I'm going to start with the bad part of this hotel:
Upon checking in, I went to unplug the coffee maker (which was plugged into an extension cord, with an adapter because the extension cord did not have a ground prong) so our kid wouldn't play with it, and GOT SHOCKED. Like full out, 120 volt shocked. I then found that the extension cord it was plugged into was completely missing one half of the cover, and had electrical leads exposed (which is what I accidently touched). We also then noticed that the floor did not appear to have been vacuumed - there was a raisin, a piece of a potato chip, and a plastic bead, among other things, laying on the carpet in the room.
I went to the front desk (with cord in hand) to tell them about it, and was offered a new extension cord. Not someone to come check the rest of the plugs, or anything else, but simply a new extension cord. I then told them about the carpet being dirty - to which I was pretty much told that the cleaning staff had left and he'd have to ask what to do about it. No one ever came to vacuum.
Later, we found that the blankets had large holes in them (which appeared to maybe be cigarette burns), the sheets had minor stains, the walls had unpatched holes where things had been removed or where doors had slammed into the wall, the bathroom had small patches of mold near the ceiling and on the caulk, the door latches had been relocated with mismatching screws at a slight angle, the air conditioner was extremely loud, etc, etc, etc.
Then, to top it all off - we're pretty sure the room wasn't even vacuumed for the second night of our stay. I was OK with the lack of toiletries (besides two tiny bars of soap), the crappy towels, the older/cheaper furniture, the slightly peeling wallpaper, etc - after all, this is a budget hotel, but it seems like the basic standards of maintenance and cleanliness just weren't kept
We decided on this hotel because we wanted a suite so our toddler could go to bed early in one room while we stayed up in the other, the price was hard to beat, and the hotel was conveniently located for us. These were about the only good things about it for us (along with staff, that while seemingly confused about a lot of things, were pretty nice), and the only reason I gave it two stars instead of one.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. I'm sorry to hear that you encountered less than desirable conditions in your room. The extension cord has been replaced with a brand new cord and all other outlets and cords within the room were checked to ensure their integrity. We are currently finalizing plans for our winter projects, which includes new blankets and repair/replacement of wallpaper, among other things. I again apologize for what you encountered and I hope you will give us another chance to show you that we can do better. I look forward to seeing you during your next stay!
Report response as inappropriate
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.