“Great for families with kids and family groups!” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   2300 Lincoln Highway East, Lancaster, PA 17602   |
Ranked #26 of 38 Hotels in Lancaster
GreenLeadersGold level
Mesquite, Texas
“Great for families with kids and family groups!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We were visiting area for a wedding in nearby Akron and the Lancaster Host Resort worked out great for accommodations for our entire family and extended family coming from all over the country. It was a great location for us! We got a great bed & breakfast deal through Travel Zoo and the breakfast was great, so many choices! The breakfast room was large, bright, spacious and we were able to have adjoining tables. The staff was friendly,extremely helpful and accommodating and professional. They went the extra mile for us when the 6th floor wasn't available, due to tour buses, as planned and we were given spacious adjoining rooms on the ballroom floor instead of one room with two beds. As we were there almost a week this was great for 4 women! It had access with a needed elevator. Yes, it isn't a large elevator but it worked fine. It is an older hotel but was clean and spacious and enjoyable. There were a number of places our family could gather and enjoy each other and the play room was great for my young and toddler grandkids and cousins! As it was start of off season, we pretty much had it and the pool to ourselves during the week. The indoor pool was another plus for us as the outdoor pool was closed for the season. Family members with kids were able to get rooms on floor with play area which was nice. Guest services staff at front desk were awesome and to be highly commended for their assistance in making our stay best possible...I really appreciate their assistance, friendliness, and availability on our part...Tammy (long haired cute, slender blond) at desk was amazing as well as her supervisor who I met with in July about our coming visit to the area. Had a little mix up with Travel Zoo reservation on one of the rooms but we had the vouchers and it was worked out with no problems...somehow didn't get put in system correctly. Had a few wifi issues with ipads but not computers do (have had that issue before with ipads). Only negative was toilets on basement level were slow in flushing and draining and refilling at times.Also hall carpet has quite a bit of wear near our room... a crawl space in floor needs to be re-carpeted in that hall (100 rooms). We would definitely stay there again, a great family hotel and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: There are two floors accessible with an elevator, the ball room floor and 6th floor which is rally n...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Harry S, General Manager at Lancaster Host Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We are pleased you enjoyed your visit with us here at the Lancaster Host. We are grateful that you took time to comment regarding your experience and appreciative of your positive review and wonderful scores in each individual category.

Thank you for your thoughtful comments relative to our staff, as for the complimentary WIFI and Ipad issues, we recently upgrade our WIFI service to all areas of the hotel to improve connectivity and bandwith.

Thank you for choosing the Host, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and we appreciate your patronage, and we look forward to seeing you again next year, if not sooner.

If I may be of any further service please feel free to contact me directly at hstevens@lancasterhost.com .

Harry Stevens

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Pittsburgh, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Just returned from a weekend stay with my wife as we were there for the Restore2One Conference. The exterior of the hotel looks really nice w/ the stonework and the lobby is also very welcoming and nice. However there are places in the hotel that don't match the exterior and lobby's efforts. Our room was roomy and clean, so no complaints there. The bathroom sink drained very slowly (about 20% of normal). The door 'stuck', meaning it wouldn't close by itself. The bathroom shower showed it's age. I used the iron to touch up a shirt and before I plugged it in a bug came crawling out of it! No big deal as I made quick work of him/her :)
The room was clean, the bed spacious and the linens clean. Last, our room had a connecting door to the next room and it does a poor job of keeping the noise out of that room, it seemed to be 'paper thin' at times. Same goes for the main door to the room, the noise from the hallway was quite noticeable. Overall, the room itself was quite nice. We attended a conference held in the Expo Center (which you have to leave the hotel to access). On the way outside you see the basketball court with a hoop that no kidding looks like it belongs in a run down playground in a not-so-well-to-do American inner city. It looked like it was 20+ years old and never received any maintenance attention in those years. Something like that can't be that expensive to update. The Tennis Courts didn't appear much better. One of the poles holding the net on one court was actually bent, which meant the net sagged. Apparently the basketball and tennis courts have been relegated to history at this resort as nothing is done to make them presentable which is something I cannot understand.
The Expo Center is the biggest area that the Host would be well served to do something about. The place was like stepping back into the 1980's. There was an odd smell to the place upon entry that my wife and I both noticed. There are two very large lights (added probably within 5-10 years) that are hanging from the ceiling in addition to the regular gymnasium style lights (which buzzed a noticeable amount). One of these lights (neither were turned on) contained some debris, which you could see through the opaque glass. One of the panes of glass on it was clearly broken. It looked like a big piece of junk hanging from the ceiling. In addition there was a cricket somewhere in the room that chirped the whole day (which you can't really blame anyone about, but I am mentioning it), seemingly without stopping. We were provided with lunch and it was very nice and very well put together by the hotel staff. Our first night included a meal also in a ballroom and that was also very nice and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The staff at the check in desk was also very welcoming and helpful and even made an attempt to connect with us on a personal level.
There is even a very nice (updated!) sizable room for younger kids to play in with Mac computers to use and stuff to climb on, etc. If we had our children with us we are sure they'd want to play in this room.
Would I stay here again? Yes. We received a nice discount being part of the group (I found an even better price via Orbitz) and it was convenient location-wise. Compared to what other hotels in the area charge the Lancaster Host is a very good value, if you can overlook the drawbacks.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are VERY FAR from the front desk or Expo Center.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback, your observations are much appreciated.
Portland, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

When you enter the Lobby you feel like you have entered a first class hotel. The young ladies who checked me were pleasant and informative. The hotel seems to have plenty of parking even with a wedding that seemed to be holding their reception here. The problem was that I think they all smoked and chose to do it right at the entrance. There were a couple dozen smokers, some of which had had a little to much to drink blocking the entrance to the hotel which made getting luggage in difficult, and you had to walk through a fog of smoke. Add to this that you have to go up stairs with your bags it was not the best introduction. Later I did find a handicap ramp behind some trees in front of the handicap parking, the problem with it is that it is falling apart. The rock wall in front of it is falling toward the cars, I would not park there this winter as I think if it gets any more water in the wall, the freezing process will push the wall over the rest of the way and rocks will hit the cars parked there. The ramp itself is full of wide cracks and holes where the cement is missing making it a real trip hazard for anyone who is not steady on their feet.
Stepping into the dirty elevator from the lobby should be your first clue, that the lobby does not represent the rest of the hotel, the halls are run down and dirty with a need for real maintenance. My room was clean and while the bed was hard I did get some off and on sleep. The walls are thin so you do hear everything that is going on in the Hall and light comes in around the door so it does not feel as secure as it could. This lack of security was added to by the issue of the door being very hard to lock. The furniture was banged up but again you get what you pay for and it does not add to or take away from your comfort though it does change your experience.
The outdoor pool was closed for the season but the indoor pool was open and again the room looked run down but serviceable. The Fitness room is okay. The business Center is a storage room with an outdated computer. The screen is old and does not work correctly because it causes motion sickness. When I told their IT person (the guy who was setting up for the trade show I was here to attend) after saying he was the IT person told me to tell the front desk that there was a problem, I guess it fell under "not my job" I did not report it to the desk because it was not my job to pass the info on but his.
All of the other staff that I interacted with was pleasant and willing to help.
I spend over 100 nights a year in hotels and I have to say that the TV channel lineup is the worst I have seen. Lots of sports channels, no History or Travel Channel (this is a hotel right) and only 1 news channel. At home this is even below the basic TV package,there were no children's channels that I could find. They of course did have QVC, because so many of us shop when we travel. On Sunday most of the channels were infomercials and sports. It was a good thing I was working. I can deal with hotels that are beat up but I draw the line at crummy TV choices.
Another Issue was the AC, it did not cool the room off and when I mentioned it I was told that yes it was a problem, it would have been nice to open a window.
There are a lot of little things that could be improved that could improve this hotel and the guest experience, while they work on the big things and one of them is product knowledge, an example is below.
They were having a comedy show the evening I checked in, which I would have attended but when I asked if it was clean (Bill Cosby like) or full of swears (Bob Marley like) they were not able to tell me.
One other place I would say that they can improve is in room service: If a guest says 7-7:30 they do not mean 6:45, they could be in the shower while the server is at the door. Go easy on the onions, it seems like a foolish thing but when a large amount of onions are added to meal and sent up to a room their smell will linger all day if the windows do not open. They added at least a whole onion to my omelet and every time I came into the room that was all I smelled.
It is important to remember that you get what you pay for. The lobby is very nice but the rest of the hotel is in need of renovation.
I would have to say that if I was planning to come back to the area (I come a lot) this hotel would not be my first choice.

An explanation of my ratings.
Service - Poor, while most of the people I ran into were pleasant I do not believe that management has given them the tools or authority to fix issues nor do I think that they put service first because of the response I got when I reported the computer screen. And when it comes to issues that are known and not fixed I think it is do to overall poor service.
Value - average, my rate was $89 and for the condition of the hotel I would not expect to pay more.
Sleeping Quality - Poor, I think that they purchased the cheapest mattresses, and the sheets are too small for the bed. The bottom sheet pops off if you move around to much, which you will trying to get comfortable.
Cleanliness - Poor, While my room was clean the rest of the hotel could use a good cleaning, and they can start with the elevator and hall carpets.
Location - Average, If you are coming to the area to shop the location is great but if you are coming to experience Lancaster as a farm community. That being said if it were near fields it would have been spread with manure and the smell would have been really bad this time of year.
Rooms - Average, Based on the rate I paid this room was average, it could be better it could be worse.
Breakfast - Terrible, I ordered room service and because there were so many onions in the omelet the taste was overpowering in an omelet that had mushrooms, peppers and tomatoes in it and it was not an omelet but a breakfast scramble.

Room Tip: Don't overpay, the rooms are clean but the hotel needs a lot of work in many areas. The lobby i...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your wonderful individual scores, we appreciate your observations and feedback. The individual items noted were passed along to their respective departments for follow up. We appreciate your patronage and look forward to you returning again in the future.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We booked over 80 rooms for a weekend church conference. From the very first meeting with the Hotel Staff, EVERYTHING went well. The staff was very professional and bent over backwards to handle emergencies that arose during the weekend. The rooms were ready at check in time as promised. Meeting rooms were clean and set up prior to our arrival.

I strongly recommend this hotel for anyone thinking of booking a large group. I can't wait to work with them again.

Kudos to Billie Frost and Kathy Danz. These are two hotel staff members the hotel should be proud of.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We decided to visit the Lancaster Host Resort, to visit the York County Fair, and to pick up fresh veggies and meat. We always travel with our 2 large dogs, who loved the wide open spaces of this resort. The hotel had a lot of families with small children visiting the amusement park across the street, as well as pet owners.

The rooms are decent, and the hotel restaurant was impressive, as well as the breakfast buffet. There is a comedy club within the hotel, that we will visit next year.

The hotel has potential as being the resort for the kiddie amusement park across the street, if they maybe invest in a kid friendly indoor water park and large arcade. Not the best, but not the worst hotel we have visited, especially if you bring your four legged friends along on vacation.

Room Tip: If traveling with your dogs, request a ground floor room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay at the Lancaster Host Resort in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Host. We are also grateful that you took time to comment regarding your positive experiences and appreciative of your great review.

As your personal observations reflect, our team is committed to continuous improvement in all areas of the hotel, and we are very pleased that you recognized the fruits of our labor for you, our valued guests.

We look forward to your next visit here with us at the Lancaster Host. Please contact me directly if I can be of further assistance.

Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

The Lancaster Host Resort "used to be THE place to stay" when visiting Amish country, having a conference, etc. in central PA. Sadly, the facility is really showing its age. The corridors were dark and dingy, the porcelain in the sink and bathtub was chipped in several places, the room felt old and dank, a room down the hall had the door ajar and damaged and no hardware. We were really disappointed because we paid more than nearby hotels to stay where the class reunion was being held. Having said the above, I do want to say that the room was clean and the meal they served for the reunion was good.
Bottom Line: If there is a next time, we will stay just about anywhere else.

Room Tip: I'm guessing that rooms on the upper levels might be better. We were on the lowest floor, which...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Did you receive the email I sent to you through TripAdvisor? I wanted to gain additional information relative to the validity of certain issues you cited in your review. Please contact me directly at hstevens@lancasterhost.com so I may learn more of the details as reported in your review.
Did you contact the front desk or the manager on duty and request a change in room location? We would of been pleased to move your room to another location in the hotel. If you were referring to the rooms in 100s hallway on the Ballroom level, yes they were guest rooms at one time now they are utilized as storage rooms.
As many other reviews indicate the Lancaster Host is great place to stay while you are in the Lancaster area, I am disappointed that our facility did not meet your expectations.
Hopefully you can visit again sometime in the future and see the results of our continuous improvement plans.
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Immediately, upon entering the door to the corridor where our hotel room was located, we knew something was wrong. All of the rooms in our hallway had their locks removed so we wondered what was the reason. When we entered our room, it was nothing short of disgusting. There was mold on the ceiling of the closet, the comforter was filthy, the toilet had not been cleaned, and the furniture was in deplorable condition. Unfortunately, we were in Lancaster for a funeral and couldn't be bothered to start complaining. We also noticed that the hotel reserves the right to withhold the entire payment if we cancelled. However, on the fifth day of our stay, we experienced the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back." When my wife was showering, she noticed a bulge in the ceiling of the shower and rusty, cold water started dripping on her as she showered - it just got progressively worse - someone in the room above was showering and there must have been a leak in the shower. All of this on top of the fact that our room was cleaned for three days, but the maid didn't leave us towels. We had to take a long walk (no one at the front desk ever answered the phone) to ask for towels. Fortunately, the hotel agreed to let us check out early without penalty and we checked into a beautiful hotel in Lancaster. When my wife did ask why the rooms were closed in our area, the front desk employee told her that these rooms were beyond repair. Stay away from this property!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Please accept my sincere apology for the unusual issues you experienced. I have sent a private email to you through the TripAdvisor website; I hope you will respond with the additional information we have requested.
We thank you for bringing these issues to our attention, if I can be of further service please contact me at 717.299.5500.
Harry Stevens

Been to Lancaster Host Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!