“Fun for the kids, basic hotel.” 3 of 5 stars

Announcement
Gift Certificates Avail.
Ranked #22 of 38 Hotels in Lancaster
New Jersey, United States
“Fun for the kids, basic hotel.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We (my husband, myself, and sons, ages 8 and 11) just stayed here for a weekend. Remember people, it's a BUDGET hotel.

PROS:
Clean room
Fridge
Felt safe
Quiet
Friendly, helpful staff
Reasonable rates
Free WiFi
Convenient to everything. Just about everything in Lancaster is within a 20 minute drive.
WATER PARK. My kids had such a blast. It's a good size park, with a wading pool, giant bucket, 2 slides (one was closed when we were there, and from what another person told me, it's been closed since December), a hot tub pool, vortex pool, and basketball hoops. The water is clean, however much of the paint is chipping off the concrete on the bottom and sides of the pool, and the grills are all rusted (I think it was rust anyway). But kids never are bothered with any of that. Also, from what I heard, you don't have to stay at the hotel to use the water park. You can pay just to go to the park.

CONS
No coffee maker or microwave in room
Pillows were lumpy and hard (true of most hotels though)
Bathrooms were pretty scabby. The sink and toilet were clean, but the tub and shower, although clean, had years worth of stains and rust, giving it a "two bit hotel" appearance. Disappointing, because if the bathroom was in better shape, I would have given it another star.
Breakfast. They had some pre-packaged muffins, coffee, and hot water, but no milk, just powered creamers. Dunkin donuts is within walking distance though.

We would definitely go back to the water park. However until this place gets a facelift, I think we'll be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us! I'm also happy to hear that you and your family had a good time in the Caribbean Indoor Water Park. We have been very busy this past year doing many improvements to the property. We still have more planned for the future. Just as a clarification however, you do have to be a hotel guest and book our water park package in order to have access to the water park. I look forward to seeing you during your next stay with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Ellicott City, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

This place was adequate and for the price, you can't expect more. The rooms were comfortable and small, but by the time we're back from the water park, we were so exhausted that we didn't mind the size. This hotel is clearly not new, but it's clean and I felt safe. I like the interior corridors. When it was a Howard Johnson's, there was a nice, hot breakfast, which isn't offered anymore, but there is a Duncan Donuts next door. The water park is super fun for younger kids. I also love the area. There is so much to do. Dutch Wonderland, Cherry Crest Adventure Farm, outlet shopping, balloon rides, buggy rides. If you are expecting luxury or a Great Wolf Lodge-sized water park, this isn't the place, but it's a fun, inexpensive place to create memories and eat donuts.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us! I'm also happy to hear that you and your family had a good time in the Caribbean Indoor Water Park. We have been very busy this past year doing many improvements to the property. We still have more planned for the future. I look forward to seeing you during your next stay with us!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I went with my husband and 3yr old son and we all had blast! At first I was worried because I was afraid that the rooms would be as bad as others posted. The only thing that I had to complain about was the sink had an issue, but they fixed it as soon as we complained. There was no microwave in the room...that was a big disappointment because my son and husband like to eat in the middle of night, so we had to go to lobby in our pjs to heat up food :(. The staff was friendly and helpful! The indoor pool and prices was a big reason I choose this hotel and neither was a disappointment. The indoor waterpark was simple, but fun! It had a sauna for adults while the kids play and I must say I have not seen that in other indoor waterpark. I truly enjoyed my stay and I will be back!

• Stayed April 2013
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us! I'm also happy to hear that you and your family had a good time in the Caribbean Indoor Water Park. We have been very busy this past year doing many improvements to the property. We still have more planned for the future. Thank you for alerting us about the issue with your sink and giving us the opportunity to correct it for you during your stay to your satisfaction. I look forward to seeing you during your next stay with us!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

At first I was hesitant because I read these reviews before I went. I just returned from my trip today. My family myself, spouse, 9 year old, 8, and 3 year old had a room on the first floor near the pool and close to the water park entrance. At first I thought it would be noisy but it was not. This was Easter weekend and there were a lot of families. I found the check in easy and the staff very nice. I was checked in early eventhough the room was not ready I was told to use the indoor pool. The room we stayed in was very clean, no smells, everything worked great. The bathroom shower had great pressure and the temp of the shower was excellent...I like hot water! Just remember this is named "budget" host inn. There is no coffee maker in the room they have coffee in the lobby and some snacks that are wrapped. We went next door to the Dunkin Donuts and the next day to McDonalds. There is so much in walking distance as well. We did have a fridge in the room. The water park was nice my kids loved it. The pool in the hotel was heated and very nice. My kids were very happy and want to return again. If you are looking for a 5 star hotel this isn't the place. It seemed to be an old HoJo, which brought back memories of my childhood!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

I will say that my kids, 9 and 11, loved the water park. Sadly, that's the only nice thing I can say... This place is a dump! The rooms are tired and ratty looking. The bathroom had the thinnest towels I had ever seen and cracked tiles everywhere. They obviously have decided to not put anything into this property. I called to the desk to ask about wireless, and I was told "I don't know." The pillow were thin and mushy. The heat/ac didn't work very well. All in all this place is a disaster...and an expensive one!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
I'm sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on your last stay with us. We certainly would have liked to have the chance to correct any items you had a concern with during your stay, rather than hearing about them after your check out. We strive very hard to make each guests stay as pleasant as possible. I'm sorry you felt we fell short this time, but I invite you to return to give us another chance. We have been very busy this past year doing many improvements to the property, as stated in the many postivie reviews, but I'm sorry that we didn't meet your expectations. I look forward to having you stay with us again.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

The water park is really nice kids loved it as for the hotel it is a dump. It's an abandoned Howard Johnson's and I am not sure it's been updated since they owned it. Employees are dumpy looking with tattoo's at least hey are nice. Room really stinks and I have seen one cock roach so far. Won't return here

Room Tip: None stay some where else and just come here for the water park
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed here two weeks ago for the waterpark. It was everything I expected. Our room was updated and the beds were comfy. Im funny about cleanliness of a place and this hotel was very very good about it. My son loved the waterpark. The dumping bucket was his favorite. The staff were very nice. They helped us find a restaurant. For us we didn't eat breakfast there. We went next door to dunkin donuts, which we knew we were gonna go there anyway when the girl told us they serve a small breakfast. I already knew when I booked this reservation it wasn't for a 5 star hotel. We went just for the waterpark and a bed to sleep in for 6 hours. All and all I had no complaints. The waterpark was clean. I didn't see any algae in there or I wouldn't have let my son play. Room was clean. There was no bugs or any sign of bugs. Staff was very nice and helpful both at the waterpark and the front desk. The hotel is dated on the outside and in the lobby but the waterpark and the room made up for everything.

Room Tip: Our room was near door c on the first floor and it was nice and quiet but yet close to the waterpark...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us! I'm also happy to hear that you and your family had a good time in the Caribbean Indoor Water Park. We have been very busy this past year doing many improvements to the property. We still have more planned for the future and some items that you mentioned will be addressed. I look forward to seeing you during your next stay with us!

Been to Budget Host Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!