“New Property -- Ahhh!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Latrobe
Northern Ohio
“New Property -- Ahhh!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Had a very nice experience at the new Latrobe Springhill Suites, which opened just a few months ago. The new Springhill design is crisp and modern and this was easily the most upscale Springhill I've been to, with a restaurant and bar on the premises and a warm feeling throughout the open lobby area.
I found the service to be quite pleasant and efficient (sometimes I'm not sure what people are expecting from the staff -- do they want them to wash and wax their car? :) and any apparent lack of experience from them was more than made up with enthusiasm, which is refreshing.
Most important to me was the fact that the beds were very comfortable and I slept like a baby. This, probably more than anything else, is the highest compliment I can give a hotel.

Room Tip: My room was one the 4th floor, and like another commenter, found the condenser (or some HVAC apparat...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Latrobe, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Mian9,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We're glad you chose to stay with us at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Latrobe and enjoyed the décor. I appreciate your compliments about our staff and will make sure to pass them along in our next staff meeting. Our new staff works very hard to provide first class service so when they hear positive feedback such as yours, it reminds them that what they are doing makes a difference. I believe your comments will motivate them to continue to provide great service. We hope that all guests appreciate their efforts as you do. It's also great to hear that you had a pleasant, sound sleep! We invite you to come and stay with us again for another exceptional experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Port-au-Prince, Ouest, Haiti
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

The Hotel is brand new and the rooms are truly amazing. I stayed in a room with 2 queen beds, and it had a great desk space with plenty of outlets, an extra couch for guests to sit on, a toilet that was separate from the shower which is always nice, a microwave and a refrigerator. There is not doubt that the building and rooms are amazing. The reason I gave these hotel 3 stars is because to be very honest, the staff at the hotel lacks training! I have to admit that while the front desk staff are nice and helpful, they are also without knowledge of the hotel. I had to use a Safety Deposit Box and most of the staff didn't even no where they were, how to fill out the forms, or open them. The second problem I had was with housekeeping, it was horrible! When I checked in I could tell that the toilet had not been cleaned, and I don't think they even put new sheets on the bed for me. And the next day, the cleaning lady did not clean the toilet again! Finally, one of the individuals driving the shuttle bus was down right rude. The poor baby had to wait for 5 minutes while he found me at St. Vincent's College, and then when I got in the van he didn't even say hello or anything, until I pointed out how rude he was being. How ridiculous! So, the building and rooms themselves are great. The staff, not so much.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Latrobe, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
DrSteven11,
Thank you for your review. We're glad you chose to stay with us at SpringHill Suites. I'm pleased to know you enjoyed our hotel and found a nice, comfortable place to stay. I apologize for your discontent with our staff. We're in the process of training new Associates and hope our high standards of service will be exhibited shortly. I have read your comments in their entirety and plan to review them with our staff. We invite you to come and stay with us again as we ensure a more positive experience.
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I cannot say enough about the staff at this hotel. From the time we checked in until we checked out, we were impressed with the level of customer service we received. Unfortunately, I only remember one of their names, but they were all wonderful. At check in we met Jill who was very professional and accomodating. She told us what time she was working to and invited us to contact her uhtil that time in case there were any issues with our stay. We were impressed with the facility from the time we walked through the door. It is very nicely decorated with a golf theme. We were informed that Arnold Palmer has a business interest in the property and were invited to look around at some of the memorabilia of his on display. Our room was very nicely decorated also. The bathroom features a separate bathing area with an oversized shower. The separate bathroom areas each have a sink which is very convenient. We went back down to the desk at dinner time and again spoke with Jill about the area and to get a suggestion for dinner. She again asked several questions and was very friendly and helpful. She took time to find out what type of food we wanted and then made several suggestions. The place we decided on was excellent. We returned to the hotel later in the evening and enjoyed a drink and dessert in the lounge area. Again, the staff in the lounge were very focused on customer service and making this a pleasant experience. We had a wonderful night's sleep in one of the most comfortable beds I can ever remember sleeping in. We also enjoyed the complimentary breakfast buffet which was very good. On our way out later that morning we again enjoyed talking with the staff. They made some suggestions for places to stop on our way home which also turned out to be very nice. I simply cannot say enough about the property and the staff at this hotel. It was truly an awesome experience that we can't wait to repeat. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Latrobe, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
DBerly,

It’s great to hear from you and receive such a wonderful review. We’re delighted to know that you had a pleasant stay with us and truly enjoyed our tremendous staff. We know how helpful it can be for our guests to receive recommendations about the surrounding restaurants and stores so I’m glad our staff provided this for you. I’ll let Jill know of your special mention of her assistance and make sure she receives a commendation for her outstanding service. We welcome you to come and stay with us again the next time you visit Pittsburgh.

Kind regards,
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel was just recently built in 2012 and opened @ the end of July or the first of August. Regardless of when it opened, it lives up to Marriott brand. Has comfortable beds, spacious rooms, nice furnishings, and free internet. Free breakfast in the lobby was very good...had scambled eggs, sausages, fruit, cereal, waffles, muffins, coffee, tea, milk, juice. Do you need more? Did not use the indoor pool or the exercise room but they looked fine and had great looking equipment. I saw the exercise room had two trendmills, two stationary bikes, and some free wieghts. Might be more, but that is all I saw passing through. They have a full service bar in the lobby. Have room service that consisted of sandwiches and salads that average @ $8-$10.
All the staff were friendly and helpful. I'd give them an excellent.

Canonsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We really liked the decor of this hotel...lobby, hallways and rooms. The wall-sized outdoor-themed (golf course) pictures gave the hotel a fresh, open feel. All the staff we encountered were courteous and helpful. The king size bed had a nice, thick foam topper which made it very comfortable. The layout of the room is a little different but we liked it...and can see where it would be well suited for business travelers. We were there for a date night and it suited us just as well.
The room was extremely clean. The breakfast was standard but fine and there was more seating than is usually available at hotels...a big plus. The lounge area looked very nice but we didn't try it out. There is also a very nice firepit and waterfall seating area outside. Unfortunately, we were unable to use it because of rain. I think it would have been nice for both evening and breakfast relaxing.
The only slightly negative thing I found was more of a feeling or impression that is hard to put my finger on. It is as if the hotel has a slightly 'snooty' feeling that is beyond the category of hotel. It is almost like the hotel thinks it is more upscale than it is. I think this comes from a couple things...the staff being courteous and helpful...but not friendly or warm...and the feeling that there are 'regulars' that hang out there and get special attention. Again, this was an impression and hard to define. A small negative that would not stop be from enjoying this very nice hotel again or heartily recommending it to others.

Beaverton, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed a week at this property, unfortunately we basically just slept here. The free breakfast was basic but good. They also have a cafe that is open from 11am-11pm including a bar. The staff was courteous, and helpful especially the night clerk. Our room was on the 4th floor by the condenser, kind of loud but did not ask to be moved. Beds were comfortable. Toilet was in separate room from the shower which was a little strange. Also if you wat a tub you need to specify that.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the low numbers on any floor that is where the heating/cooling condenser is, if you w...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Latrobe, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Kitkat1961,

We greatly appreciate your business and thank you for your kind review. It was a pleasure to have you stay a week with us and I’m glad to hear it was a positive experience for you. Please visit us again the next time your travels take you to Pittsburgh, PA.

LI NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We were pleased to find the hotel is brand new.
We were pleasantly greeted and excited to check in.
When we did experience a problem, we were patronized pretty badly and seriously considered leaving.
The old adage that the customer is always right does not apply here.
Brand new facility, small salt water pool that I never saw being serviced and looked unclean was monopolized by a family of teenage boys who were like animals.

Arnie's brother put his bare feet on the firepit all night while he ordered the most expensive drink all night and tried to appear smart. Waiter from the bar came and asked if he needed more drinks but waiter ignored us.

The cleaning ladies were the best I have ever encountered and were so nice to talk with.

Not sure where I will stay next time I am in town, very disappointed by the treatment I received by the people in charge.

The building itself was gorgeous. The bathrooms are well equipped for seniors. The toilets have a supersonic flush that can be easily heard through the walls.

The beds were excellent.
We were really excited to try this place, but in the end we were disappointed.

Room Tip: Keep your bathroom doors and closet doors shut tight for noise control.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
ConcordHospitality, Manager at SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Latrobe, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Janine S,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. We’re glad you stayed with us and appreciate your compliment about our hotel. We do have a beautiful facility! We also have very friendly and helpful associates who exhibit exceptional service skills. Any variation to this behavior will be personally looked into by me. Your recognition of our housekeeping staff is the highlight of your review so thank you for praising them for their outstanding work. I hope we can re-establish your faith in us and welcome you back for a more pleasant experience.

Kind regards,
Dawn Roberts, General Manager

Been to SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Latrobe? Share your experiences!