“Forget the dining room, stay in the bar.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Lewisburg, PA
“Forget the dining room, stay in the bar.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Full disclosure: I haaaaaaaaaaate the decor of the dining room at Temperance House. It reminds me way too much of my grandmother's house, and I don't often go on dates to my grandmother's house. All they need are some hand-crocheted throw pillows and it would be freakishly perfect.

With that being said, I am always surprised when I end up liking the Temperance House. I was just there for dinner and while I wasn't in love with the appetizer (fried ravioli; the ravioli were good but I thought the tomato sauce needed a little work) I was really happy with my beef and cashew salad. My boyfriend got the vegetarian chickpea/puff pastry dinner which he clean-plate-club enjoyed, and we both thought the risotto he got as a side dish was fantastic. If you eat at a table in the bar you can get both bar and dining room menus, and I think the dining room menu is a bit more spendy than I want in a casual night out.

Their waitstaff is generally nice, and they have this one bartender who I swear remembers every face who walks through his door, and what they prefer to drink. It's impressive.

So. It's not my super-duper favorite place to go but it's really very good, and reasonably priced. As long as you avoid the dining room.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Valentines disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I'll try to cut to the chase here. My wife and I ate here with another couple on 2/15/2013. There was an insert in the menu for a Valentines Day Special for $50.00 that stated "dessert for two" as one of it's features, implying that this was a holiday special full course dinner for 2. No where on this insert did it say per person. All 4 of us sitting at the table thought it was a dinner for 2 for $50. We are all business professionals and would like to think we're not stupid. Then surprise, we get the bill and it was per person!!

The food was good but not "that" great. The portions were small and I've had better food at Ruby Tuesday's and Applebee's for a lot less. My wife and I were so upset that I actually went back in to talk to the manager. I explained that the menu insert was misleading and confusing and she said it stated "per person." So I asked her to show me where it said that because I didn't see it. She left for longer than a minute and didn't come back. So I went to look for her and found the insert and it didn't say "per person." Her comment was "well it said it in the news paper" to which I said "I am from out of town and don't read your local newspaper."

The sad thing here is all she had to do was sincerely apologize. At the very least give us some false promise that she'd change the insert to be more clear and then offer to refund us for our drinks, a whole $8.00 (2 beers) and admitted it was vague. Instead she accused me of haggling her and trying to get a free meal! Then walked away from me and said "I'm done talking to you and I'm not giving you any money back."

Now that I've had this experience I might as well also mention this. They call this place fine dinning, well they have plastic table clothes, old metal banquet chairs, the servers wear T-shirts with some stupid saying on the back about "getting a lil" something of who knows what. The salad dressing came out in a plastic cup, the decor is of the 1970's. The silverware is generic regular bar type crap, and the rest rooms were dated and a little dirty. I have to agree with another review who stated the place looked like an old Holiday Inn inside.

On the drive home I told my wife that I had that same feeling you get after you figured out someone stole your wallet or realizing you got scammed. We have 2 young children and only get out once every 2 months at the most. It was upsetting that first time we'd been out together in a while ended up like this. The kick in the face was, the only reason we went there was to see one of our favorite bands, the Frank Wicher Band, play. We only ate dinner because it seemed convenient. Never, ever, again. Frank Wicher was awesome by the way.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“A disappointing evolution”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We had standing reservations here for more than thirty years, and persisted through several management changes, but current management is a disaster. We finally quit when the bar was out of oranges, for Pete's sake, for two weeks in a row. I mean, how difficult would it be to run out to the grocery store for a couple of oranges? This was symptomatic of a bigger problem with not caring about running a good establishment. Wait staff, eho were personable and trying hard, was never consulted about what the diners were saying, and menus became limited and much more expensive when it was a special weekend at Bucknell. The food items we most enjoyed were eliminated, and the nice feature of "lighter side" or smaller servings was eliminated. We still go out to dinner every week, but not here.

• Visited February 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
“Not worth seeking out”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

This restaurant is tucked just off of the main street. They have re-done their bar area to make it larger and have added a nice selection of beers.
To eat here, though, is not recommended. The place is a ghost town, with one person running the bar and tables, and typically less than 3 patrons during dinner hours. They are out of many things, and I have never been there when they weren't out of something we ordered. The prices and food are just okay, but it is typical fare for the area (Vic's pub, the Hotel, Bull Run Inn) and has nothing unique to offer.
I honestly can't understand how they stay in business. The place needs a facelift and a new focus.

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Houston, TX
“Great Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

I always stop by the Temperance House when in the Lewisburg area on business. The food is always good and the service is wonderful

Visited February 2012