“5 thumbs down..Check other places..Very very poor...” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ligonier
Pittsburgh, Pa
“5 thumbs down..Check other places..Very very poor...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

This place is a nightmare. The ONLY reason and I mean ONLY reason to stay there is if you want a place close to Idlewild. We've stayed there every summer for the past 3 years and every year it gets worse. Last year (Summer 2008) some one had thrown up at the pool while we were there. I called immediately to get it cleaned up. 10 minutes went by..20 minutes went by ..I called again. 30 minutes went by. A little boy stepped in it and slipped onto the cement. Still no one to clean up this health hazard 2 feet from the pool. Ultimately, no one came until the pool was closed. The manager told me the next morning that everyone was too busy at 8pm on a weeknight to respond. It turns out that one person at the front desk was there to run everything during this time and he couldn’t leave the front desk. If you bother staying there and we won't ever again, you better be ready for no one to take responsibility for anything and everything that goes wrong from stained carpets to unimaginable smells to excuse after excuse. This year, Summer 2009, I made another reservation to give them another chance and just cancelled it. My four year old said to me, " Is that the place with the throw up at the pool?" If a four year old remembers that a year later that tells me something. Is that the vacation memory I want my children to be left with? We're staying at the Sheraton Inn in Greensburg for the same money for the first time this summer. It's 15 minutes away, but well worth the piece of mind that if something is wrong, someone will fix it and take responsibility for it. How the management manages to stay employed in Ligonier in this place, I’ll never know. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
FriendlyLigonier, manager at Ramada Ligonier, responded to this review, July 29, 2009
I'm responding to your review from July 20th, 2009 regarding your stay here last summer 2008. I've never heard of this issue regarding the swimming pool, I can only apologize profusely. We're never too busy for our guests and our guest's comfort and safety are our number one concerns. I'm also sorry I didn't have a chance to speak with you last year regarding any problems you experienced then, especially to one of our repeat customers. Unfortunately since you cancelled your reservation for this summer, you missed seeing our exciting new changes. We are now a smoke free facility, all guest rooms have new beds, bedding, all granite sinks in the bath area, spa inspired bath amenities, new coffee makers, & new 27" TVs to name a few. We've even added a hand painted mural to the pool area. I hope you'll return again especially if traveling to Idlewild with your four year old.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

This is a great hotel in a historic old town. This hotel didn't dissappoint me as the rooms were well furnished and spottless when I arrived. The lobby and the rest of the hotel were the same. I have a wireless internet card and found reception was not a problem. There is a small offsite lot for RV/Truck parking, sorry fellow truck drivers. you'll have to find a place to drop your trailer before coming here and there is a strict NO PET POLICY at this hotel. The Ramada Inn is also litterally located within walking distance of downtown Ligonier. There's also a nice recreation of Ft Ligonier, a British fort built during the French and Indian conflict. There are also several restaraunts and a Subway sandwhich shop in town as well and Idlewild Park, the country's second oldest amusement park, is just a ten minute drive west on US 30.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

I loved this hotel. From the moment that I entered the lobby I felt welcome. Being a female who travels alone quite often that is very important to me. The front desk people were great and very helpful.

I also loved the fact that the rooms have their own climate control. That means the world to me....some hotels are so hot you feel like you are in a sauna and there is nothing you can do about it. And the water pressure in the shower was fabulous. I am a traveler who likes her comforts and this hotel met my needs in spades. The room was clean and the decor was very nice if not better than major metropolitian hotels where I have stayed.

I can't say enough good things about this place!!! Again the friendliness from the staff was unbelievable....I wouldn't be surprised that when I return....and I will...they will remember my name.

I read some of the other reviews and am really not really sure what they are talking about....some people are never happy!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Pittsburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2008

My five year old grandson and I stayed at the Ramada Ligonier on June 7. We arrived early, checked in, spent most of the day at Idlewild Park/Soak Zone (1 mile away), then went to a wedding that evening. The next morning, we enjoyed the breakfast buffet then spent a couple of hours at the pool before checking out.

I read the reviews on this site after booking the room, and since I am very picky about hotels, I was worried about what I was going to encounter. I was pleasantly surprised. Our room was a normal hotel room and was spotless--no peeling wallpaper, clean tub, electronic safe. The pool was very clean and heated with lounge chairs, tables, pool "noodles" and a raft for the children to use. Every staff member that I encountered--front desk, maintenance, housekeeping, restaurant--went out their way to be kind and helpful.

I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — The location was perfect for what we had planned for the weekend.
  • Disliked — Everything was fine.
  • Stayed June 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Walkersville, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2008

stayed on hoilday weekend {Sat. & Sunday} pool looked like an acid bath with crap in water. They said it may open Monday?!...
...No thank you. And you wanted to charge $40 for 2 nights rent for dorm fridge. The wall paper is falling off, no bathroom vents.
Hotel is old & shows it. Nice location. Go check out the bowling alley steps away. You get almost what you paid for.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — pool should have been opened & cleaned for holiday
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Central Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2008

Spent two days in Ligonier so my mom could relive memories from the '50s. Since she has mobility issues, we decided to stay at the Ramada so she could get frequent z's. The lobby was dark and hallways were even worse. You were rationed on towels and facecloths--I had to ask for more. Seams of wallpaper were peeling, some carpet corners were frayed, and there had been obvious water damage on the ceiling. The pool was unusable. Looked like it hadn't been filtered or cleaned since last year. If you have to stay here, but otherwise you might wish to go to Latrobe or Greensburg.

• Liked — downtown location
  • Disliked — dinginess
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Grove City, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2007

My family and I stayed at the Ramada Inn in Ligonier in August 2007. Our experience at this hotel was completely averge. The rooms are exactly what you would expect in this type of hotel. We found the value to be good because we used their Idlewild package. It is very close to Idlewild which was nice. Our only problem was parking. Their parking lot is very small with some on-street parking available. We had to park in a nearby business (at the hotel's suggestion) which made us a little nervous. There is an outdoor pool but we did not use it. The breakfast buffet was average. ($8.95) Kids under 10 eat free which is nice. The front desk staff was very friendly. However, the floor on which the lobby is located is very damp and musty smelling. The surrounding town is very quaint and we would have liked to have spent some time looking around there. There is also an old fort within walking distance. In addition, the Flight 93 memorial is about 30 minutes away.

• Liked — Proximity to Idlewild Park
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Ramada Ligonier? Share your experiences!