“Overrated” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 38 hotels in Lancaster
Harrisburg
“Overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

My family of 6 made a visit to the Inn on April 5th. The only thing enjoyed was the water park. If not for the park for the kids, I would not have been interested in staying. Linens were not clean and neither was the bathroom. There was a small fridge inside the room, but with the amount of frost and ice, there was barely any room to store anything inside. Also, the door of the fridge was broken so it wouldn't properly close. This prevented our items from keeping cold. Again, if not for the water park, I would not have been interested in staying.

• Stayed April 2014
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 1 week ago
I'm sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on your last stay with us. We certainly would have liked to have the chance to correct any items you had a concern with during your stay, rather than hearing about them after your check out. We strive very hard to make each guests stay as pleasant as possible. I'm sorry you felt we fell short this time, but I invite you to return to give us another chance. I look forward to having you stay with us again.

115 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Yeagertown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My son is diagnosed with very severe food allergies and has had anaphylaxic reactions to contact allergens. We don't travel since we have learned the level of sensitivity. With reservation and the thought that this isn't going to be possible, I contacted the manager, Ryan, a couple weeks prior to our planned visit to ask about accommodations to help prevent, my son who is 3 years old, from having any reactions and to help keep him safe. Ryan listened and heard the things that I was asking for and even offered things that I didn't think of. I called again the day prior our arrival date to make sure that everything we talked about previously was still good and that he didn't have any new concerns. Ryan obviously took notes or has an amazing memory because he was able to regurgitate our previous conversation almost verbatim.

We arrived to find the cleaning staff finishing up the room with Ryan supervising/assisting.. The trip was a huge success with not even one hive from any contact allergens!!! Without The house keeping staff and Ryan's willingness to listen and take my concerns serious this trip wouldn't have been possible. My son had a fabulous time with his family thanks to the accommodations made by the staff at this hotel!

We will be back again!

The O'Brien Family

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thanks for letting us know about your great experience during your recent stay with us. I am glad that the staff was able to provide your family with a safe environment for your son. I'm glad to hear he and the rest of your family enjoyed your stay. We look forward to having you stay with us again. Thanks for sharing your positive experience!
Breinigsville, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Upon arriving at the room we were confused to see there were only two queen beds in the room. Our reservation was for a family of 5 in a room that said it would accommodate 5. When I asked the manager for a roll away bed for our 5th family member, she refused saying the hotel was booked. I pushed the subject saying the reservation was for 5 people in a room that said it would sleep 5 people. She said for $20 per night I could get a roll away. I insisted that our reservation was for 5 people in a room that would sleep 5 and why should we pay additional money when we already paid $151 per night? Her explanation was that the picture clearly showed 2 beds and I should have known that it would only sleep 4. I argued that my reservation was for 5 people. 2 adults and 3 kids. She said that some families with 3 kids could get all three in one of the beds. I pointed out that isn't true for all families and not for mine. She repeated that she could only give me the roll away if I paid the additional money. She was unkind and rude to me, as was another worker who actually had the gall to say that if I paid so much to book the room for two nights, what was the big deal to pay another $40 for the two nights for the bed? I told him that maybe money wasn't an issue for him but our family works hard for what we have and we can't afford to just throw money away. In the end, they refused to help me unless I paid for the bed and my husband was forced to sleep in a chair! On top of all that, the bathroom was utterly disgusting with the paint peeling off the ceiling and mold growing very obviously on the ceiling! Totally gross. The waterpark was great! The breakfast was good. The manager, customer service, hospitality left much to be desired!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
I'm sorry to hear that you had some confusion concerning your reservation. I'd like to clarify some things concerning your review.

I reviewed the reservation that you made online. I see that you made a reservation for 3/14/14 - 3/16/14 for a room with 2 queen beds for 2 adults and 3 children. I also reviewed the our website, guest room pictures and guest room descriptions to ensure there was no incorrect information. I found all the information to be accurate.

Our room descriptions and pictures clearly indicate what is in each room. Yes, it is correct, that a room with 2 queen beds can hold a maximum of 5 people, however, it is also clearly stated that there are only 2 queen beds in that room. If a guest has 5 people, it is up to the guests' discretion on whether 2 queen beds will be sufficient or if they need to make arrangements for the 5th person (this may include the guest bringing their own air mattress or inquiring to the hotel prior to arrival if a roll-away bed is available and for how much). In some cases, 2 adults could fit on 1 bed and 3 children could fit on the other bed and an extra bed is not required. In some cases, 2 adults could fit on 1 bed, 2 children could fit on the other bed and an infant could be in a crib and an extra bed is not required. This is why it is the guests' discretion, since we at the hotel don't know your circumstances.

The management and staff were doing their jobs, even offering to discount the roll-away bed, to accommodate your situation. A rollaway bed was never refused to you. I'm sorry you felt they were being rude to you, but I believe they were trying to help you to understand your reservation and give you a resolution to your problem.

I apologize for any confusion you had concerning your reservation, however, I feel that the staff handled the situation correctly. I've never had a guest present this type of situation, so I believe what is presented on the website is accurate and informative to everyone who views it. I again apologize that you felt mis-informed.
Dallastown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We really wanted to go the indoor water park so we decided to stay at the Budget Host since you have to stay at 1 of 3 hotels, just to be able to go to the indoor water park. The room was clean, no problems there. The water park was fun. If your used to Great Wolf Lodge and paying crazy high prices then this might not be your cup of tea, but it was great for us on a budget! ! Tip : Bring food in a cooler and bring your own fold up chairs. Depending on when you go, you may not find any seats. There is no restaurant so if you want to eat there, you can either bring your own food, or order from various food places and have it delivered. There are plenty of places to leave and go eat which are local though. (we didnt want to leave so we ordered pizzas). The staff was great and even let me use their phone to order the pizza.. Very helpful for sure. Ok here comes the not so good - the bed in our room was bumpy and not so great to sleep on. We are tired and need sleep now that we are home. The sofa bed was HORRIBLE. Its just straight springs on the so called mattress. I folded over all the blankets and the comforter for my daughter to have a little cushion on that thing. So if you are staying in a room that has the fold out sofa and you plan on using it, bring something to cushion it!! (my cousin also had a room and her room was the exact same way. IF they would just update the beds, I would have rated this a 5! The breakfast worker Donna works her BUTT OFF!! THey really need to hire another lady to help her out. It was super dooper busy for the full hot breakfast buffet, The food was decent and saved us $$ on going out to eat.. They had waffles (you make in waffle makers), eggs, sausage, muffins, toast, bagels and cereals. Good variety. Alll in all it was a good stay, but the beds were awful. We probably wont stay there again unless they upgrade the bedding.. But all in all a good time and it was clean...

Room Tip: Get room with 2 queen beds, maybe you'll have a better chance of getting a bed thats not broken...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. I'm glad to hear that you and your family had a great time at the Caribbean Indoor Water Park. We recently upgraded our bedding package, so perhaps what you are accustomed to at home is different than what we offer. Sofa beds are going to be evaluated in the near future and corrective action taken as needed. I'm glad your room was otherwise satisfactory and the staff you encountered were extremely helpful to you. I hope you will give us another try since you otherwise enjoyed the rest of your stay. I look forward to having you stay with us again.
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We live in Harrisburg and travel to this hotel each year to enjoy their Caribbean Indoor Waterpark. This trip was amazingly great for us. 1st as we walked into the lobby to get checked in we notice the new paint, new check in desk and the new lobby furniture. It was very modern and fresh looking. After check in we went to our room and found that the room had about 8 pillows, a new blanket, and a new carpet. The room was very very clean and smelled fresh. There must be a totally new cleaning staff. As we walked around the pool we saw the new signs for a fitness center and computer center. We found the room with about 3 exercise equipment on one side of the room and two computer with a printer on the other side of the room. It look like there was fresh paint, the room smell clean. The indoor pool was nicely heated. The waterpark was nice like each year, but we noticed that the staff was more professional and friendlier. The next morning we did not know but found out that they had a full continental breakfast that was suppose to start on the Jan. 1, 2014, but their breakfast room was renovated sooner and open to us. Great choice in food and plenty of food. We definitely enjoyed this trip and loved the nice improvments; and plan to visit again next Christmas

Room Tip: Book the 2 bedroom suite, it comes with flat screen tv in each room, two queen beds and a sofa bed i...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us! As you mentioned, we are now offering a free hot breakfast. We have also opened a new fitness center and a new business center. We have also recently remodeled our lobby. For many families, a stay with us has become a Christmas / New Years tradition, since we are centrally located to many restaurants as well as the outlet stores and are home to the Caribbean Indoor Water Park, open year round on the weekends with extended hours during holiday weekends. I look forward to seeing you during your next stay with us!
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We visited our relatives in Harrisburg, Pa. from Ohio. They surprised us by taking us to Lancaster to this hotel and indoor waterpark. We had a nice two bedroom suite and passes to the indoor waterpark. It was snowing outside but inside the waterpark the temperature was excellent. The hotel was clean and had a nice full continental hot breakfast each morning. They even had a exercise room to work out each day. The indoor heated pool was pretty big and just before the door to the indoor waterpark. All of the pools were heated and pretty clean and warm. The hotel was located only a few blocks away from the out let stores and many differenet restaurants. We picked a different restaurant to eat each night while there. This was the best family trip in a long long time !! We may just make this a Christmas tradition for our family each year.

Room Tip: Nice beautiful indoor waterpark and fitness center.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed here a few days before Christmas so that we could take the kids to the indoor waterpark as part of their present. The hotel does not blow you away with décor, but it is a Budget Inn, and the rooms were large and clean which is most important to me. The bathroom lacked counter space but the bathroom could be expanded with renovations since the room is so large. The free hot breakfast the next morning was nice - including cereal, eggs, sausage, pastries, and make your own waffles. All the staff we came in contact with were nice and helpful, including those at the water park.
The water park could also use some cosmetic touch-ups, but it did not take away from the fun that we all had. The locker rooms and showers were clean and very convenient since we had already checked out of the hotel for the day. Towels were also provided. The water park includes two big tube slides (one was closed), a hot tub area, a splash area with about 1" water, and a deeper area with basketball nets and things to climb on. My 4 year old, 7 year old, and both my husband and I had a great time!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us! As you mentioned, we are now offering a free hot breakfast. We have also opened a new fitness center and a new business center. We have also recently remodeled our lobby. I am happy to hear that our staff provided excellent service to you and your family. I look forward to seeing you during your next stay with us!

Been to Budget Host Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!