, Innkeeper at 1740 House, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for sharing your visit to the 1740 House. Room 19 is the second largest room at the inn and is frequently requested by repeat guests. We welcome all comments regarding our guests experience and will look into how to improve on your concerns.

Many of the other wedding guests stated they would be returning again to enjoy the scenic area. I hope you will join them.

Nanuet, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed at the 1740 house for a wedding being held at their sister property. I booked my room with a nice gentleman who gave me confirmation number, room #14 (king bed), and the deposit amount charged to my credit card. Upon check-in, I was told they did not have my reservation. Somehow I was given a confirmation # with only 4 digits although they said all confirmation numbers have 6 digits since last year. After searching the computer for almost 30 minutes they finally agreed to give us a room. The room was very small with a full sized bed (listed as a queen) the only lighting was 2 small bedside lamps, the bathroom was tiny and the water temperature while showering alternated between scalding and freezing no matter what the setting. Instead of a closet there was a rack to hang our clothes and although the view was beautiful, we could not enjoy it due to the amount of people celebrating in the bridal suite we shared the small balcony with. This room was 1/2 the size of the other rooms and cost the same. I then learned that the couple who booked the room we got insisted on being moved to another room due to the noise level from the bridal suite. They were moved to a suite at no extra charge. When I brought this to the attention of the innkeepers, I was told in a nasty tone that because they had arrived 30 minutes earlier they were given the room. We had 5 couples who knew our room had been booked almost a week before theirs (including the one who made the switch), but instead of offering us a discounted rate, it was insinuated that I had lied about having a reservation. It turns out we were not the only one's who had a problem. One couple had a room as disgraceful as ours, had no heat until 12:30 am, no soap and the same problem with the shower. Two families with 3 people were each given a room with 1 bed instead of the 2 beds they requested. Our breakfast experience was good, however another family member who asked when a hot item would be replenished was told they were not making any more because the buffet was closing in 15 minutes. From our experience the owners have no interest in anything but taking advantage of people who have no other options and certainly made their money off of our large family. I would never again stay on a property owned by these people. the 8 hours of driving back and forth would have been preferable to our stay.

Room Tip: make sure you have a valid confirmation number and the names, dates and times of who took the reserv...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Rlobach, Manager at 1740 House, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
The staff of The 1740 House tries its best to accommodate the needs and requests of every guest.

Mistakes do occur, and if a guest arrives and we determine that a mistake has been made on the part of our staff, I personally see that the concern is resolved to the satisfaction of the guest.

At time of reservation we provide a confirmation by email of all information, including a copy of the registration and deposit paid. In this particular case, neither the inn staff or the guest could produce records indicating a reservation had been made and a deposit paid. I have continued to research for that record; even in today's high-tech world, it is possible to lose information. With that said, it is not possible to refund a deposit without record of a deposit ever paid.

Every room at The 1740 House is different in size and decor, with the view of the Delaware River helping to provide the charm they all share. The entire inn has an exceptional level of quaintness to it, making the overall experience a memorable one.

As the innkeeper I attend to all facets of the inn's daily care, which includes the check-in, breakfast, and check-out periods. I am available 24/7, in person and by cell phone, to receive requests and resolve concerns. I accepted compliments from other guests who were a part of your wedding group, many of them indicating they would be returning for another stay.

Should you or the inn staff be able to produce the records of a reservation and deposit, I would look forward to making the financial corrections as part of satisfying your concerns.

Yours in Hospitality,
Richard Lobach
Innkeeper

Been to 1740 House? Share your experiences!