“Outdated and dingy” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Gilbertsville, Pennsylvania
“Outdated and dingy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed here Nov 12-14 for a conference. I will start with my first impressions. The overall feeling i got was outdated.. outdated lobby area and conference rooms. I think there is potential for a good modern updated, but it would need to be overhauled. There was a musty smell throughout the hotel and in the conference rooms which got worse in some areas. The front desk staff and all of the staff were super super helpful and nice and always on top of clearing plates, being polite and helpful, i can't stress that enough.. Good job!!! When i got to my room, it was tidy, but the everything just looked dingy and old and therefore I never felt overly comfortable. My room was warm and when i tried to adjust the temperature with the archaic thermostat and fan, it didn't work. I tried calling the front desk, but my phone also didn't work. When I got to the front desk, the staff was helpful again and changed my room without any problems. In my next room, I had similar impression... musty smell, dingy, etc. At least I could adjust the temperature of the room. Since I travel for work frequently, I do not pack my own toiletries. The ones in this hotel weren't very good, I would recomment bringing your own. The food that I had was average, but it was served buffet style to serve a large amount of people attending the conference. I would not book this hotel for a stay or recommend it. There are also smoking rooms which you can smell throughout the hotel. The gym did not open early enough although the staff was willing to open it earlier for us and there was a small lap pool. The only thing about this hotel that impressed me was the consistent helpful and friendly staff. Unfortunately that is not enough for me to recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend this hotel so i would not recommend any room. If you decide to stay I woul...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Harry S, General Manager at Lancaster Host Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit your personal observations regarding your recent stay here at the Lancaster Host. Please accept my sincere apology relative to the difficulty you experienced with operating the HVAC and the dead telephone.

Am pleased to read the hotel staff were accommodating, professional and friendly, as they truly the heart and soul of this hotel.

As the majority of our reviews indicate, the Lancaster Host is a wonderful place to stay while you are in the Lancaster area due to its central location and its unique family amenities.

Respectfully yours,
Harry Stevens

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

I was at the resort for a 2 day meeting. It's a wonderful place to have your meetings or marketing expo. There is plenty of space for anything. It has its own place to eat with a indoor and outdoor pool. I will have to go back in the summer to fully enjoy the surroundings. It's right across from Duth Wonder Land. Great for family fun. Plenty of shopping and other food spots to eat on Rt. 30. Try it out..

• Stayed November 2012
greensburg, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We have been coming to this hotel for my husband's annual continung education conference for close to twenty years. The hotel is far from being as nice as it used to be. The updating and upkeep is not consistent throughout the facilty. While the drapes and bedspread looked newer and fresh....the bathroom faucet and knobs were old and very dirty. ...the shower worn and dingy. Our room had four mismatched outdated lamps....almost like they had found them at various flea markets. We usually enjoy walking around the golf course on the backtopped walking path. But this year the backtop paving had so many holes and irregularities in it that it made walking difficult and unpleasant. While we were there a major portion of the lobby was curtained off as they tried to fix a leak in the ceiling. Years ago you would have entered the lobby and gotten a feeling of "Wow...I feel so special to be staying here!"....this year my initial impression was "Wow is this place looking old and worn out.....why is the conference being held here??"

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
We are pleased to read you enjoyed your conference as well as your visit here with us at the Lancaster Host. We are grateful that you took time to post your comments regarding your experience and appreciative of your review and wonderful scores in three of five categories.

As for the overall condition of the hotel; I can assure you that our hotel management team as well as our corporate team is dedicated to an ongoing program to update the facility as funding is available, unfortunately this may not happen as quickly as we would like for our guests. We did repair the leak in the main lobby, was unfortunate timing, but we expedited the repair.

If I may be of any further service please feel free to contact me directly at hstevens@lancasterhost.com

Respectfully yours,
Harry Stevens
Loudonville, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Prior reviews were bad, and expected the worst. But the Hotel and our room was clean and neat, service was good, and the amenities were perfect for October. Nice running course around the golf course was very relaxing. Close to everything Amish, with a little Outlet shopping thrown in. Would recommend for sure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We had our reception at the Lancaster Host (about 85 people). My husband and I were thrilled with everything. The food was great, our reception room was set up perfectly and looked beatiful. The wedding coordinator Raquel Sanchez, went out of her way to make sure we had everything we needed and that every detail was taken care of. I can't express how wonderful it was to be able to sit back and just enjoy the reception, instead of worrying about how everything was going. We found the staff to be professional, kind and very willing to go above and beyond their usual duties. They were even very gracious about letting our reception run longer than orginally planned, as everyone was dancing and having a blast, thus causing the staff to have to say longer. They coudnt' have been nicer about it :) We would highly recommend The Host and Raquel if you are planning a reception. Plus out of town family could stay right at the hotel so no worries about drinking and driving. My new husband and I got a free room for the night too !!

Woodbridge, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed here in October 2012 because our convention was being held here. Our first inkling that the hotel wasn't doing maintenance was when we came in the back entrance (entrance G) was trying to climb the concrete steps--the edges where you step were worn away and had rebar showing through. I suppose the collection of orange and red safety cones on the steps may appease a safety inspector. I kept taking pictures of the new designs of the cones. The room was slightly better-the bathroom sink faucet wasn't fastened down and the shower head worked everywhere but where you expected it (yes, did report the bathroom items to the front desk who mentioned in passing that they thought that the faucet problem sounded familiar). They also appeared to have minimal staff working the breakfast buffet-I bussed my own table and got my own silverware setup on more than one of the three days we were there. We tried to catch a quick lunch during the convention but gave up when we couldn't get even our drink order before it was time to go back due to minimal staffing (there were a lot of empty tables so crowding wasn't the problem). Also saw holes in the ceiling of one of our convention meeting rooms. Other than the lack of facility maintenance and understaffing the convention space and rooms were OK.

York, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

It is my experience that most venues do not want the business of Class Reunions-- they can't make the money on them like a wedding reception. Or they have outrageous room rentals, cash bar minimum sales requirements, and dinners start at very high prices. But, Raquel Sanchez and the Host were really good to work with. She accommodated my requests and helped me minimize the price as much as possible, without being "cheap". Raquel was good to work with, and the person name Karl, who was in charge of the Paradise Room the night of the reunion was very friendly, willing and helpful, too.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Lancaster Host Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!