“Souvenirs I Didn't Want” 2 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2100 Lincoln Hwy E. (Rt. 30 East), Lancaster, PA 17602   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #22 of 38 Hotels in Lancaster
Philadelphia, USA
“Souvenirs I Didn't Want”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I debated over reviewing, but a phone conversation pushed me over.

If you've read any of my other reviews you know they are generally positive. If an establishment is clean and the staff is reasonably polite I consider it a win.

This past weekend my family and I rented two rooms for one night here. While the place has certainly seen better days, it wasn't smelly or outwardly dirty, so we were fine with it. What we were not fine with were the insect bites I woke up with. When I got up in the morning I went to the bathroom and saw a line of bites on my neck. Clearly a case of bedbugs!

My husband was going to inform the staff at the registration office just to let them know they had a problem. But because it was crowded he felt we should contact the hotel once we got home. I called the next day and spoke with someone (I did get the name but I'm not out to publicly shame) who was cordial enough, until I mentioned they might have a bedbug problem. Her tone quickly shifted from polite to irritated and impatient.

As I was just calling as a courtesy, a simple thank you would have been lovely. An apology was more than I expected. As it turned out neither was offered. Truly not the best way to handle the situation. But what REALLY bothered me was that she gave me the impression that they'd known about the problem and were still booking rooms that have been infested.

Safe to say I will NEVER book here again. And I'll probably end up spending lots of money to exterminate my house in addition to dumping everything in the laundry as soon I we got home.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Jersey Shore, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

2nd time I have stayed here, and it was very pleasant. The rooms were better cleaned and the front desk ladies helpful. I believe her name was Chantel and daliha, she welcomed us with a big smile as we walked in. They recommended that we visit kitchen kettle village while I visiting and had so much fun. Anytime I am I the area I will stay at the Budget host.

Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 6 days ago
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that our staff provided excellent service; excellent customer service is a priority of our staff. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to host your family and I look forward to seeing you during your next stay with us!
West Babylon, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My friend and I stayed from 10/25/14 - 10/28/14 for our yearly girls vacation..We had stayed here last year and were happy with the hotel. The room was clean and the breakfast was the best we have had at any place we have stayed in the Lancaster are..We were checked in by BRINDHA and THIREN who were very friendly and professional. We chatted with them and had a few laughs while checking in.They were so nice that we stopped at the front desk every evening after returning from our day out. We normally do not stay on the weekends & will try to stay during the when we when return. The hotel was booked solid and there were a lot of kids at breakfast cutting into the line and taking enough food and furit to feed a crowd. That is not the Hotels fault that parents were not in control of their kids and didn't teach them any manners.Two breakfast times would be nice, one for adults without children and one for families.We will stay here on all out future trips to Lancaster.
Happy shoppers from NY

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 1 week ago
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that our staff provided excellent service; excellent customer service is a priority of our staff. The free hot breakfast is a popular feature of our hotel and is always a hit with families. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to host your friends and I look forward to seeing you during your next stay with us!
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

SUMMARY. If you have kids under the age of 8, this is a wonderful place to spend time in the "Caribbean Indoor Water Park" and the indoor heated pool. The free hot breakfast is also a great perk. Rooms were clean and spacious for the price.
We went in October - so there were plenty of rooms.

PROs:
- Check-in. We were a party of twelve and had three rooms reserved. The young ladies at check-in, Chantel, Dalia, and Michelle, treated us incredibly well. We were allowed to use the waterpark at 11:00am (check-in is at 3:00pm). By noon, we were told two of the three rooms were available, so we were able to unpack. Each room comes with four passes to the water park (as we purchased this package).
- Rooms. We did not have a suite, but the room came with a mini-refrigerator, free HBO, and free WiFi. Two of the three rooms were adjoining. Ice machines worked in the hallway. Shower was clean, no bugs anywhere, and the carpeting did not have that musty smell that some places have. The pillows and beds were very comfortable.
- Indoor water park. This was a great size: parents/grandparents could sit on the side and see the entire area. Plenty of life guards, and enjoyable areas. The hot tub was roomy. We did not go on the larger slides (there are two I believe). There are lockers available (it is $.25 to lock with a key, but you get the quarter back ... unlike Great Wolf Lodge which charges $10.00).
Indoor heated pool. I did not personally go, but some in our party did and said it was comfortable and a very nice size.
- Breakfast. A very nice selection: make-your-own waffles, cereals, toast, bagels, muffins, fruit, coffee (just to name a few items). Plenty of room with nice furniture.
Check-out. We were able to check-out by calling - which we greatly enjoyed. Check-out is at 11:00
- Location. Located right on route 30, there were plenty of places to eat, shop (outlet stores), and be "tourist-y"

CONs:
I really had to dig to find negatives, but there were a few very small things
- you could not reserve multiple rooms on the website, which is why we had to call. I reserved about six months beforehand, and the first - and second - time I called to confirm, my reservation had "disappeared". I'd suggest saving information on when/with whom you speak to ensure you really have a reservation. My third time, I reserved with a manager (but I still checked to ensure I had a reservation).
- the water in the indoor water park was rather chilly. The grandkids' teeth were chattering (they did not want to leave), but we would switch from the hot tub to the other areas
I really think that was it.

I almost don't want to give such a positive review. If more people knew the bargain they could get (off-season) for this place, we might not be able to have the place almost to ourselves. But, it was really a fun time for the kids - and you could not beat the price!

Laura J M
Shippensburg, PA

Room Tip: We were on the second floor near door "E". The rooms were quiet and updated. A/Cs were not...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that our staff provided excellent service; excellent customer service is a priority of our staff. I am glad to hear that you and your family had a great time at the Caribbean Indoor Water Park, attached to our hotel. The free hot breakfast is a popular feature of our hotel and is always a hit with families. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to host your family and I look forward to seeing you during your next stay with us!
Milroy, Pennsylvania, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was very disappointed with my stay...nothing worked!!! Our first evening here, the remote control didn't work so, I manually turned on the TV and only had "snow". There was nothing that listed what channels were available so, I called down to the front desk. The girl I spoke with didn't seem to know anything, and said "someone" would come fix it. I got tired of waiting, so we decided to go check out the restaurant (that is listed under hotel amenities)-there is NONE!!! When I asked the girl at the front desk about it, she got snitty with me and said that I couldn't have seen that on their website BUT, she would check it out, and call me-I'm still waiting on that phone call (and "restaurant" is still listed as an amenity). I went back to my room to access the "high speed wifi" in order to check out the website, in case I owed her an apology....couldn't get online. I called the front desk, AGAIN (keep in mind, I've never had to complain at a hotel before), and told them about the remote, TV, and wifi. Was told that "he" was checking in a guest and then he would be down. When "he" got here, he managed to get the TV working, but couldn't tell me what channels were available, or how to get a tv listing. After about 10 mins. of trying to get me connected to the internet, he picked up the phone, pushed some buttons, and told me the would have to "reboot in 20 minutes"-and he took the remote control with him. When we got back from dinner, the remote control was back, but only some of the buttons worked-some of them were worn off,and others you couldn't tell what they were for (minor things, I know, but an inconvenience). Wanted to set the alarm clock, and it didn't work....neither did the exhaust fan in the bathroom. The "whirlpool" that is listed under amenities, is located INSIDE the water park and can only be accessed if you purchase a water park ticket-what a rip off!!! The only "microwave" I saw was at the front desk-on the opposite side of the building-again,very inconvenient considering the layout of the motel. If they're too cheap to put them in the rooms, they could at least put one next to each ice/soda machine. The room was very clean, but very noisy....I could hear people outside talking, I could hear people in the halls, and I could hear the kids running upstairs....not to mention knowing every time someone came in or out of the building-which made for a restless night. The only "redeeming" quality (other than the clean room) was the breakfast "buffet". It consisted of:eggs, sausage, waffles, bagels/toast/pastries, cold cereals, oatmeal, yogurt, and fresh fruit. They also had coffee,tea,hot chocolate,milk, and a couple different juices. The food was fresh and hot and, despite the place being packed, we didn't have to wait on anything. Lesson learned-the next time, I'll spend an extra $20, and stay at one of the places up the street!!! PS-the staff knew I wasn't happy, and I even stated that I wanted to leave and go somewhere else-they pretended not to hear me. Unfortunately, I was not able to find other, more suitable, accommodations...most of the affordable places are booked up.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
I apologize for the condition of the room you were assigned. Items that weren't working in your room have been fixed and I apologize that you were inconvenienced as a result of that. A channel guide and listing of hotel information is provided in a guest room directory located in the nightstand of each room. I'm not sure what website you are referencing that indicates we have restaurants on-site, but we do list restaurants that are in close proximity of the hotel. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our free hot breakfast and that you were satisfied with the cleanliness of your room. I again apologize and hope you will give us a chance to show we can do better.
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We arrived early, after seeing a play at Sight and Sound, and received an UPGRADE OF A SUITE, because our room was not ready!! It worked out just great, as we were there with a friend and her daughter; so we had separate rooms. The staff was so friendly, the indoor pool was fantastic (could be a little warmer), but nothing can compare to when our kids saw the INDOOR WATER PARK!! To see their eye light up, and enjoy everything in it so thoroughly, was beyond what we could have asked for in a weekend. I've never seen such a thing, let a lone inside a facility!! It was simply great though, to have them run around having fun, while we grown ups relaxed in the whirlpool.
The next day we had a continental breakfast, which was SUPER!! More than enough food, steadily replenished...what more could you ask for?
If this is the kind of consistent time we will experience at The Budget Host Inn & Suites, we are sure to return, every time we are in town!! Thank you Dalia, Chantel, and the rest of the great staff!! :-))
Our kids are still wildly talking about it all!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
York, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The motel was amazing my wife and I as well as our 3 kids who stay for 4 nights love the place the food and how friendly everyone else who stayed there were to us. checking in was so easy but checking out was so hard because all the staff made you feel like at home honestly I cant wait to go back to see my family at the budget host inn aka the staff lol REALLY!!!! I would love to give special thanks to front desk clerk BRINDHA and DALIA for best service my family has ever had in a motel. By the way thanks to all the housekeeping staff. P.S to all visitor who go and stay at the budget host know that you most go to there waterpark its a blast for the whole family. THANK YOU BUDGET HOST INN see you soon real soon.

Room Tip: "Rooms on the south side are quieter"
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that our staff provided excellent service; excellent customer service is a priority of our staff. I am glad to hear that you and your family had a great time at the Caribbean Indoor Water Park, attached to our hotel. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to host your family and I look forward to seeing you during your next stay with us!

Been to Budget Host Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!