“Better than the bad reviews suggest” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #24 of 38 hotels in Lancaster
Washington, DC, United States
“Better than the bad reviews suggest”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Price was the main thing we looked for and the price was very good.
However, I had some trepidation based on the bad reviews, and those did not pan out.
The motel is certainly a bit worn down, but the linens were spotless, the beds comfortable, the room was clean. The air freshener used in cleaning was a bit perfumey but an hour or so with the window opened aired the room out.
Someone remarked on the smell of curry from the Indian restaurant (Tulsi) attached to the motel. I did not notice this much except when walking by the kitchen (and we had dinner at Tulsi, which was very good).
We needed a reasonable place to stay while we were attending the Celtic Fling at the PA Ren Faire site about a half hour north of Lancaster. Amish Country Travelodge provided just what we needed at an excellent price.

Room Tip: Our room was directly over the motel office, looking out on Columbia Ave. The room had a nice little...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Brigitte H, Front Office Manager at Lancaster Amish Country Travelodge, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Paul,
Thank you for your kind words. It is nice when a guest takes a few minutes to describe his or her stay in an objective way without embellishment.

200 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Lancaster
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

There are only two things I think would have improved my stay, one a list of TV station, ie: local news channel 12. The second would be to enlarge the area for breakfast. Everything for a continental breakfast was there, but only one person could really comfortably get their breakfast at a time. The clerks were good especially the young man when I checked in and the French lady. All in all not a bad place to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Bonnie,
i am glad your stay was quite enjoyable, and we appreciate your constructive suggestions. The young man at the front desk and myself thank you for complimenting both of us; that does make us feel great to be appreciated. Thank you again, and come back anytime.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I travel for business in Lancaster quite frequently and have stayed in just about every hotel/motel in the area. This was the dirtiest place with the rudest manager! Duct tape on my door and terrible mildew smell! AWFUL EXPERIENCE- STAY AWAY!

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
MGPATEL, General Manager at Lancaster Amish Country Travelodge, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear guest,
You made a reservation through a third party website for the wrong date, and when you arrived at the hotel, you did not have a reservation but we accommodated you by giving you the last room available in the hotel. As soon as you checked in, you called the third party website to demand compensation, but never called the front desk. You waited 30 minutes past checkout time to come to the front desk to talk about your issues. Let’s examine your claims. There was duck tape on the box to hold its cover as a temporary measure, and we admit that it was not aesthetic. However there was no mildew odor in the room, and the room was clean when you checked in.
Conneaut, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

After a long day of traveling, 90 degree heat and traffic jams, we were looking forward to a shower and a nice clean bed to crash for the night. Well, I was exhausted after hauling the suitcase up to the room. I just wanted to relax!! My hubby went to look for cold drinks and while he was out, I noticed that evidently the shower HAD NOT been cleaned as there were pubic hairs in plain site!! GROSS!! The stainless steel toilet paper holder was all rusted and flaking. Holes and dirt in corners. Overwhelming!! Well, I decided no shower for me!! We were headed home the next morning and my MS was flaring from the heat. I just needed to rest. I checked the bed I had for bugs and dirty sheets, it appeared to be ok so I crashed. My husband pointed out the big gap under the door to the outside, also a black hole in the corner of the ceiling (black mold or something??). Honestly, we should have left but I couldn't move. I fell asleep, the next morning I went to the office before we left. We were traveling with my brother and sister-in-law. They were already in the office and he had pictures of bugs that were in his room, They were given a non smoking room and reservations were for smoking, they moved them to a smoking room and the door to that room was wide open, A/C was not on (minor), there was an impression of someones butt where they sat on the bed, bugs, just overall disgusting!! He has pictures to prove it. We had to ask for $1.50 back for not using the safe as they charge you regardless at check in (minor) When we explained to the clerk she immediately assumed we just wanted a free room. She said the best she could offer was 15% off. "No manager was available." I told them the night before about our shower and the clerk had made a note because she already knew about that. All this being said, my husband told me on the way home that when he went to get into his bed ~ a yellow stain was on his sheet. Well, I just rcv'd a return call from the Mgr. He doesn't accept complaints well either. He made excuses for everything!!! Grrrrr. I guess I had better sign off before I say anymore!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Brigitte H, Front Office Manager at Lancaster Amish Country Travelodge, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear guest,
Normally, we would answer your allegations step by step, but in your case we will make an exception. You accepted 15% discount to compensate for your inconvenience at check out and you were satisfied. One day later you called the hotel to talk to the GM, and your list of complaints went from Hair in the tub to the Bates Motel list of horrible issues. If your claims had been legitimate, we would have gone out of our way to recitfy the situation, but threatening to use social media to pressure us into refunding the whole stay was not acceptable.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This place is not good. It is cheap in every way. Stayed several nights which was a mistake. The carpet was so dirty that I eventually put the bed spread in the floor for the children to play on. I figured out a way to use towel s to walk across the room in my socks without totally ruining them. I would have left but I was with other family and did not want to appear a prima donna.
The young man at the front desk was nice. The owner looks as if he might be trying
There was fairly new furniture in the room.. breakfast not worth going to get. You have to bring it back to room and there is really no where to sit.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Brigitte H, Front Office Manager at Lancaster Amish Country Travelodge, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
Dear June,
We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. During the six days you spent here, it seems that you met the owner, and I am surprised that you did not share your discomfort with him or with the front desk. We would have been more than happy to do whatever was necessay to make your stay a more comfortable one.
Once again we apologize for failing to provide you with a more enjoyable experience.
Chevy Chase, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Ben had at one time vowed never again to spend a night at a Travelodge property A night at a very comfortable property attended by truly hospitable folks in Pooler, Georgia changed that, perhaps forever. As a result, we decided to try a Travelodge in Lancaster, and a sound choice it turned out to be.

Our room was clean, spacious, and surprisingly quiet in view of the central downtown location. We slept blissfully and awoke hungry. For breakfast at this motel, guests are urged to take the tray from the room to the reception area and return with his or her breakfast selections. The buffet contained fruit, muffins, toaster waffles and a selection of cereal, along with milk, coffee, and apple or orange juice. The in-room microwave finished off a satisfying, uncrowded, unhurried breakfast so nicely that we simply repeated the same routine for all three of our mornings.

Now, I presume noone checks in to a Travelodge or, for that matter, any drive-by motel expecting to be swamped by a long line of stars, and that it would be foolish indeed to do so. Mrs Too and I vastly prefer to spend less on a hotel room and more on lunches, dinners, and attractions. We couldn’t begin to guess how much money that approach has saved us over our many years of traveling well over two hundred thousand miles by car. It tickles us when we inquire of a reception staffer where the best restaurants are in any town. More than once have we been cautioned that this place or that is on “the pricey side”. We then explain that that is why we are staying with them, and always evince a smile and knowing nod.

Brigitte at the desk and Mr. Patel, either the property manager, or perhaps the franchisee, could not have been more hospitable and accommodating. We have plans to visit Lancaster regularly, and will stay right here.

For some reason, guests are by default charged a fee of $1.50 per night for the in-room safe. However, signs at the desk and a note on the registration card all state that the charge will be reversed upon stating that it was not used. In our case, it was indeed dropped, no questions asked. It made me think of an old Navy saying "Think, dammit, there must be a harder way".

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Brigitte H, Front Office Manager at Lancaster Amish Country Travelodge, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
I would like to thank you for posting such a great review. Now it is my turn to compliment both of you. You have three great qualities, common sense, honesty and sense of humor. I wish more people were like you in the hospitality business and I do hope to see you in a near future.

Been to Lancaster Amish Country Travelodge? Share your experiences!