“Budget motel=Excellent value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 38 hotels in Lancaster
long island, new york
“Budget motel=Excellent value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

As per Tripadvisors rules you can comment more than once on a lodging property, so here I am again. I do not agree agree with most of the negitive reviews on the Econoldge North in Lancaster PA. If you base it on price paid <$35.99 + tax senior rate> It is the best value around. The rooms are clean.Beds are comfortable. Free wifi. Great working shower with fluffy towels. Mini fridge. Rooms on the back side of the hotel face working amish farms with no noise from the outside world. The young ladies working the front desk were very polite and accomodating when asked questions. The free continential breakfast was ok with various sweet rolls and coffee and juice. The location could not be better with tourist attractions, great restaurants and excellent shopping a stones throw away. Do understand that this is a budget motel=But a great value!!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Douglassville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

We stayed at Econolodge North because of a family wedding and this hotel seemed like a good option for all the family members as it was located close to everything and provided a continental breakfast; and the price seemed reasonable.

Check in went smoothly. Our family group had 4 rooms and the bride's family group had 3 more rooms, and everyone's rooms were in close proximity so we could all socialize. The rooms were fine, bed was a little firm to my taste though. The TV had a limited selection of channels and the reception on a couple was poor. The kids did like watching Toy Story on Starz, though. The hotel was very clean, though the rug on the stairs going up to the second floor is getting a little worn looking. Shower was nice & hot with lots of water pressure. Nice fluffy towels.

Continental breakfast is coffee & tea in the lobby area with orange juice and a large assortment of pastries, bagels, toast (there's a toaster), english muffins, jellies, cream cheese, etc. There is no room to eat there. It's strictly make up a plate and take to your room. But it is handy to have.

The afternoon before the wedding was rainy so we took the little ones to the American Toy Train Museum about 2 miles away in Strasburg - highly recommended. The location of the hotel is right in the middle of everything so you can go to the American Music Theater, Dutch Wonderland, Outlet Shopping, and more all within a mile or so.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back overlook a working farm.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Manahawkin, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

Stayed 2 nights. On arrival tried to flush toilet, it didn't go down. This was just with plain water. Went to clerk and said toilet didn't go down. Shre offered me a plunger. I said you're kidding. Either get me a maintenance person or give me another room. Place was filthy. After staying the two nights and on our way home we had some itching and bumps on our arms, back and face. This proved to be BED BUG BITES. Not just a couple but over 50. I would recommend this place to Osama Bin Laden and maybe the devil himself. You get what you pay for but the bugs wern't supposed to be included.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010 via mobile

I arrived at 9:00pm. After 20 minutes, I was checked in. My son was asleep. I decided to take a shower. As I was about to get in the shower, a man entered my room & then left immediately. I got dressed and went to the front desk. The woman at the front apologized & told me she had given another guest my card key access. After discussing the situation further, i called choice hotels directly and filed a complaint. After many attempts to contact the owner/ manager, he called me back the next day. He told me that I should have used the dead bolt and chain. I told him that my card access should not have been given away.

You are not safe! Your possessions are not safe!

• Stayed September 2010
PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Econo Lodge North with our 3 children (ages 5, 3.5,2) for our trip to Dutch Wonderland. A couple years back we had stayed at the Country Inn of Lancaster for around double the price of the Econo Lodge. Our thinking was that the Econo Lodge would merely be a place to sleep. For that it fit the bill perfectly. Yes it is "dated", but it was clean & comfortable. Yes, the continental breakfast is very minimal, but there are restaurants up & down US 30 including a Dunkin Donuts right across the street. Sure it is on a busy highway (US 30), but so are most of the other establishments (Howard Johnson, Quality Inn, Knights Inn, Super 8, Country Inn of Lancaster, Country Inn & Suites, etc.) - they are all along the same strip. It is a bare bones roadside motel, so if you are looking for a "resort" to lounge around in then do not book here. If you are looking for the charm of Amish Lancaster County, then you should not book in the City of Lancaster - you should be looking at other towns in the county, but outside the city (perhaps Intercourse, Bird in Hand, etc.).
Comparing/contrasting to the Country Inn of Lancaster, this hotel is cheaper but does not have a pool like the Country Inn. The rooms were about the same between the two establishments. The Country Inn has nicer common areas and the continental breakfast is slightly better. But for us this did not justify the difference in price.
All in all if you are just looking for a place to lay your head after a day a Dutch Wonderland, then this is a good budget friendly place to do so. If you want ammenities and don't mind paying more then keep looking. Hope that helps you plan your trip.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Wellington, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

Stay away! I would never have even checked in had I not traveled for 10 hours on my way to NY. However, I pulled in at 10:15pm exhausted. I had booked through expedia and wished I would have read the Tripadvisor's site first because I would never have booked it. Where do I start? First of all, I realize this is an Econolodge, so my expectations were minimal. When you enter the reception area, it is completely a mess. Boxes all over. The couch there was old and dirty looking. The breakfast area was a joke. Like others wrote everything looks dirty. Checked out first thing in the morning. I will say, I felt safe and there was internet in my room that worked well. Spend a little more money and stay in a clean place. Buyer beware!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Charlottesville, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

We didn't spend the night here. The lobby of the hotel was like a sauna, "high speed" internet was only available in the lobby. We booked a non-smoking room, which was across the hall from a smoking room, our room smelled like stale cigarettes. The last straw was the beds, which felt like a hospital gurney, without the padding. The only "good" thing about this place was the ease of checking out, the girl at the desk was very friendly throughout.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge North? Share your experiences!