“ended up driving home” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 38 Hotels in Lancaster
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“ended up driving home”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

our room was "recently renovated"...i believe all they did was put up a new shower curtain. room was dirty, tiles were cracked and coming off and the beds were not clean looking. i did not feel comfortable sleeping there, and i certainly did not want my children sleeping there. no frills either... only two tiny bars of soap (no shampoo, etc.) luckily, we only lived 1.5 hrs away, so we drove home. waterpark was ok, but pretty cold.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
I'm sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on your last stay with us. We certainly would have liked to have the chance to correct any items you had a concern with during your stay, rather than hearing about them after your check out. We strive very hard to make each guests stay as pleasant as possible. I'm sorry you felt we fell short this time, but I invite you to return to give us another chance. We have been very busy this past year doing many improvements to the property, as stated in the many postivie reviews, but I'm sorry that we didn't meet your expectations. I look forward to having you stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

The hotel itself is pretty run down. Holes in walls, dirty carpets, in the hallway some carpet was tattered.But it's not the worst I've stayed in. you get what you for. Staff is friendly and the security guard walked around the halls. They have coffee in the lobby. The pool is a decent size. And the indoor waterpark which we purchased with our hotel package ($12 per person if not with package) was enjoyable. 2 big tube slides that were really fast; hot tub that the kids can go in; shallow pool with a water dumping tank and water shooting guns; And another pool varied between 3ft and 4ft., with ropes to climb across ontop of an alligator and a 4 hoop basketball area inside the pool, also in that pool there was a small vortex pool (kids loved that). It's right across the street from Dutch Wonderland. Shopping and food within walking distance. I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us! I am also glad to hear that you and your family had a good time at the Caribbean Indoor Water Park. We are in the midst of completing replacement of our hallway carpet, as well as some room carpets, so the next time you return, that project should be completed! I look forward to seeing you during your next stay with us!
Bradford, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I have NEVER before written a review of a hotel online...but this place requires that I do so. This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I told the people at the desk about it, but what can you do when the place is just a dump? It needs to be shut down and a major renovation needs completed. We stayed here because of the indoor water park, which wasn't even nice. The only good thing is our kids didn't realize what a dump it was and had fun despite the place. Someone in this area needs to put in a Great Wolf Lodge or Splash Lagoon kind of place and the would make a boat load of money. The Lancaster Budget Host Inn would be out of business in a week. There is not one nice thing I can say about the hotel. If you are an experienced traveler and have ever stayed at another indoor water park resort, you will be greatly disappointed. Do NOT stay here. I am still shocked that so many people have rated this highly. I will doubt Trip Advisor ratings because of it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
I'm sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on your last stay with us. We certainly would have liked to have the chance to correct any items you had a concern with during your stay, rather than hearing about them at check out. We strive very hard to make each guests stay as pleasant as possible. I'm sorry you felt we fell short this time, but I invite you to return to give us another chance. We have been very busy this past year doing many improvements to the property, as stated in the many postivie reviews, but I'm sorry that we didn't meet your expectations. I look forward to having you stay with us again.
Main Line, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This hotel is pretty much a dump. Only saving grace is that it's attached to the indoor water park (you don't have to go outside), the only reason we picked the place. The waterpark has seen better days and wasn't even very clean but our kids still had fun there and it wasn't crowded, which was nice for us parents.
I would definitely give this hotel 1 star if it were not for the water park. It's an old Howard Johnson and it still has the trademark orange pitched roof. The lobby smelled of the clerks dinner being cooked in the microwave and was dirty and outdated. They only seemed to hire young and pierced teens and twenty somethings who don't seem to care much about anything. Front desk staff was fine but not particularly friendly or interested and one lifeguard at the waterpark with her black lace bra and teeny white tank top was doing backbends by the pool. Nice touch.
The room itself was a dump. It was labeled non-smoking on the door but stunk of old cigarette smoke. Wallpaper was peeling, there were holes in the sheets and blankets, hairs in the bathroom, cracks on the walls and floors, chips on the bathroom counter and furniture, stains on the carpet, a loud whistling sound each time you flushed the toilet....the list goes on and on. I've never even thought of this before, but I actually checked for bed bugs before getting in the bed, just in case. Didn't find any thankfully. But still wanted to shower and get out first thing in the morning. And all this still cost over $100 for the night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
I'm sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on your last stay with us. We certainly would have liked to have the chance to correct any items you had a concern with during your stay, rather than hearing about them after the fact. We strive very hard to make each guests stay as pleasant as possible. I'm sorry you felt we fell short this time, but I invite you to return to give us another chance. We have been very busy this past year doing many improvements to the property, as stated in the many postivie reviews, but I'm sorry that we didn't meet your expectations. I look forward to having you stay with us again.
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We stay at the Budget Host to enjoy the Water Park and that is the best part of it all.
The room was satisfactory although some wall paper under the desks was coming off. The room was clean and the beds were very comfortable. What was unpleasant was the loud alarm that went off three times in the night due to someone smoking. That had to be a pretty sensitive alarm. It is not fun to be woken up three times by this loud alarm.They did escort the person out in the AM but by that time it was too late for a decent sleep. This hotel is near all the attractions and the Sight and Sounds Theater. Everyone was pleasant and they brought a cot to our room very quickly. We'd probably stay again.

Room Tip: The first floor is nice and just a walk to the two indoor pools....One a waterpark.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
I am glad to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us! I do apologize for the alarm; unfortunately some guests do not consider others when they violate hotel polices. However, it sounds like that did not diminish from the great time you had in the Caribbean Indoor Water Park. I look forward to seeing you during your next stay with us!
Lakewood, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My family and I have been going to this hotel for 6 or 7 years now.. On dec. 8th we had gone as we do every year and the rooms were DISGUSTING... we left at 11:00pm for another hotel after my husband found what looked like a cockroach on the wall. And as for the water park...which we have enjoyed since our girls were young...was in disrepair with teenagers practically having sex in the hot tub...NO ADULT SUPERVISION... I plan on reporting this hotel and waterpark to the BBB.What a shame it used to be such a nice family get away.. Now you could NOT PAY ME TO STAY there...

Room Tip: never ever stay at the Budget Inn Host Hotel in Lancaster Pa
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
I'm sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on your last stay with us. We certainly would have liked to have the chance to correct any items you had a concern with during your stay, rather than hearing about them after the fact. We strive very hard to make each guests stay as pleasant as possible. As a satisfied guest that has been coming to our hotel for many years, you should know that we strive very hard to make your stay as comfortable as possible. I'm sorry you felt we fell short this time, but I invite you to return to give us another chance. I look forward to having you stay with us again.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Some backstory: We have been heading to Lancaster for the Thanksgiving holiday for the past 10 years. While there we have stayed at many hotels - The Steamboat, the Willow Valley Inn, and Lancaster Suites to name a few. The last 4 years we have been heading to the Budget, mostly because of their indoor water park which our two young boys enjoy. When it first opened it was clean, the Indoor Water Park was in full use, and they provided a breakfast room. Now, the rooms are dirty, the Water Park is in need of repairs and the "complimentary breakfast" are some pre-packaged muffins and stale coffee. The people at the front desk laughed at the "free breakfast" when we checked in. The water park has caution tape around many of the "attractions" and the one slide has been closed for at least 3 years. Not to mention the dirty rooms, with what appears to be unwashed linens. Having stayed there many years, the negative reviews are spot on - there is masking tape covering old signs, the doors do not self close like other hotels, so you better make sure you pull it shut. The televisions are not hi-def, and there are no shampoos, or conditioners in the room. And in fact nothing had changed from the previous year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
vincent b, Manager at Budget Host Inn & Suites, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. I'm just a bit confused, as a guest that has been coming here for years, how you could not notice the many improvements that have occured here over the past year alone. This year, we have gotten new furniture, new pictures, new bedspreads with new skirts, new lampshades and new linen, just to name a few of the improvements we have done. Right now, we are in the process of painting the hallways, putting new carpet in the hallways and replacing carpet in the guestrooms. Items such as shampoo, extra soaps and extra towels are always available at our front desk upon request. I wish I could have had the chance to address your concerns during your stay and took action to make your stay more enjoyable, rather than hearing about them after the fact. I apologize that we feel short of your expectations, but I invite you to return and give us another chance, so you can have a better experience, as described by other reviewers.

Been to Budget Host Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!