“run down” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Lester, Pennsylvania
“run down”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed here a few times for a conference each time I see more of the hotel and they should put money back in to it. Great location close to shopping and Dutch Wonderland. When I arrived it was raining cars where in line to get the small car port, UP the steeps to the desk, they were nice and friendly no problem with any of the staff. room was clean had wet carpets near the outside door and windows . pillows were small,bed was just ok towels are starting to show age not as soft as I would like. There was some noise from the fans from the heat vents. we stayed two night they did clean the room but did not leave extra shampoo, no pens or paper in room for notes. Hallway had papers (trash) on them did see someone cleaning up 14 hours later. food was just ok, indoor pool was nice no hot tub.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I have the unfortunate luck of having to return to the Lancaster Host every year for a conference. I have been coming here since 2005. I travel yearly, and this is hands down one of the worst hotels I am forced to stay in. Let's begin by entering the hotel. There are steps everywhere so you need to drag your bags up or down several flights of stairs to get to your room. Yes, there are entrances outside, but there are still stairs you need to bang your suitcase up to get to your room. As you walk to your room pay attention to the empty food trays, glasses and coffee pitchers outside the rooms. They will remain there for several days even after housekeeping is finished cleaning for the day. This is an ongoing problem, remember, I have been coming here since 05. It is not the guests responsibility to call the desk and ask housekeeping to pick up dirty dishes. The rooms have been redone but lipstick on a pig is still just a made up pig. The rooms are dirty. On the surface they look clean, but there are not enough outlets to plug in a computer, phone and coffee pot. I was forced to look behind the bed, tables and dressers for a plug. That furniture, including the bed has not been cleaned for a very long time. The tub was peeling paint, I needed to keep the coffee pot on the floor and unplug a lamp to make coffee. The TV is from the 80's only a few channels. No free HBO, no free continental breakfast. Some rooms are too hot, some too cold. You can call engineering but it won't be fixed. The food. My first night there, the salad was pretty good. The second night, they served us the leftover salad from the first night with wilted, soggy lettuce. The honeydew had that tangy taste fruit gets when it is turning bad and there is so much heaviness and grease to the food I was sick every time I ate it, which was only twice. I went up to Pannera Bread by Target for fresh food. If you need wheelchair accessibility there is lift that you need to call someone from the desk to operate, you will not be moving unencumbered around this hotel. I am sure after reading this the manager will tell us how he is working on the hotel to update it and make it wonderful for guests. Trust me, there is no updating. I have encountered these problems for years. I think they get away with these problems because they can accommodate large conferences. If you are coming to Lancaster for a visit, do not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Ithaca, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My room was clean, and had decent amenities and a comfortable bed. The bathroom and common areas have an overall worn, dated feeling to them, but are basically fine and functional. What is worth commenting on is the walk from the common areas to my room. I wish I had timed it – I bet it was almost a 5 minute walk. Granted, I think my room was about as far out as it could be, but I wasn’t expecting that. I was there for a conference and the idea of going back to my room during the short breaks wasn’t feasible – I would have used up all my spare time just for the walk to my room and back. In fact, the first night, a group of us went out to dinner and I went out into the cold February night without a coat because I didn’t have time to go get it! For the rest of my stay, I placed my coat on one of the coat racks in the lobby so I didn’t have the same issue the next day for lunch and dinner. The corridor out to the rooms makes slight turns every so often so you can’t see continuously from one end to the other. I’m sure that’s purposeful – if you could see how far you were going, you would sit down on the floor and cry or something. I also noticed, the few times I did make the trek (and actually after sitting all day, it was kindof nice to really walk) that people who had ordered room service and left their trays out in the hallway – those trays stayed on the hallway floor for hours and hours. If I stayed here again, I’d try requesting a room a bit closer in.

Room Tip: request a room close to the main hotel/common areas
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Akron, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Our Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation chapter has been having our annual banquet at the Host for the past 6 years and keep coming back for the excellent food, beautiful venue and helpful staff. Raquel Sanchez, the Host's catering manager has gone out of her way to check and recheck all aspects of the banquet before, during and after the event to be sure everything went well. I would recommend this facility to anyone needing a venue for a reception, party, banquet or any kind of celebration.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Springfield, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

The Host offers ample room for meetings, conventions etc. The layout is well designed and the place would be perfect for a business stay if it didn't look a little bit run down. For example, the gym consisted of 5 machines - 3 of them totally broken and 2 barely in working order. It should actually be closed. The staff apologized in embarrassment and I began to wonder about the management. On three occassions the cleaning staff came into our room without knocking, which was really annoying. They weren't very friendly and lacked some basic training. It took them almost an entire day to collect a few dirty trays from the hallways.The pool on the other hand was really nice, water clean and temperature good. The room was large and clean but way too warm. Luckily we could open a balcony door because the thermostat could not be adjusted. The bathroom looked somewhat cheap and outdated and the sink had ugly cracks. We had dinner once in the restaurant. Food was good, but the place had an open kitchen which gave the restaurant the flair of a fast food place and so did the waiters, who were all dressed in what looked like black jog suites. Breakfast was typical American, eggs, sausage, bacon and potatoes etc., nothing special and the room lacked atmosphere, too. The location is great, not far from anything. Another plus is the adjacent golf course offers a nice 1.9 mile trail for walking. With a little more attention to detail this could be a great place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Wyomissing, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We had an enjoyable time here even though when we arrived the place was crowded with Civil War gaming. Staff was very courteous and helpful. Down side was the room was 82 degrees and the technician couldn't do anything because AC wasn't on yet. He actually helped us get another room and had our things moved. This room was very hot, too, due to a space heater going full blast in the corner. Turned it off and unplugged it and it was fine. Rooms were very clean and the walking trail around the golf course was lovely. When the hotel cleared out Sunday we had the place practically to ourselves. Food good and indoor pool lovely. Will definitely stay again if the opportunity arises. Next time asking for an interior pool side room. We saw that they have doors and a balcony.

Room Tip: Stay on the interior pool side as the doors open to a balcony.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We recently stayed at the Host and had such a pleasant experience. The Host is a Lancaster classic, in a perfect location and the rooms are impeccably clean and modern. We had a huge flat screen TV and a lovely view of the pool area from our balcony (I'll be back in the summer to enjoy!). The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful and even remembered our names at the front desk. We will be back for a couples retreat as well as with the kiddos.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lancaster Host Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!