“Surprise” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lock Haven
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

The winds of fate may one day blow you into Lock Haven, PA. You cannot question karma, you simply go with the flow. We recently found ourselves spending a Saturday night in this college town. Fine dining? Negative. Cool local attractions? Not unless you count the Woolrich outlet. We were there for a field hockey tournament, and had to arrive the night prior. The Fairfiled Inn was our chosen "crash pad". My expectations were low, befitting my general view on these types of cookie cutter, budget business traveller properties. But from the moment we arrived, my expectations were challenged. The desk agent (I wish I remembered his name) was helpful, smiling, professional and welcoming. He would not have been out of place at a 5 star hotel in a major city. We overheard him dealing with an unhappy caller - he as calm, courteous and offered a workable solution. I wish him luck in his futre endeavours - probably not at Fairfield/Marriott.

The hotel itself was surprisingly well-appointed. The lobby was clean, bright and comfortable. The room was modern, clean, flat-screen TV, free WiFi. Good-sized bathroom, better-than-basic-shower head, higher-end amenities. Even though our room was next to the elevator, the room as quiet and properly climate-controlled.

I won't be seeking out Fairfield Inns for future stays (on principle, I wold rather stay at a local inn or B&B), but should you find yourself in Lock Haven, you will have a good night's sleep and a decent cup of coffee at the Fairfield Inn.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Fairfield Team L, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Lock Haven, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear PurposefulTravel,

We are so glad that we were able to turnaround your initial expectations of our property. Although national chains are not for everyone and I can certainly understand that, we are happy that you were comfortable in your room, our amenities exceeded your expectations and our staff welcomed you into our "home". LHU hosts many field hockey tournaments and hopefully we will have an opportunity to accomodate you in the future. Thank for your review we appreciate you taking the time to let other potential guests know what we have to offer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
BETHESDA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

We were headed to a sports event at Lock Haven State. Wary of the motels at the I-80 interchange (which tend to be old and worn), we thought we'd check out the new kid on the block, Marriott's limited service Fairfield Inn, a Marriott entry we had not experienced before. This property was new in 2009.
I only know one Fairfield Inn -- this one -- but I think if you know one, you know them all. A few extra points for the work of the corporate interior design people. A point off for the mattress. A point off for our room's slight sense of odor. Perhaps it hadn't been used in a while (1st fl), perhaps some water had sat in the bathroom or been in the carpet.
The location isn't quite standard. Not on the state highway, but behind the McDonald's on the state highway. The parcel of land seems to be a land re-use project, perhaps some subsidy dollars to get it there. (The McDonald's added a strange bit of ambience: the sound of the garbage truck picking up its trash too early in the morning.)
Breakfast was at least one notch above expectations: Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits available for microwaving, (frozen) blueberries to put on top of the make-your-own waffles.
Closest motel to Lock Haven State; easily walkable if need be.
If you see the Halliburton and other natural gas-related trucks in the parking lot, you'll see both the reason for building a new motel in Lock Haven as well as the reason you're paying prices that seem steep for this part of the world.

Room Tip: Getting a room on the side of the hotel NOT on the McDonald's/Bellefonte Ave/State 150 side migh...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Dear FormerFallser,

We greatly appreciate you traveling off the interstate to stay with us and see what we had to offer. We appreciate both your positive and negative feedback and the items such as the slight odor in the room that we can address, I can guarentee you that we do look into those issues and make a great effort to keep our rooms fresh and clean for all of our guests. Although we are not in a standard location we try to do our best with what we have to work with, I do however apologize for the noise you heard from McDonalds. We hope that in the future you will be with us again while attending a sporting event at LHU!
Ithaca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

we were in town for a funeral (my grandmother 104) so reservations were at the last minute Rachel (the inn manager) took care of everything for us because we did not know how many rooms we needed and went over what we had guessed at the rooms were perfect clean comfortable quiet she allowed us to use the area where breakfast is served to "hangout" it has a nice tv and fire place the rest of the staff was also very helpful and polite but i would not expect anything less being in central pa.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Dear daweaz,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. It was our pleasure to help you and your family through a tough time when the last thing you needed to worry about were your hotel rooms. Your family was a delight the enitre length of your stay and we were happy to be here and provide the accomodations you needed. Thank you again!
Buckhannon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

Stayed here for almost 2 weeks on business. My king bed room was a little small but overall a very nice place to stay. Will stay here again when working in the area.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

Just stayed here 3 nights (also 3 nights about a year ago) on business. Hasn't changed much. Decent, quiet and clean. Nothing extraordinary, except maybe the breakfast lady who went out of her way to make sure you were satisfied. Wish the bath towels were thicker. Our corporate rate was about $135, which seems a bit high for the area, but when I mentioned I was visiting a local business the rate went to $102. Be sure to ask.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Avis, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

This hotel is very nice for the area. The room and bathroom were clean and smelled nice. The beds and pillows were comfortable. However, for the price my friend and I payed ($130ish/day) I expected a few more amenities that I have had at similar hotels. First, there was fridge but no microwave; second, the bathroom did not have an exhaust to remove the steam. Needless to say THAT was very annoying' and third, the temperature controls were part of the thermostat, not on the actual air/heat unit, and it responded poorly when we tried to adjust it.

Lastly, I want to say that I did NOT sample the complimentary breakfast, but my friend who was staying with me did and I felt that it deserved a "heads-up" here. He said that the fruit was brownish and unappetizing, and that the batter for the waffles was runny and made a mess...not to mention did not make good waffles. I had planned to eat out anyway. So, just be aware if you're counting on the hotel breakfast in the morning. But, there is a McDonald's within feet of the hotel..and a Dunkin Donuts across the street.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
keswick
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

We arrived at this hotel on Wednesday, September 21, 2011. We found the hotel with little difficulty. We checked in and I wasn't all that impressed with the front desk staff. The gentleman who checked us in was not at all friendly, didn't smile at all. I used the computer in the lobby and then heard people asking about restaurants in the area. I decided to go and speak to the young man again about restaurants. This time around he seemed to warm up and he actually even smiled.

Our hotel room was on the second floor 202. It was right next to the stairwell which was nice. No other room on that side. The room was decorated nicely, very clean and new and the bathroom was beautiful. The one thing I did notice was the size of the room and bathroom. They must be building them smaller. We had a king bed which just seemed to take up most of the room where as the room we had in Erie, same king bed, was larger.

I couldn't believe that I made a call home to Toronto, a long distance call, from the hotel phone which last all of a couple of minutes. I was surprised to see that the call was over $9. I think they could get a more decent long distance plan. That was ridiculous.

We then went to the restaurant which was recommended for Italian food which was Stella A's. It was a great restaurant (separate review).

The breakfast in the morning was great. We made waffles and had tea and coffee. A very good selection for breakfast.

All in all this hotel was great. We didn't really explore Lock Haven as this was just a stop along a scenic drive that we were taking. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Lock Haven? Share your experiences!