“Wonderful family vacation” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Wonderful family vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We brought our children and grandchildren to the hotel for a three day family reunion. Although the rooms, themselves, were just OK, the staff and overall facilities were great. There was a nice variety of food, and a lot of it, at breakfast. Due to dietary restrictions, we brought along our own food for dnner, which the staff willingly refrigerated and heated for us. We had dinners outside on the patio near the pool. We were able to use part of the conference center because it wasn't in use. There's a separate play room with slides and climbing equipment that our granchildren (age 4 and under) loved. The indoor pool was also a big hit. Being across the highway from Dutch Wonderland and a short drive to Cherry Crest Farms was really convenient. Our children and grandchildren would like to go back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Harry S, General Manager at Lancaster Host Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay at the Lancaster Host Resort in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

We are pleased you and your family enjoyed your stay with us here at the Host. We are also grateful that you took time to comment regarding your positive experiences and appreciative of your great review.

As your personal observations reflect, our team is committed to continuous improvement in all areas of the hotel, and we are very pleased that you recognized the fruits of our labor for you, our valued guests.

We look forward to your next visit here with us at the Lancaster Host. Please contact me directly at hstevens@lancasterhost.com if I can be of further assistance.

Harry Stevens

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Newtown, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I just returned from a stay at this place...the last time was 35 years ago. It looks like nothing has changed. The white towels and sheets were worn, dingy and grey with age....and I refused to use the bedspread. The sink had rust and shower trickled out. The heater unit ran all night, loud and smelled.
I stayed on the ground level...it felt like and smelled like a basement. Damp, mildew, dank and dark.
I met a number of people who were from the local area attending a bridge tournament and they said "don't eat at the hotel".

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
pa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

As many have said, this place is not a resort. I too, had to have a room changed because of dead flies and bugs everywhere! From the bed to the floor and even the tables were covered with them. The heat did not work at all and dust covered everything. I was moved to another room that was a bit better but staff seemed not surprised of my disgust of their room. I was here for a conference and was able to experience the food as well. The lack of clean items was apparent from the dirty dishes they were serving the breakfast buffet on to the unwashed coffee cups (4) at my table. The food was dry and looked gross.. I went home tired and hungry. The only good thing about this place was the location of the outlets, however, there are tons of hotels in the area. Do yourself a favor and pic a different place to stay even if your conference is here. I will NEVER stay here again!

Room Tip: Do not stay here...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Harry S, General Manager at Lancaster Host Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit your personal observations regarding your recent stay here at the Lancaster Host. Please accept my sincere apology relative to the unique scenarios you experienced as described in your review.
As the majority of our reviews indicate, the Lancaster Host is a wonderful place to stay while you are in the Lancaster area; I am disappointed that our facility did not meet your expectations.
The management team has reviewed your comments and launched an investigation and will take appropriate actions as warranted. Did you receive the email I sent to you through TripAdvisor? I wanted to gain additional information relative to certain issues you cited in your review. If not, please contact me directly at hstevens@lancasterhost.com.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Very clean! But old and needs some repairs in guest rooms. Peeling ceiling over shower. Noisy heater all night long. Needs more plugs for electronics.
Buffet breakfast is delicious and has a wonderful array of choices. Something for everyone.
The main lobby is beautifully decorated for Christmas!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Aston, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

i recently had the pleasure of attending a conference there with approximately 700 colleagues.the staff was very friendly,accomodating,patient,helpful and courteous. The place could use some updating but after all i wasn't staying at the trump tower.there was more than enough room for everything my group had going on.we were provided with a breakfast buffet on both days which was ABUNDANT.also there was a dinner buffety the first night with more than an ample amount of choices.the food was good, the service was pleasant,my room was clean and i didn't go broke going there.i will be looking forward to returning next year!

Aston, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is about the only place in the area that has the room to accommodate the size of the conference I was attending. It is a continuing education conference and we have been coming to the Host for many, many years. While the lobby area is nice and spacious, the conference rooms and hotel rooms are showing their age. It is beginning to look dingy and as though an updating is sorely needed.

The staff are extremely friendly and courteous meeting our every need. The stay was very enjoyable because at this particular conference I had the opportunity to reconnect with people I have not have seen in years. But as a venue it is beginning to look a bit tired.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
We are pleased to read you enjoyed your conference as well as your visit here with us at the Lancaster Host. We are grateful that you took time to post your comments regarding your experience and appreciative of your positive review and wonderful scores in each individual category.

As for the overall condition of the hotel; I can assure you that our hotel management team as well as our corporate team is dedicated to an ongoing program to update the facility as funding is available, unfortunately this may not happen as quickly as we would like.

Thank you for choosing the Host, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and we appreciate your patronage, and we look forward to seeing you again next year, if not sooner.

If I may be of any further service please feel free to contact me directly at hstevens@lancasterhost.com

Gilbertsville, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed here Nov 12-14 for a conference. I will start with my first impressions. The overall feeling i got was outdated.. outdated lobby area and conference rooms. I think there is potential for a good modern updated, but it would need to be overhauled. There was a musty smell throughout the hotel and in the conference rooms which got worse in some areas. The front desk staff and all of the staff were super super helpful and nice and always on top of clearing plates, being polite and helpful, i can't stress that enough.. Good job!!! When i got to my room, it was tidy, but the everything just looked dingy and old and therefore I never felt overly comfortable. My room was warm and when i tried to adjust the temperature with the archaic thermostat and fan, it didn't work. I tried calling the front desk, but my phone also didn't work. When I got to the front desk, the staff was helpful again and changed my room without any problems. In my next room, I had similar impression... musty smell, dingy, etc. At least I could adjust the temperature of the room. Since I travel for work frequently, I do not pack my own toiletries. The ones in this hotel weren't very good, I would recomment bringing your own. The food that I had was average, but it was served buffet style to serve a large amount of people attending the conference. I would not book this hotel for a stay or recommend it. There are also smoking rooms which you can smell throughout the hotel. The gym did not open early enough although the staff was willing to open it earlier for us and there was a small lap pool. The only thing about this hotel that impressed me was the consistent helpful and friendly staff. Unfortunately that is not enough for me to recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend this hotel so i would not recommend any room. If you decide to stay I woul...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to submit your personal observations regarding your recent stay here at the Lancaster Host. Please accept my sincere apology relative to the difficulty you experienced with operating the HVAC and the dead telephone.
As for the overall condition of the hotel; I can assure you that our hotel management team as well as our corporate team is dedicated to an ongoing program to update the facility as funding is available, unfortunately this may not happen as quickly as we would like for our guests.

Am pleased to read the hotel staff were accommodating, professional and friendly, as they truly the heart and soul of this hotel.

As the majority of our reviews indicate, the Lancaster Host is a wonderful place to stay while you are in the Lancaster area due to its central location and its unique family amenities.

Harry Stevens

Been to Lancaster Host Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!