“not as great as it used to be” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Levittown, Pennsylvania, United States
“not as great as it used to be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Food is cooked in different oils, or something. Our family has been eating here for over 20 years. It was always "the best around". We are not trying some new places....

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“better than average, but not quite excellent - good tasting food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This restaurant has been around for decades due to consistency in flavor and portions.
If looking to create a more healthy meal try ordering your entree steamed with sauce on the side and brown instead of white rice. This prevents the meal from being too saucy and calorie laden. For take out dinner you can expect a wait, dining in the service can be slow and not very cordial, but don't take it personally. The only negative I have is that sometimes the wontons in the soup have no filling - all noodle and broth.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
PA
“Food is very "saucy" and service is awful”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Big portions is the only plus for this restaurant, but if it tastes bad, who cares? Each dish was covered in sauce. We were seated but sat for a long time before we had to ask for menus. Later in the meal I requested a soda... I got a can of it ( no glass, no straw) waste if money and our time. We've gotten take out from them also and I wasn't impressed. We have a better take out ( cheaper too ) closer to our house.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia
“Horrible Chinese Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I can't even believe the "excellent" and "very good" reviews posted on TripAdvisor about this restaurant. Either we ate the wrong dishes or people have no idea what good Chinese food tastes like. I'll agree that the place was extremely busy and packed with people when we went on a Friday evening, which is normally a very good indication that the food is good. However, after eating there, I would say no way is that food good.

Food: The Shrimp Toast was disgusting. Breaded way too much and fried in dirty oil. The Pork Fried Rice was not in any way, shape, or form fried rice. I've never had such horrible fried rice. It almost looked and tasted like plain old brown rice with some pork and veggies mixed in. The Sesame chicken was ok, not great, but ok. The Lo-mein looked like it was burnt to death.

My wife who is much more health conscious than me refused to eat her meal. My 4 year old daughter, who loves Chinese food as much as I do, didn't eat her meal either. Because I'm fat I ate my meal and most of theirs, but not because I enjoyed it. Thankfully, I had good Chinese food 2 days later from a restaurant in New Jersey.

Service: The sevice was even worse than the food. I can understand it being slow cause the place really was busy. I just don't get what people see in their food. Chinese food is my favorite food in the whole world and I eat it way more often than I should so I consider myself a good judge of good Chinese food and this place is not good. We went there to try it cause I have heard similar good things about the food. First and last time there.

I recommend A Golden China in Floral Vale In Yardley near Shady Brook Farms or even Duck Sauce in Newtown. Granted those 2 restaurants are much more expensive than Hong Kong Pearl, but you definitely pay for what you get in this situation. The food at Hong Kong Pearl is definitely less expensive than other places and I think that's a good indication of the quality of the food.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Best Chinese Food around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I have been going to Hong Kong Pearl since I was born. Amazing food never have had a bad meal. The lunch and dinner specials are the best!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere