“Terrific Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
New Jersey
“Terrific Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We recently traveled to Lancaster on a very snowy night for a surprise party. After travel for almost 3 hours, we arrived at the hotel. We had a easy check-in and absolutely had the most wonderful room. After such a long drive in, it was nice to have a nice room to relax in. Also, it was great knowing we could go right to the lobby for a drink. It is a very spacious hotel with many things to do and a great location for all the Lancaster County Attractions. My husband and I had a wonderful visit and are already planning our next stay at the Host.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Harry S, General Manager at Lancaster Host Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay at the Lancaster Host Resort in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

We are pleased you and your family enjoyed your stay with us here at the Host. We are also grateful that you took time to comment regarding your positive experiences and appreciative of your great review.

As your personal observations reflect, our team is committed to continuous improvement in all areas of the hotel, and we are very pleased that you recognized the fruits of our labor for you, our valued guests.

We look forward to your next visit here with us at the Lancaster Host. Please contact me directly at hstevens@lancasterhost.com if I can be of further assistance.

575 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We got a Groupon for this place for $53 and that's the max I think I would be willing to pay. The place is big and the room was nice and clean and the bed was very comfy but the whole place is outdated. The carpets were old, the bathroom was not updated and the whole place just had a stagnated feel to it. The gym machines looked like they were from the 80s. Overall, it's clean but not worth more than $50/ night

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

We are pleased you enjoyed your visit with us here at the Lancaster Host. We are grateful that you took time to comment regarding your experience and appreciative of your positive review and wonderful scores in each individual category.

As for the overall condition of the hotel; I can assure you that our hotel management team as well as our corporate team is dedicated to an ongoing program to update the facility as funding is available, unfortunately this may not happen as quickly as we would like for our guests.

Thank you for choosing the Host, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and we appreciate your patronage, and we look forward to seeing you again next year, if not sooner.

If I may be of any further service please feel free to contact me directly at hstevens@lancasterhost.com .

Lewistown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

In its day, this resort would have been extravagant. Today, it leaves a lot to be desired. The free wireless internet was sporadic in the room - had to go to the lobby to have access. Room was nice and large and the bed was very comfortable - could have used another chair. A lot of stairs for my wife who has a problem with stairs.

Room Tip: Request a room close to the lobby. Some are a looooong way from the lobby.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to submit your personal observations regarding your recent stay here at the Lancaster Host. Please accept my sincere apology relative to the difficulty you experienced with logging onto the free WIFI service.

As the majority of our reviews indicate, the Lancaster Host is a wonderful place to stay while you are in the Lancaster area due to its central location and its unique family amenities.

We look forward to having you visit with us again; please feel free to contact me directly at hstevens@lancasterhost.com

Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Currently staying at this "resort" to attend a conference. The best that I can say is that this hotel is easy to find. This "resort" is seriously in need of an overhaul - not just in the rooms but in the way that the hotel is managed as well. I arrived last night and had an easy check in but just about collapsed due to heat stress when I entered my room. The heating system here apparently only either heats or cools the ENTIRE hotel. Thus, each room has a space heater supplied along with the wall thermostat and it is impossible to cool a room individually. My room must have been at 90F when I walked in so I then tried to call the front desk to find out how I could cool it down (no windows open). Unfortunately, the phone was dead, so I grabbed my stuff and walked, and walked and walked (I am not exaggerating the distance from the back rooms to the lobby) back to the front desk. The front desk clerk was apologetic and ran down to check another room before I moved in - basically she went down and unplugged the space heater and turned off the thermostat. The temperature in that room was fine however, the decor and electronics are seriously dated. No flat screen TVs and relatively sporadic internet service (although it is free). This hotel does have a small fitness area with 1 each treadmill, elliptical, weight machine and stationary bicycle - that room was pleasantly cool and equipped with a large flat screen TV. I was the only one who I saw using it. The only downside was that I had to walk right through the lobby to get to it. I also was not pleased when I discovered that there was no hairdrier in my room, although a quick stop at the front desk did result in a speedy delivery. On the positive side - my bed was comfortable and the water in the shower was hot. My room is relatively clean but the housekeepers today seemed to skip the coffee maker and basically the overall attitude is one of mediocrity. This hotel was probably last updated in the 80s and really isn't up to the standards of today.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

During your visit the hotel was in the midst of replacing two of our four boilers which had the potential to decrease the amount of heat available to guest rooms. As a precautionary measure, the hotel purchased small (safe) heaters and placed them in certain guest rooms to ensure sufficient heat for our guests.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We booked a room at the Lancaster Host Resort in January of 2013 through a Groupon deal. After booking our room, I went online and found dissappointing reviews. I was very nervous about it until we got there. I must say, we were pleasantly surprised. The rooms were very nice and clean. The heat was set higher then we liked so we set the thermostat back when we first entered the room. The indoor pool was absolutly beautiful and clean and yes, in service !!. They have a very nice play room for young children. The workout equipment in the exercise room was clean and in working order. There was a TV in the workout area as well. Each and every person of the staff that we came in contact with was very polite, accomodating and as pleasant as the day is long. Some of the carpets do still need to be replaced because of being old, but they were clean. We will definatly be back !! Very relaxing and enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The hotel staff and the lobby were nice, that accounts for the one star. The hallway to our room had low, stained ceilings and stained carpet. Upon entering our room we were greeted by a pungent aroma of cleaning fluid, the room was dismal, the door to the adjoining room was so warped that it would not fully close. The air vent had brown stains around it, the bed was slightly softer than concrete and then there was the bathroom.....the shower was dripping, the finish around the tub drain was cracked and broken off, the toilet was dirty and required several flushes to clear. We checked out within 30 minutes of checking in and the staff did not even ask why??? Unbelieveable, we went to the Best Western Eden Resort, it was beautiful and well worth the extra $36 per night.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to submit your personal observations regarding your recent stay here at the Lancaster Host. Please accept my sincere apology relative to the issues you allegedly faced, we have investigated and resolved them accordingly.

Wantagh, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

While the hotel staff sought to accommodate and address the issues above it was certainly an uncomfortable experience. We were upgraded to an executive suite after our initial room was found in disrepair -soiled carpets, phone not working , refrigerator 25$ for stay was filthy and toilet was unclean, space heater in room. In the suite we found 3 live stink bugs ( identified as such by hotel staff) and about 10 dead ones along the drapery line ( there is no excuse for shoddy housecleaning especially when the staff is aware of this bug issue). There was a huge volleyball invitational and no vacancy anywhere or we would have relocated. The lobby while nice smelled of cigarette smoke upon entering. I don't recommend this hotel. Staff members, Yvette, Parish and Jessie did their best to assist but I do NOT recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Harry S, General Manager at Lancaster Host Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to submit your personal observations regarding your recent stay here at the Lancaster Host. Please accept my sincere apology relative to the issues you allegedly faced. We have investigated and resolved them accordingly as best we can as submissions are anonymous in nature.

Although TripAdvisor is a wonderful tool, the scores and the hotel’s subsequent ranking are calculated based on reviews from only 390 guests over the past few years. The submitted reviews are not verified by TripAdvisor as the website is unregulated.

Last year over 70,000 guests stayed here with us at the Lancaster Host. Only 111 guests submitted reviews to TripAdvisor. Of these 111 reviews forty two (or 37%) were classified as “negative” leaving 63% of the reviews classified as either positive or neutral. Even though the majority of our reviews are positive, we continue to make strides on a daily basis to improve the guest experience here at the Lancaster Host.

To this end, last fall the hotel enlisted the services of an independent third party vendor who sends a questionnaire style survey to each guest, post check out, guest participation is optional.

To date with five times the number of total responses versus TripAdvisor, 81% of our guests reported an overall positive guest experience which is significantly higher than what is reflected on the TripAdvisor site. Furthermore each and every one of our guest responses have been verified and they were indeed a guest of the hotel.

As you can read, we value each and every one of our guests; if and when we make a mistake, we admit to it and if possible, take immediate corrective action to ensure complete guest satisfaction. Our goal is for our guests to have a positive experience, enjoy their stay here, and return again to the Host.

We look forward to having you stay with us in the near future. If I may be of additional service, or if you have a question please feel free to contact me at hstevens@lancasterhost.com.

Harry Stevens

Been to Lancaster Host Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!