“Great for the price” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Mays Landing, New Jersey
“Great for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

All things considered, this is not a bad hotel, despite the reviews. This is NOT a five star hotel. Yes, it is a bit old and dated. But the staff here do great with what they have. We booked through Groupon, and it cost us about $350 for 4 nights - a huge bargain! When we went to check in, the front desk wanted us to check the water in our room first. Apparently, they had some electrical or plumbing problem the day before, so they wanted us to make sure we were okay with it first. The water pressure in the shower was pretty low, but my kids take baths and my husband and I were not bothered by it. I appreciated the fact that we were told this up front. We rented a small refrigerator for $25 per stay. This location is great, it is between two outlet shopping centers, and very close to Dutch Wonderland. We received a free hot buffet breakfast every morning. The dining room area with the windows is lovely. One evening, the kids got a free ice cream sundae bar. My kids LOVE the indoor play area with Disney movies and spend tons of time in there, while adults can sit on the couches just outside and watch them, even get a glass of wine from the hotel bar and relax while the kids are occupied. The pools are very nice, indoor and outdoor. For some reason the outdoor pool water level was about a foot short, but I figured it was related to the water issue that I was told about. The workout room is nothing special, it was actually very hot in there, but the equipment worked and I got my exercise in. I later noticed there was a big fan I could have turned on. The grounds are very well maintained. They have a golf course, snack bar, tennis courts, volleyball, and walking trail. Overall, a clean, safe place to stay with a few extras. This is not a luxury hotel, do not expect that for $69/night. But well worth the money and we will continue to stay here.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have balconies that overlook the pool. Other rooms will have a view of the ground...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Harry S, General Manager at Lancaster Host Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 8, 2014
Dear Diane C.,

We are pleased you enjoyed your visit with us here at the Lancaster Host. We are grateful that you took time to comment regarding your experience and appreciative of your positive review and wonderful scores in each individual category.

Please accept my apology for the water pressure issue which affected our ability to refill the outdoor swimming pool as noted in your review. The water pressure issue plagued other facilities on Rt. 30 as well and we appreciate your patience and understanding; the water pressure has been resolved.

Thank you for choosing the Lancaster Host, we appreciate your patronage, and we look forward to having you stay with us in the future.

If I may be of any further service please feel free to contact me directly at hstevens@lancasterhost.com .

Respectfully yours,
Harry Stevens

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

Was looking for an inexpensive getaway, and booked through Groupon. Got nervous when I read the reviews. If you're used to the Hilton or Ritz Carlton, then go there. If you're looking for a clean, comfortable place to stay, the resort is fine. It's an older resort and could use some upgrades (ie. fitness center), but it is fine.
The staff was friendly and efficient. The pools were clean. The outdoor pool is larger than many hotel pools.
The resort is centrally located to just about anything you want to do in Lancaster.
The breakfast buffet had something for everyone. Our only complaint during our stay was that on days when there was a conference and the buffet was busy, the bacon was barely cooked.
Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Janet C.,

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Host. We are also grateful that you took time to comment regarding your experiences and appreciative of your positive review.

We look forward to you and your family staying with us again in the future. If I may be of further assistance please do not hesitate in contacting me at hstevens@lancasterhost.com.

Laurel, Maryland, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

Hotel was very dated. old carpet, bathtub peeling on the bottom. Rooms doors slam very hard and kept me awake with people going in and out until late in the night, same thing early next morning. I had to make a last minute reservation and the visitors center recommended this one (must get pay backs from them) at a VERY HIGH RATE. They took advantage of my situation but I will NEVER have to stay here again. I complained to management to no avail. I think they are used to complains and really do not give a damn.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Harry S, General Manager at Lancaster Host Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 9, 2014
Dear Cathy P.,
Thank you for taking the time to post your personal thoughts relative to your recent stay at the Lancaster Host. We appreciate any and all feedback from our guests. Please accept my apology that the hotel did not meet your expectations
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

I just returned from a visit with my family.The negative reviews are unwarranted, we were pleasantly surprised upon our arrival. I found this hotel to be great. It was very clean. Both pools were in good condition, children's play area was a hit with my little one and breakfast buffet was good. The staff was accommodating and very friendly. It had everything I would expect from a 3 star hotel. I will be visiting again for sure!

Dear Carrie B.,

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay at the Lancaster Host Resort in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. We are pleased you enjoyed our amenities as well as your stay with us. We are also grateful that you took time to comment regarding your positive experiences and appreciative of your great review.

As your personal observations reflect, our team is committed to continuous improvement in all areas of the hotel. We are pleased that you recognized the efforts of our staff to deliver a positive experience for you, our hotel guest.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

I don't generally write reviews but I wanted let other people know the bad reviews are so accurate, that this place should be avoided.

My friends and I were looking for a nice place to stay at on vacation. We've frequented Lancaster many times so when we saw this deal on Groupon, we jumped on it.

The lobby is nice but the rest of the hotel is a disgrace. Aside from the maze of stairs, the wallpaper in the halls is peeling, a lot of ceiling tiles are water damaged/stained, the carpet is old and worn and there is a prevalent musty smell. Inside of the rooms are no better. The carpets are warn, the bedding is dated, and the pillows are small and lumpy and like others, our phone did not work either. We told the staff but they did nothing about it. The air conditioning was either Antarctic blast or nothing at all. The bathroom was stained, chipped, and cracked. Our toilet was leaking from around the seal, leaving a puddle on the floor with each flush. We did have hot water but it got scalding fast! So you had to shower quickly to avoid getting burned. The tub has a small hole on the bottom that's rusted clean though.

I'm tall but not super tall (5'8) and the room was definitely designed for shorter people. When fully stretched out on the bed, my feet hang off. I can't fully extend my arms over my head without hitting the ceiling. Then there's the midget toilet and shower that I had to duck under to use.

The outdoor pool was SO cold that swimming was impossible even at noon on a sunny 85 degree day. The indoor pool (which there was no sign for, we just kind of wandered around looking for it) was way, way too warm, was hot inside the building and smelled heavily of chlorine. So swimming was out.

We also got 2 free food coupons per day (4 total) and the food was so awful that we decided not to even bother using the second set of coupons even though it was free. There wasn't many choices at the buffet, if you can even call it that, and the choices were bad still. They had eggs, potatoes, sausage, pancakes, fruit (pineapple & watermelon), cereal, muffins &toast. By the time we got there (9:30 am) it was slim pickings already. The potatoes were hard, the pancakes were like Styrofoam, the fruit was the only good thing. Would have been totally disgruntled if I actually had to pay the $13 they wanted for such a terrible breakfast.

Although the place is well worn, you can tell that it's clean and, for the most part, the staff was friendly. I feel like this place has never emerged from the 80's, but if it did it would be awesome considering the location.

Even though this was a deal, it really wasn't worth the money. I would save my cash and totally look else where when looking for a hotel in Lancaster.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Jen B.,
Thank you for taking the time to submit your personal observations regarding your stay here at the Lancaster Host. Sorry to read that the hotel did not meet your expectations.

As for the overall condition of the hotel; I can assure you that our hotel management team as well as our corporate team is dedicated to an ongoing program to update the facility as funding is available, unfortunately this may not happen as quickly as we would like for our guests.

As the majority of our reviews indicate, the Lancaster Host is a wonderful place to stay while you are in the Lancaster area due to its central location among many local attractions and its unique family amenities.
Respectfully yours,
baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

just returned from the host for 2 days with 4 rooms and 15 people . pool was great , rooms were clean . service staff was very accommodating and pleasant. gr8 place for family vacation right across from dutch wonderland

Room Tip: close to the lobby
Dear Isabra,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

I recently stayed two nights at the Lancaster Host with my mother and two year old daughter. We purchased a deal through groupon and got a great rate...however, despite the $59 nightly rate...this hotel was not even worth it. The location is good as we were visiting the outlets and Dutch Wonderland. The room was probably cleaned well but due to aging carpets, linens and bathroom fixtures it didn't look clean. Everything was stained. Our room telephone didn't work. The ice machine on our floor (and several other locations) didn't work. The outdoor pool was deserted and it was obvious why. The indoor pool didn't seem clean either. My daughter brought a pair of slippers which we left without because they must have gotten lost during a visit from housekeeping. I think that this hotel was probably a fabulous place in the 80's but it doesn't seem like much has been done to keep up with the property since then. NOT worth the $59....let alone the normal rate!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Lancaster Host Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!