“Not great, but maybe your best option in the area?” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Lebanon
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Not great, but maybe your best option in the area?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

This is a difficult property to review. Generally, I would rate it a three, or even a two. Our room was very damp, making it difficult to sleep. It smelled damp as well. The pool was very small. Each day it seemed that housekeeping had missed things – one day there was no Kleenex, one day there were no hand towels… basic things.

That said, there are very few hotels in this area, so this may be your best bet if you are looking to stay near Lebanon. Most accommodations between Hershey and Lebanon are very small motels.

We were there two nights for a trip to Hershey Park and Hershey World. We chose Lebanon, which is about 20 miles outside of Hershey because we would be heading to Philadelphia next. These are very small towns – don’t expect to see a Starbucks!

Breakfast was provided. Nothing special. The staff was fairly attentive to keeping everything stocked and keeping the tables clean, although the garbage cans were overflowing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

OK,here we go...day one,my 2 daughters got to the hotel first and checked in.Myself and my 2 sons got there 30 minutes later because of the horrible directions i got from the woman at the front desk.Any-who,i get my key,go up to my room...the boys are jumping out of their shoes in excitment to get in the room.I give my 9 year old the key,he opens the door,we walk in,and a man i never saw in my life steps into view in his underware and screams what the h e double toothpicks are we doing in his room.The putz at the desk gave us the wrong key and room number.My kids were a bit traumatized but we got the proper key and room number without much of an apology.The room was infested with ants...everywhere.T he cleaning crew was a joke.One morning at 845 or 9 in the morning they just opened the door and came in to see if we wanted the room cleaned.3 of my kids were still asleep,and my son and i were on the bed,in our underware watching cartoons.I told them to get out,we are still sleeping,etc.She was back 10 minutes later knocking on the door.And as the other reviews stated,the elevator was smelly,and filthy.I mean disgusting.Oh yes...i almost forgot,the pool.We went down to go swimming.There was a big pile of vomit at the shallow end of the pool,not to get too graphic,but mac and cheese?Staff was notified and it was dealt with.The best employees here were the breakfast lady,the maintanance guy,and the pool guy.I would rather sleep in a field with a herd of cattle than stay here..

Room Tip: Dont check in.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lebanon, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear CHOCHOCHARLIE,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lebanon, PA. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Orlando A.
Beverly Hills, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I've stayed here twice in the past couple of months. The king suite is very comfortable and spacious. The staff is very friendly: welcoming front desk and the lady serving breakfast was so nice:)
I travel with my cat and feel that this hotel is most accommodating and pet-friendly. Will be staying here again when I am in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Danvers, Massachusetts, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I do have to say, my most recent stay at the Holiday Inn was the worst experience in a hotel/resort I have had thus far. In my 5 night stay from June 22 thru June 27 my family and I had to deal with unhelpful staff, unknowledgeable staff, ants, running out of breakfast food, missing property, un-made beds, and I had to pay for items to be returned to me, that ended up melted or ruined. IHG Care has not helped and can only direct me back to the hotel that will not respond. My next task is to try and contact the corp office and attempt to speak directly to Lewis Fader. I think the lack of service and in-action is completely unacceptable.
I booked 2 rooms for my family (7 of us in total) in Lebanon, PA. Our stay was for 5 nights, Fri June 22 thru Wed June 27. My purpose was a vacation visiting Hershey, Lancaster and Harrisburg areas.
Day 1 after checkin, i wanted to get a couple of extra pass keys. After repeatedly discovering some would not work, we determined there could not be more than 2 pass keys per room at a time. For every new one that was acquired, an existing one deactivated. The staff does not know this and has continued to say we can have more than 2 at a time.
Day 2, after returning from a day in Lancaster, we discovered my daughter's Nintendo DSI was missing. It was placed in a particular spot in the room (on her sweatshirt, on a bench). We searched both rooms, cars, pool area and realized it is nowhere to be found. The front desk was accommodating and called the manager after I insisted. He (Mike) listened and mentioned this has never happened before. He did say I would hear back after he investigated. I have not heard back and we are checking out tomorrow. I did hear the front desk say a name to Mike while they were discussing the situation. The name I believe she said was "Angela." I would like to also mention one of rooms was not made, the beds remained untouched. There was a hand written note saying they could not make the beds because of personal items. There was a sweatshirt and phone charger on the bed. They did however leave clean towels.
Days 2 & 3, the cleaning staff repeatedly came back to the rooms, knocking and asking if they could clean the rooms. The requests were done is relatively quick succession, 5 minute intervals. On one occasion, the room was already made and there came 2 requests after. The staff does the bare minimum for accommodating customers. I did not see any good customer service skills displayed during our stay. The staff at the breakfast area was the most helpful of all the staff.
2 mornings, we found the breakfast area short on food. No yogurt, no hard boiled eggs, no cartons of milk, no cinnamon rolls, as there was previously. We were told the pantry has run short of food. How can you offer free breakfast and run short of food?
This was not the most surprising thing that morning. I woke up to a bunch of little visitors running around the desk, ants. Not one or two, I saw more than 10. I have pictures in case this is in question. We notified the front desk immediately and we were told maintenance would take care of it. We mentioned our concern regarding spraying insecticide around our belongings and the response was maintenance would take care of it. We came back after a day at Hershey and I found an ant running around on the desk (another picture).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lebanon, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Dear Ed B,

Orlando A.
Lake Ariel, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

I stayed in a suite which was very clean and very well kept. The hotel over all seemed clean and the staff was very kind. The breakfast buffet was the best my family and I have encountered over many years of travel. The pool was a HUGE disappointment. It looked NOTHING like the picture and was SO cold that even my 6 year old would not get in, and he'll get in just about anything! We stayed an extra night just for swimming which turned out to be a waste of money. We asked about heating it and were told it could be entered into a maintenance log, but not sure if anything could be done. Needless to say, in the 2 nights, 3 days we were there, no one went swimming.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lebanon, responded to this review, June 1, 2012
Dear noviyamama,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your room accommodations as well as our friendly staff. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you did not find the temperature of our pool to your liking. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

I was here for two nights and I had a coworker with me who had their own room and they stayed for 1 night. The hotel is new, I believe less than 2 years old but I was dissappointed in the hotel. Both my coworker and I had some level of bug(s) in our room. A little surprising, expecially considering it is winter and the newness of the facility.

Got up at 5AM one morning and no coffee which is unusual for a HIE. Went to buy a soda from the vending machine and it was out of ALL drinks. I had one mini muffin and wasn't interesting in anything else because of the cleanliness I experienced.

Bed, furniture/TV & bathroom were new but sleep quality was definitely affected by the above mentioned items plus the heating system was very loud. The heat kicked on during a call and my wife asked me if I was at the airport.

This hotel seemed to attract a lot of non business professional travelers who thought walking around with beers in the common area etc. was acceptable. I can only imagine what it had looked liked in summer.

The hotel doesn't seem to place an emphasis on cleanliness. My entire 2 night stay the elevator was very dirty. Brand new, but dirty. The same massive dirt smudge on the doors was on the elevator doors the entire time. I used the hallway a fair bit and it had some debris in it that again the debris stayed there the entire time of my stay.

The hotel is in a rural area with not much in the way of food choices right near the hotel.

Business center was 2 PCs in the same room they had a really small food for sale pantry.

Staff was fine so I gave them a 3. I also gave the room a 3 of 5 because the room would have been nice considering it was a HIE but I killed a large bug, the rug was dirtier than I expected for a hotel this new, etc. If the facility was cleaner I would have given the value a 4 and the overall score either a 3 or a 4.

When in the area again I will be staying at another hotel unless I see a lot of improvement in their tripadvisor reviews. This hotel is only a couple of miles from where I have to go so hopefully they get these issues addressed.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

The brand needs to do away with the horrible imitation egg omelet halves; they’re absolutely horrible. I’m grateful for the coffee stand and cereal bar. The room was clean, but the arm of the chair in the room was badly torn apart and frayed. There were bugs in the room; we must have killed half a dozen while we were here. They didn’t have movies in the room, which was a total let down since there was nothing else to do. There were instructions to use the Movie Beam movie remote; I couldn’t figure out how to do this from the instructions provided. I called the front desk and her reply was that they no longer had it. Considering there’s nothing else in the surrounding neighborhood; that was extremely disappointing.

Room Tip: Just avoid this place unless all you really need is a place to lay your head.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lebanon? Share your experiences!