“Blast From The Past” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Flemington, New Jersey
“Blast From The Past”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

It was almost 40 years to the day when I last stayed at what was then Host Farms.

Although I was only 13 at the time, I can remember, with the help of some Kodak 3 ½” color prints, the large pool, playing air hockey, billiards and an indoor mini golf course.

We went horseback riding on the property and the gentlemen wore jackets to dinner and the ladies long evening gowns.

My parents had my portrait drawn by the artist in the lobby, Henry Brown.

A year or so ago we stayed nearby and drove around the Host to check it out. It was apparent from the outside that the property was falling into disrepair.

Peeling paint on the exterior, shingles missing from the roof and tennis courts turned into parking lots. Time had taken its toll on this old girl.

I knew the hotel had slipped from her former glory, but wanted to go back anyway for old times sake.

I’m sorry to say that many of the reviews are accurate. The furniture in the rooms is old and banged up. There is a tube television, no refrigerator, small bathrooms, low water pressure, stains on the ceiling tiles, peeling paint, crumbling concrete, funky smell etc.

It seems that the owners are focused on weddings, trade shows and conferences as those areas have received recent renovations are are quite nice.

I was surprised to see several people walking large dogs that were clearly not service animals throughout the property, including the hallways and lobby. Apparently the hotel is "pet friendly" however I did not see that stated on any of the materials for the hotel that I saw prior to booking my room. I would have to assume that animals in the hotel are the cause of some of the smells and stains. I would suggest asking if your room is a pet friendly room if considering a stay if you do not want a room previously occupied by an animal.

The air condition in the room worked although is was a bit archaic with the small metal box to control the temperature and the light switch to turn it on and off. Being our stay was in June, the weather was quite mild and we really didn't need the A/C. We had it on mostly to circulate some air since we could not open our windows.

The 1.9 mile walking path around the golf course was poorly marked, the ice machines do not work and a vending machine ate my money without dispensing a soda. However, the front desk refunded my $1.50 without question.

The king bed was comfortable and although tiny, the pillows were comfortable as well.
Yes, old and run down but at no time did my wife or I feel we were in a dirty room.

All the staff we encountered were amazing, right from the front desk clerk upon check in. She was courteous, friendly and professional.

When we encountered two non-working ice machines in our wing of the hotel, I called the front desk to ask where I could find a working ice machine. She replied “no need, we will send some ice to your room”. Two minutes later, a knock on the door and there was a nice young man with 2 bags of ice in his hand. He asked if there was anything else we needed and refused a tip.

The young man in Mulligan’s Snack Shack was friendly and apologetic that he could not cook us a hamburger, as his grill was not working. He pointed us to the pool bar where he said they could cook us up a fresh hamburger. He told us to have a good day as we left.

The two girls at the poolside bar were also very friendly, polite and happy to cook us a hamburger and hotdog.

We were provided a voucher for two free buffet breakfasts in the Vista room. I have to say that it was quite good and a very impressive spread. All the traditional hot breakfast items and meats were offered along with fresh fruit, cereals, muffins, juices and coffee.

The waitress was very attentive and offered to bring us more toast from the kitchen so we didn’t have to stand and wait by the toaster.

The pool water was clean and clear and there was a lifeguard on duty. There were plenty of chaise lounges as well as picnic tables with chairs and umbrellas around the pool.

We did not eat at the restaurant although the menu looked appealing, we opted to take a small drive to The Stockyard Inn Steakhouse that is well worth the trip to Lancaster alone.

Would we go back? I wouldn’t say no, but with so many other hotels in the area, I would opt to try something different.

I would certainly go back to play golf as the course was well-maintained and green fees were reasonable.

All in all, it was nice to stay at the Lancaster Host as it brought back many memories and I truly hope the current owners correct the deficiencies and re-polish this gem that has lost her luster.

As far as my rating, I do not feel good about giving this property a 2 Star Poor rating, so even though it may be a bit below the 3 Star Average rating, I'm going with 3 Stars. Maybe this is due to my being nostalgic.

My advice to anyone contemplating a stay at the Host is to ask if the room has been recently renovated and when the renovations were completed. It wouldn’t hurt to ask what specifically was renovated in the room as well. I would also ask if the room was ever booked to someone with a pet. Do your homework and adjust your expectations accordingly.

Room Tip: Ask if the room has been renovated, when the renovation took place as well as what was renovated. As...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Manchester, MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Stayed here for 8 days in April 2014 for a large dog show. This hotel is not handicap friendly. It is large and very confusing with many many doors and hallways. Not many ramps at all inside or out. You need to use a huge set of steps to use the Expo center where I had to be several times a day. The entire hotel needs updating. The air conditioning is a nightmare.We had to pay extra for a fridge and no microwaves at all. This comes free even in cheap motels. We also had a small outdated tv and no DVD player . We had large dogs, hundreds of them and the a/c didn't work at all in many rooms. The hotel knew we were coming 10 months ago. The staff even said the a/c wasn't working right. When many people had problems with the a/c the front desk turned off the phones so they wouldn't have to speak with us. The layout is terrible and confusing to anyone. The breakfast was ok but not great. The prices are too high for a hotel like this. They call it a resort but it was not like ones where I have been and paid that amount. I won't return to this hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms that open up around the outdoor pool were large and had big windows but they didn't op...
Green Features: I didn't see anything except the towels were only replaced if you asked. They did not change towels and sheets daily.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Harry S, General Manager at Lancaster Host Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Newlymomma,
I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience regarding your stay at our hotel. At the Host we always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I am sorry to hear the hotel did not meet all of your expectations.
However I must note that the Expo Center is accessible by three different entrances, two of which are on ground level with no stairs involved. I am aware of a few guest rooms which experienced A/C issues towards the end of the show week, but these were rectified as soon as possible. When a guest experiences any type of issue, one call to our Manager on Duty will generally resolve the issue. The Front Desk cannot “turn off” telephones to avoid dealing with an issue as it is not feasible operationally, not to mention would be unsafe and unprofessional for us to do so. I agree the hotel has a large footprint but all of the guest hallways and entrances are clearly marked with directional signs and the hotel dispensed comprehensive maps of the property to all attendees of the show outlining all venues and events.
We have taken note of your valuable comments and rest assured, these will be used to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer to our guests. Thank you for staying with us; we appreciate the positive scores that accompanied your review and wish you well in your future travels.
Toms River, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Stayed here one night Memorial Day weekend and though the location was great (near the outlets and center of the area) the hotel needs updating badly. The bed was comfortable and our room was clean. Did not have a flat screen TV. I can live with that. The buffet breakfast was horrible!! Cold and tasteless. Pancakes and waffles were soggy. I only had oatmeal which was I felt was safe. It was an ok place to stay overnight but if you are looking for a special place this is not it. OK for families to save money.

Dear Shoreluver,
Thank you for taking the time to submit your personal observations regarding your most recent stay at our hotel. At the Host, we always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected. We truly value your input and very much rely on you, our guest, to help us improve our hotel operation. I would like to truly apologize for the breakfast issue you had during your stay.
We strive to exceed the expectations of every guest who stays with us, and regretfully in your case, we failed to meet that criteria. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated and I have shared the same with our food and beverage management staff. If I may be of any further service please contact me directly at hstevens@lancasterhost.com.
Thank you again for your feedback, we hope you enjoyed your visit to the Lancaster area and hope you will stay with us again on your next trip to the area.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

My husband and I had our wedding ceremony and reception at the Host this past September. The entire experience was just incredible! Raquel was our dedicated event coordinator, who helped us organize our thoughts, plan the events of the day (all the way down to the little details) and made sure that everything ran smoothly on the rehearsal night and the big day. She was very responsive throughout the planning process, even when I sent multiple e-mails per day - typical hyper bride! I could not be happier with the customer service from Raquel and all the other wait staff from our event. The hotel was pretty full from our 200 wedding guests (many were from out of town) and other events going on that weekend, but we never experienced a lapse in service. My bridesmaids and I got ready in a king suite - it was HUGE! The room was light and airy and had two bathrooms, which is a necessity with all us girls! The guys got ready in a room across the hotel from us, and that worked out really well. Our ceremony was outside at the edge of the golf course under a willow tree - it was absolutely beautiful! There are so many great places for photos around the golf course, from the bright green grass and mature trees, to the covered bridge and corn fields, our pictures are stunning! Our reception was in the Vista Windows room, which completely transforms into an elegant event space at night (especially with some uplighting from the DJ). Because we had so many guests, we had to use an extra room to fit everyone. I was originally concerned that it would look and feel like a "spill-over" room, but we put our bridal party and good friends in there and everyone had a blast! Plus, they had the best view of the sweetheart table and dance floor! If I had to do it all over again, I would definitely stick with the Host! My wedding was perfect, Raquel is a lifesaver, the location is convenient for out of town guests, having a bar for an "after party" was awesome, and you can't beat the price! Thank you!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Kim N.,
Congratulations! Thank you for taking the time to send your personal observations and comments regarding your recent wedding reception hosted here at the Lancaster Host. We appreciate the outstanding marks you awarded us in each of the categories.
As your personal observations reflect, not only Raquel, but our entire team’s mission at the Lancaster Host is to deliver exceptional hospitality and I am pleased to hear that we did so for your special day.
Thank you again for your positive comments and patronage, both are much appreciated. If I may be of any future assistance please contact me directly via email at hstevens@lancasterhost.com.
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Loved the deal for $99 a night weekdays including breakfast. What a value we received. An all you can eat breakfast buffet. Not a continental breakfast but a full breakfast! Seemed like most people left after the weekend. Since our family went during the middle of the week, we felt like V.I.P.'s. The children loved the pool. Please note however, that there are no ice machines working in this hotel. I don't know what happened. This was a major inconvenience to us. On top of that please note that you have to pay $25 to get a refrigerator in your room. We are used to this being standard at hotels with this star rating. With children this was also a great inconvenience. Glad that the breakfast made up for our other disappointments.

Room Tip: Building is large. Try to get a room near the lobby. If not, get ready for alot of walking!
Dear Savealot2,

We are pleased you enjoyed your visit with us here at the Lancaster Host. We are grateful that you took time to comment regarding your experience and appreciative of your positive review and wonderful scores in each individual category.

The hotel is in the process of replacing the ice machines in the guest hallways. In the interim we are delivering complimentary bags of ice to our guests upon request. I am pleased you family enjoyed the breakfast buffet.

Thank you for choosing the Lancaster Host, we appreciate your patronage, and we look forward to having you stay with us in the future.

If I may be of any further service please feel free to contact me directly at hstevens@lancasterhost.com .

New Delhi, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Would not stay here. Left after one night. Old Hotel, needs to be updated. Dirty.
The bathroom was dirty, toilet bowl stained. The sheets were dirty. The door would not close unless slamed. Was hard to keep closed. They did give us another room, which was not much better. Left and went to Holiday Inn express...Lovely!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Trouts63,
Thank you for choosing our hotel during your trip to Lancaster. I apologize for inconveniences you experienced and will use your response to address the issues with the proper team members. The hotel is currently completing bathroom renovations for all of our guest rooms but the process is taking longer than anticipated. We apologize that we were unable to provide you with one of our newly renovated rooms during this stay.
Thanks again for your feedback and personal observations, we hope you had an enjoyable visit to the Lancaster area.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

As I lay awake at 4:30 Saturday morning, lying on lumpy, old, polyfiber pillows I contemplated all the amenities of the Host hotel.

1) We had ordered a cot for my daughter to sleep on which we realized at bedtime was broken so that it tilted to one side. So we ended up dragging the mattress on the dirty floor so she could attempt to sleep. This was an extra $15, a complete rip off.

2)The heating and cooling "system" is a bizarre box where you dial in the temperature you desire and then turn on the fan by clicking up a lightswitch. When the room reaches the temp you need you have to turn the fan off. So either you are sweating hot or completely freezing unless you have time to be vigilant about turning it on and off.

3) In the bathroom is a sink with cracks all around the drain and a toilet that requires me to remove the tank lid and readjust the float that doesn't fit properly in order to prevent it from running and allow the tank to refill.

4)The mirrored closet door was on rusty tracks and would not open and close without fear it would fall out of the frame.

5) The door to the room had a chain lock as well as the standard locks, not sure why safety was such a concern but made me feel like I was misinterpreting my safety in Lancaster.

Needless to say, we checked out the next day and checked into the Country Inn & Suites next door where for the same money we had a lovely suite and breakfast included in the price. Do not waste your money, this place is terribel.

Dear Rally0502,
I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience regarding your stay at our hotel. At the Host we always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I am sorry that neither the bed pillows or roll away bed were satisfactory, I hoped we removed the $15 charge for the roll away, if not please contact me at the hotel.
One call to our Manager On Duty and both items would have been immediately replaced with new items to meet your personal preferences. The hotel is in the process of renovating our guest rooms, as well as guest bathrooms but unfortunately due to business demands the process is moving slower than we prefer for you, our valued guest.
I have taken note of your valuable comments and rest assured, these will be used to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer to our guests. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back again.
Harry Stevens

Been to Lancaster Host Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!