“Going down the toilet” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Sushi
Harrisburg, PA
“Going down the toilet”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I have gone to this restaurant multiple times. My first few times, the food was very good. I had heard some negative reviews, but had good experience. The past few times I have gone here, however, the service and food quality have gone seriously downhill. The most recent experience involved some sushi that was fishy smelling and had both off taste and texture. We were very cool about this to the server, since we had such good experience there in the past, however she referred us to the owner. The owner spoke to us like we were idiots, and told us the sushi was fine. I'm not sure about anyone else out there, but eating questionable sushi is not on my list of fun weekend activities! When we told her that we had had the sushi there before, and this was not good, she told us it was fine, rolled her eyes, and walked away. She did not even come back or make eye contact with us the rest of the time we were there. She just stood in the corner laughing with other employees. I am not a person to make a scene or flip out in public, so I left the BAD sushi on the plate, paid my bill, and left. It feels as though this business may be having some financial issues, and are cutting corners where they should not be cut. I suppose if the owner had made any effort to rectify this situation for me, I would not have felt it necessary to give a negative review. However, they have lost my business, and I will certainly tell everyone I know to go to Tokyo Diner or Sapporo East instead. I just hope I don't spend the rest of the night sick!!!

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“The service is worse than the food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is my first time I put up a negative review for anything. I don't think I ever left a place so angry. The service at this place is horrible. The owner's wife does not know how to deal with customers. We ordered sushi, which arrived pretty quickly. The cooked stuff was edible. The problem was the Spicy Tuna Roll, which is usually our favorite. It tasted like they used puréed tuna that was brownish and very fishy-tasting...as if it was spoiled. After we tried some of it, we expressed our concern to the waitress. She brought over the owner who gave us attitude about the tuna, arguing that there was nothing wrong with it even though we couldn't eat it. She had a terrible attitude. We actually ate their 3or 4 times before and enjoyed the place. It is obvious that there may be financial issues brewing. The service, quality, and presentation has diminished rapidly. If a meal is bad, an owner should appreciate the feedback not make them feel like a sucker!

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Harrisburg, Pa.
“Still Very Good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I went to the new Akita’s location a couple times for lunch with friends recently. The new location is a huge improvement over the old. Everything from the spacing, decoration and expanded sushi bar is very nice. For lunch it is still a very good place to go. The service was good with the expanded staff and they seemed to be settling very well. The food I ordered remained high quality and tasty. The spicy California roll is always good, and the hibachi selections with rice make a great lunch. I tried the spicy tuna roll, and it was good, but I wasn’t crazy about the pureed tuna. I appreciated that they were open to making things spicier if you wanted. Still a good place to go and I will be back soon!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Good, creative Sushi!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I have been in Akita's many times over the last 2 years. I have found the service to be consistently good and the food excellent. This is a BYOB place. I like their deep fried and warm sushi rolls in particular but I also order the hibachis. The small hibachi is actually plenty for lunch or even for dinner if you are not very hungry or are eating a starter. They recently moved to a new location at 834 Market St, which is a lot nicer than the original. I know cooked or deep fried sushi is absolutely non-traditional, but it is very good! They have a sushi bar and also offer other Japanese staples like tempura, tepanyaki, noodles, etc. Prices are very reasonable.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Disgusting, spoiled tuna. Rude and Nasty Hostess”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The service at this place is horrible. The hostess--I'm guessing she's the owner's wife--rolled her eyes at us when we asked for a booth instead of a table. We ordered sushi a-la-carte, which arrived pretty quickly. I've had much better sushi, but most of the cooked stuff was edible. The problem was the Spicy Tuna Roll, which is usually my favorite. But here it was served using puréed tuna that was brownish and very fishy-tasting...as if it was spoiled. The same nasty hostess gave us attitude about the tuna, arguing that there was nothing wrong with it, and refused to remove it from the bill, even though we couldn't eat it. She had a terrible attitude, and should not be waiting on customers. Next time I want sushi, I'll go to Miyako Sushi on 2nd Street in Harrisburg. Akitas is not only the worst sushi I've had, it is the worst dining experience I've had in years.

• Visited October 2012