“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2285 Lincoln Highway East, Lancaster, PA 17602   |
Ranked #24 of 36 Hotels in Lancaster
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This trip was one of the best trips of my life. I had a great time and they had a lot to do there. I also loved the Amish houses and stores I went to. So I recommend this place for you to go to. For example, thunder and lightning outside when swimming? No problem! Just go to the indoor pool. You get bored? Well, ho to the game room, or go hand out. The hotel is close to the amusement park Dutch wonderland. They have amazing rides, and it is really a great familybexperience. PS, they have a water area.

_

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Centreville, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

The Continental Inn is pretty average. The beds were OK & the linens were clean. Our room had a refrigerator which is always nice to hold the snacks & soft drinks. The room was at the furthest end of the hotel & the complete opposite end from the driveway entrance but at least it was quiet. The sink counter was broken off the wall on one side so the counter was crooked. I didn't care for the coffee pot to be on the bathroom counter either. There was a small table that was handy to put the computer on or sit & read. I had called ahead of time to find out if they offered free breakfast on the Sunday morning I would be there & they said at the time that they hadn't decided. I thought that was pretty strange. Either your policy is free breakfast, breakfast available at the restaurant or no breakfast. When we arrived, we found out there would be free breakfast starting at 8:00am & we couldn't go to it because it was too late for our plans.

Room Tip: Rooms on the end furthest from the lobby have the view of farmland. It's quiet & no road noi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Amenities are ok. Fairly average hotel until you walk around in your room in your socks which a lot of people like to do. I don't think the carpets in the room my family and I stayed in were ever steamed cleaned or shampooed. My sock were filthy and so was that carpet. What would it take. You then have to ask, were the carpets even vacuumed?

Room Tip: Don't go bare foot.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed here for two nights because they had a pool and offered a free breakfast. The hotel is late 70's dated looking, if that matters to anyone, it doesn't matter to me as long as it's clean. I was charged $76.00 a night by the time taxes were added. I was not pleased to learn that you only got two free breakfasts. That would have been nice to know. I was charged 10.00 for my 4 year old and 2 year old to eat, and then a suggested tip of $1.00 per person (we were a party of four). Here's my thing about tips: You are supposed to do a good job regardless of what you do. Let a person decide if they WANT to leave you a tip. At least the breakfast is good though. Let's just say I can easily feed my whole family for about $2.00 or less everyday, so having to pay $10 for two of my kids was annoying. At least it tasted good, compliments to the chef. Pool was nice, a little colder than I like, but it worked. Sauna took forever to heat up. Two hours and it never got past 140 degrees. Hot tub felt great. Poolhouse was a little dingy. Was disappointed there was no microwave in the room, thank God I brought my hot plate and a pan. My AAA Book said there were micros in all the rooms, so I didn't know there wasn't. The beds were comfortable, the linens were clean. The bathroom needed to either be cleaned or updated, not sure which, it wasn't really dirty, just looked like it could use a tile job and fresh paint. Air conditioner/heater blows out a lot of cold air, had to turn it off as it nearly froze me on its high heat setting. Overall, if I ever make my way back to Lancaster, I would probably pick somewhere else, as I even noticed when I was paying for breakfast, I was paying more for my room than anyone else staying there (they check your name off the guest list for breakfast, and it has the price you pay for your room right on it, many other people were paying 49.50 a night or in the $50 range.)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This has to be the worst hotel I've ever slept in. The rooms are horrible small, the beds are tiny, (I'm not from the lollipop guild). No outlets. Smells like mold. I actually checked the beds for bugs! Slept in all my clothes and never crossed my mind to get under covers. We got stuck here, because the soccer tourney gets kickbacks from the hotels. And they charged out credit card 3 weeks in advance. If not, I would've been checking out. But then the team gets disqualified. Seriously not worth 19.99 a night! Horrible! So outdated, smelly, nasty! How others gave this hotel 5 stars, I don't understand! There were dead flies in the drawers. They had fly swatters with their hotel name in em in drawers.

• Stayed November 2012
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I guess everyone has had different experiences with this hotel, but all I have to say is that it was great. The only negative thing I have to say is that the bed was way too soft!!!! The staff was friendly, the room was clean and they also give you 2 free complete hot breakfasts every morning!!! They have outdoor and indoor pools, whirpool, sauna, game room!!! I only paid $66.00 a night but I went in December so I guess it was cheaper than what others paid because of the season. Another plus is that it is located near everything (restaurants, shopping, outlets, etc.) I would definately stay here again and would recommend you to try it!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I want to start with a statement about my expectations. We participated in The Hempfield Classic Soccer Tournament, November 17 & 18, 2012. One of the requirements of this tournament was that our team stay 2 nights at an approved hotel, booked through the tournament. When I was looking at reviews, I also used Priceline to get a room quote. The room we stayed in would be available for $68 under normal conditions. We were charged $120 per night and had to stay a night we would not have otherwise. My review reflects my expectations of a $240 plus tax, fees, and often mentioned tips weekend hotel stay. The number 1 ranked hotel in Lancaster, the Best Western Premier is in the same price range as this motel. Last summer we stayed at the fabulous Marriot Baltimore Inner Harbor Camden Yards for a summer promotion. King sized room and parking was $130. This stay has set the standard.

My biggest complaint, and the one that made our stay unsatisfactory, was that this is a motel, not a hotel. At $120 per night in the rural countryside, I expect a hotel with security and comfort. Our room opened to a parking lot backing woods and a campground on one side and a farm on the other. Had I been traveling with younger children, I would have been much more nervous. As a woman alone with a middle schooler I was not completely at ease.

Positives:
Staff. By far the greatest asset of the Continental Inn is the staff. From check-in until check-out all the staff was friendly and helpful.
Generally Clean.
Towels were clean, white and absorbent.
Shower water pressure.
Lobby included a small sitting area with a gas fireplace, game room, small bar and breakfast restaurant.
Started breakfast early due to game schedule.
Mini Refrigerator.
WiFi was reliable at the far end of the complex.

Neutral:
Breakfast - would have liked bacon and waffles and they had trouble keeping up with demand early Saturday morning. I arrived shortly after 7 when they opened and several people were waiting for pancakes and they were out of scrambled eggs and sausage. It was busy and they wanted people who arrived minutes after me to join tables with strangers. We went later on Sunday and there were no issues.

Negatives:
Old. Not just outdated but worn out.
Mildew musty smell.
Built-In Air and Heating Unit. I have developed allergies and these units used for temperature control cause me problems anywhere. Our room has a cigarette can just beside our door. Although it was clean and remained that way, the stale cigarette smell was trapped in our filter and released whenever the fan was on. My hair sucked it in and I smelled like I had been to a bar in the 80’s. I couldn’t wait until an appropriate hour to get a shower and wash.
Manure smell. While it is not the hotels fault, and farms are certainly expected in Lancaster. Had this been a HOTEL, the air would have been clean in the building. It was just one of those bonding moments with the parents of our team. I was so happy to be clean and fresh. I went to breakfast in the lobby which is air conditioned and not backing the farm. As soon as I turned the corner to our side of the complex WHAM! Sure enough, the odor permeated our room as well!
Sheets. These are horrible. Old, rough, faded, elastic stretched so the bottom sheet doesn’t stay in place, perhaps a thread count of 75. Shameful.
Pillow. One pillow was acceptable on my bed, the other was perhaps the thickness and firmness of our comforter at home.
TV channels. This was a soccer tournament, we are sports fans. All we watch are sporting events and sports shows. No ESPN!!!! If our stay had included Thursday, Sunday or Monday we could have watched football on the NFL channel, but no other sports channel available.
No microwave.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Continental Inn? Share your experiences!